Sri Lanka bombings

55 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Do we have to do the Muslims vs Christians again? 

Actually, that isn't what that particular valid part of the conversation was about.  It is actually about the media and politicians and their reticence to be open and assertive about the plight of Christians.  As I said in my post, our Foreign Secretary has rightly pointed out that the plight of Christians throughout the world has been neglected; they are now the most persecuted religious group and yet nobody on here would know that because the media and politicians don't highlight it.  My reference was clearly to the Democrats in the USA; not Muslims.  Maybe the problem is with how others are knee-jerking to that aspect of the discussion rather than what was actually said.

However, on another point, isn't it utterly terrible that two families appear to have lost multiple children?  How gut-wrenching that is.  The owner of ASOS appears to have lost three of his four children and a British father is now without his wife and two children.  I am sure many Sri Lankans have also suffered in this way although we have not been told of any specific Sri Lankan families.  That more than anything has stuck in my head this morning as I listen to updated news.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Nope , just religious nutjobs v religious nutjobs will suffice 

I really think that is a distasteful comment given that some 310 people have been brutally murdered, most of whom were Christian folk harmlessly attending church on Easter Sunday.

52 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I really think that is a distasteful comment given that some 310 people have been brutally murdered, most of whom were Christian folk harmlessly attending church on Easter Sunday.

Some unfortunately cannot bring themselves to isolate the problem and call it by its name. We always get the usual “religion is bad” whenever certain perpetrators are responsible and every religion is tarnished with the same brush when only one is responsible. The problem is this attitude is pretty widespread in society meaning that it will never be fixed.

How can you fix a problem when you refuse to acknowledge it? 

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

You've acknowledged it.

How would you fix it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You've acknowledged it.

How would you fix it?

Admittedly it’s not as easy as just fixing it. However the current approach of sweeping it underneath the carpet and acting like it doesn’t exist is not making things better. But that’s a topic for another thread 

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Some unfortunately cannot bring themselves to isolate the problem and call it by its name. We always get the usual “religion is bad” whenever certain perpetrators are responsible and every religion is tarnished with the same brush when only one is responsible. The problem is this attitude is pretty widespread in society meaning that it will never be fixed.

Islamic terrorism has dominated the airwaves for many years, it’s a regular feature on TV. Since when has it not been raised as an issue?

Here in Australia, we’ve also been locking up child raping religious workers from a whole range of religious groups for quite a few years. Many variations of Christianity were involved. We’re currently also trying to get a Jewish leader extradited from Israel. Christian leaders are also saying they will refuse to follow new laws compelling them to report to the police if they hear about child abuse during confession.

So forgive us if we think “religion is bad”. It’s bringing heartache in Sri Lanka and has brought 100 years of widespread child raping (and indigenous child stealing) to Australia.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Islamic terrorism has dominated the airwaves for many years, it’s a regular feature on TV. Since when has it not been raised as an issue?

Here in Australia, we’ve also been locking up child raping religious workers from a whole range of religious groups for quite a few years. Many variations of Christianity were involved. We’re currently also trying to get a Jewish leader extradited from Israel. Christian leaders are also saying they will refuse to follow new laws compelling them to report to the police if they hear about child abuse during confession.

So forgive us if we think “religion is bad”. It’s bringing heartache in Sri Lanka and has brought 100 years of widespread child raping (and indigenous child stealing) to Australia.

Don’t be disingenuous please. Sure it gets mentioned but that’s usually in a general context. It never gets pinpointed on actual attack like it should be with Sri Lanka. 

Also you’re well within your right to think that religion is bad. Nobody is trying to police your thoughts. My issue is with the timing of those sentiments. It always seems to pop up when Islamic terrorists carry out an attack so as to not single out Islam. Any other religion or ideology is called out explicitly if they carried out the attacks. Islamic attacks gets a general response which make all religions look bad because like I said, the refusal to single it out. It’s cowardly and pathetic!

Please learn to read and comprehend instead of arguing with strawmen 

7 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Don’t be disingenuous please. Sure it gets mentioned but that’s usually in a general context. It never gets pinpointed on actual attack like it should be with Sri Lanka. 

Also you’re well within your right to think that religion is bad. Nobody is trying to police your thoughts. My issue is with the timing of those sentiments. It always seems to pop up when Islamic terrorists carry out an attack so as to not single out Islam. Any other religion or ideology is called out explicitly if they carried out the attacks. Islamic attacks gets a general response which make all religions look bad because like I said, the refusal to single it out. It’s cowardly and pathetic!

Please learn to read and comprehend instead of arguing with strawmen 

Are you feeling any warmth in the nether regions, there appears to be smoke coming from your trousers. Also you could go to a fancy dress party as pinocchio.

The Terrorist shooter in New Zealand idntified as a christian but no one has attacked christianity as a religion over it, no mention was made of the religion or otherwise of the shooters in Las Vegas or Sandy Hook.  The nail bomber who attacked the Admiral Duncan, Brixton Market and Brick Lane was rightly identfied as a neo-nazi but his religion was never discussed.

Identify these people as what they are and what they do, they are cowards and murderers. Their religion is immaterial. 

On 22/04/2019 at 08:18, Saintslass said:

I'm not aware of any groups other than Islamist terrorists which use suicide bombers?  

The Japanese famously used to do it in the Second World War. 

Far less well known is the fact that the Germans did too.     Very late in the war German pilots on suicide missions deliberately flew their specially adapted Me109s into US bombers and destroyed 8 of the 15 they attacked.    There was only one mission flown before the war ended. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Refuse to acknowledge it?

What the hell are you on about?

The West, led by the USA and aided and abetted by the UK just fought a fifteen year war on two fronts, costing somewhere in the region of $3.5 trillion and at least 250,000 deaths directly and millions more indirectly. 

That’s a lot of blood and treasure pointlessly spent on a problem that we’re refusing to acknowledge.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

38 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The Terrorist shooter in New Zealand idntified as a christian but no one has attacked christianity as a religion over it, no mention was made of the religion or otherwise of the shooters in Las Vegas or Sandy Hook.  The nail bomber who attacked the Admiral Duncan, Brixton Market and Brick Lane was rightly identfied as a neo-nazi but his religion was never discussed.

What a load of absolute rubbish! Do you any evidence for that claim because it’s a pretty serious one? 

10 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Refuse to acknowledge it?

What the hell are you on about?

The West, led by the USA and aided and abetted by the UK just fought a fifteen year war on two fronts, costing somewhere in the region of $3.5 trillion and at least 250,000 deaths directly and millions more indirectly. 

That’s a lot of blood and treasure pointlessly spent on a problem that we’re refusing to acknowledge.

That just sounds like deflection. That has absolutely nothing to do with this. You’ll also find that the “war on terror” was nothing but a scam 

19 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

What a load of absolute rubbish! Do you any evidence for that claim because it’s a pretty serious one? 

yes thanks, using the YK school of debate, you can go and find it.

Archived