Jackson Hastings

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Whilst that is true, even if it weren't the case that relegation caused that issue it would still be difficult to do so.

Australia have a couple of advantages in this respect 1 they have no relegation which as you say makes it less risky, but they also have a true feeder system where halves can mature.

But my point is they don't mature their halves in their feeder systems... they play them. Tom Dearden is younger than Harry Smith but the Broncos coach was happy to give him the number 7 jersey and back him as his long term half.

Nathan Cleary is only 21 years old and has played 71 times in the NRL and 5 times for New South Wales. If they are good enough Australian coaches play halves and actually develop them in a first team environment while playing with and against the best players in the country. 

Over here we ship them to a part time comp to be coached by lesser coaches and play with and against lesser players while saying they are 'learning their trade' and then we wonder why the Kangaroo half backs are better than ours year after year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Consequential as in the consequences for finishing bottom of the table in Super League are far more impactful for a club than finishing bottom of the NRL.

I believe that these consequences have an impact on how teams manage their squads and how their decisions on player development and acquisition become more short term in their approach.

In Tomkins case he was brought into the team after Wigan had lost their first 3 games and went on to replace experienced NRL player Smith in the halves.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

and then was dropped, and then came back on the subs bench, then his club went out and signed Paul Deacon. 

Oh give it up Scotchy. You've not got a clue what you are talking about and are arguing for the sake of it. One minute you say people are having a different argument then you continue it. You also keep contradicting yourself and changing your argument. How many Wigan games did you watch in 2009 and 2010 that makes you such an expert? People would have a damn site more respect if you ever just admitted when you were wrong instead of repeating the same discredited statements ad nauseam.

1 hour ago, latchford albion said:

Semi Radradra playing for the Norwegians on the heritage rule?

Tostig got into the Norwegian side on their  heritage rule. They say he was a bit of a comedian, but he died a death in the end.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Plenty, 

At the beginning of 2009 Tomkins was expected to play 10 games https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/tomkins-tipped-for-top-1-189594

By the end of 2010 he playing FB

The fact remains, it is incredibly rare for clubs to go in to a season with a young half as first choice 

He played the majority of games in 2010 at Stand Off. Phelps and Richards played the majority of the season there before Tomkins even played there. That is a fact. You were wrong, as you have been consistently on this thread. Keep googling and scraping the barrell for an argument though. An argument which you frequently try to change when your dressed up opinions are proven wrong.

Didn't coach McGuire move Samkins to full back after the loss at home to Saints in June/July 2010? He was a success without question.

Harry Smith is wasted on the absurd dual registration arrangement.

If there was a mandatory reserve grade he would at least be playing and training at his club. Is reserve grade mandatory from 2020? It would stop the sad loss of players from our game.

Hope we get Jackson Hastings as I like competition for places from quality players. Remember when Wigan had: Offiah, Robinson and Tuigomala (forgive spelling? Tugga ended up in the centres.

With a vastly increased salary cap and a reserve grade our game would be in a far better and healthier shape.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

22 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Didn't coach McGuire move Samkins to full back after the loss at home to Saints in June/July 2010? He was a success without question.

Harry Smith is wasted on the absurd dual registration arrangement.

If there was a mandatory reserve grade he would at least be playing and training at his club. Is reserve grade mandatory from 2020? It would stop the sad loss of players from our game.

Hope we get Jackson Hastings as I like competition for places from quality players. Remember when Wigan had: Offiah, Robinson and Tuigomala (forgive spelling? Tugga ended up in the centres.

With a vastly increased salary cap and a reserve grade our game would be in a far better and healthier shape.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

With a vastly increased salary cap , Wigan would be in trouble 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So why would you need more salary cap ? 

I never said we did, I was merely pointing out that if any club is well equipped to continue to be competitive under any system, it would be the one with the best youth development. Which is us. 

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I never said we did, I was merely pointing out that if any club is well equipped to continue to be competitive under any system, it would be the one with the best youth development. Which is us. 

I replied to riversider , he wants a ' vastly ' increased SC , this on a thread about another clubs player , so that would suggest he thinks Wigan are awash with cash they cannot spend 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Not really. It's losing them to the NRL which is the issue, not other SL clubs.

The bottom line is Wigan produce more players than they need , you will always lose players , but as I put above , this is about Wigan wanting a player from another club 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The bottom line is Wigan produce more players than they need , you will always lose players , but as I put above , this is about Wigan wanting a player from another club 

Wigan letting players go because they are not good enough and losing players they don't want to lose because they are not allowed to pay them more are two distinctly different things.

There are many reasons why a big salary cap increase would be of benefit to the game in this country, hence Wigan Riverside also saying about the game being in far better and healthier shape.

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

Wigan letting players go because they are not good enough and losing players they don't want to lose because they are not allowed to pay them more are two distinctly different things.

There are many reasons why a big salary cap increase would be of benefit to the game in this country, hence Wigan Riverside also saying about the game being in far better and healthier shape.

You can wish for the moon , but if you can't afford it , you won't get there 

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You can wish for the moon , but if you can't afford it , you won't get there 

If they can they can, if they can't they can't. I'm happy with that and letting market forces decide. However club's should be given the opportunity to try rather than being artificially capped at such a low level in a race to the bottom. A race to the bottom which most fans only even want to suit their particular club and it's circumstances.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Thank you.?

My points exactly‼️

Archived