The pub thread (and beer)

Have to say Skolars have always had good beer. Caveman and now New River brewery. I miss the old beer festivals we use to have (think there might have been north London CAMRA link). 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I'm doing the Coventry half marathon in april so will find a suitable post race watering hole!!

Hope you're well mate

Fine thanks! You'll certainly find one on there, and I can personally vouch for most ?.

And they're all considerably nearer than the Old Bakery...

eh?

Dark beers tonight. Nethergate Dark Shadow in the rather dismal surroundings of the Cricketers, the Spoons in Ipswich. They keep the beer well but it is otherwise a grim experience. Onto the St Judes Brewery Tavern for a pint of Cabin Pete's Porter, which is a brewery in the mighty metropolis of Bildeston. Very tasty 

• 1 year later...

Don't think I have ever had a beer from Hawaii before but tried not one but two last night after a quick run to the offie before the end of days started. Both were from the Kona Brewery. I liked Big Wave, a golden ale, but found Hanalei IPA less pleasant. Apparently it was flavoured with passion fruit, orange and guava but tasted of none of them in particular

with no pubs open i have taken to my home brew irish stout and very good it is only problem is it is very high in calories and not good for the old beer belly.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

On 22/12/2020 at 22:30, my missus said:

with no pubs open i have taken to my home brew irish stout and very good it is only problem is it is very high in calories and not good for the old beer belly.

We have been using The Tin and Glass the new offie at Windy Arbour. They have a great selection of beers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Unfortunately my local offie is nearer that my local pub.

When I first moved to Hastings I wanted to try as many pubs as I could. However even 12 years later I am discovering back street boozers, that I didnt know exist.

2 up West Hill, one in Ore, shame there is no longer a pub within a mile+ radius of Hollington. I hate sterile New Towns/Villages.

CF502812-ED21-4E58-AC68-A28A1015595F.jpeg.f287172f30ff305b0f4648b52ed2b342.jpegI’ve resorted to engineering a gadget that allows me to pull a great pint from any 5l keg with my beer engine.

This is going to cost me in several ways. 
Around a couple of quid a pint, depending on the beer - in this case Saltaire Blonde. Polished off a beautiful Chinook (4.2%) by Goose Eye yesterday. 

15 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Both of those beers are quality tackle. (In the pub at least!)

Need to find a cooling coat for the barrel and we are away. It pours very well and keeps long enough to have no waste. Of the 8.8 pints, I reckon I see 8.0 of the first barrel and 8.5 of the second. At £16 a shout for 8 pints of real ale direct to the glass, in my house, I’m chuffed to bits. 

38 minutes ago, my missus said:

where does one accuire this very useful appliance not that the wife would let me install one in the kitchen.😋

The beer engine, the connection or both?

You can pick up a second hand beer engine online, but I went for a brand new one to treat myself a few years ago. The one in the photo is an Aston, from Harry Masons. £150. https://harrymasons.com/collections/aston-beer-engine

I made up the fittings myself, but give me a shout if you want one. Only costs a few bob. 

On 28/12/2020 at 12:30, my missus said:

where does one accuire this very useful appliance not that the wife would let me install one in the kitchen.😋

Some breweries hire them out.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived