Should we have England vs Tonga series in 2020?

The title says it...

After today, it seems like a no-brainer to me. With a World Cup in 2021 to start promoting, it surely makes sense now to arrange a 3 match series vs Tonga for next Autumn.

And I don't mean a half-baked thing with games at LSV on a Wednesday, I mean games in Newcastle (St James Park), Leeds (Elland Road) and with the finale at Old Trafford or the Etihad. Get it organised and start promoting it ASAP...

With decent promotion, we really ought to be looking at getting close to selling out those games - and if we are to truly make a success of the WC2021 then we'd need to be looking at building that kind of momentum.

1 minute ago, roughyedspud said:

We are playing a test series v Australia 

And Tonga have a Oceania cup with NZ & Fiji

If they have any sense they will bump the Oceania Cup to 4 teams next year. Maybe let PNG play Samoa to qualify in mid-season.

Assuming the Aussies are still coming next year it would make sense to bring Tonga in 2022. Unlike 2013, we need to have some home internationals the year after the World Cup to build some momentum, and who better than Tonga if the can maintain their current success.

Its been said before but we really do need to get to a stage where not only are internationals known a couple of years in advance, but the venues a nailed down an the tickets are on sale at least 12 months in advance

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No it hasn’t and I’m stunned if anyone thinks it should 

I certainly don't. And to clarify, I started the thread without realising we were scheduled to play Australia.

I mean, what with International RL having such a high profile and being so well marketed, I should chastise myself for not already having those dates imprinted in my mind ?

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I certainly don't. And to clarify, I started the thread without realising we were scheduled to play Australia.

I mean, what with International RL having such a high profile and being so well marketed, I should chastise myself for not already having those dates imprinted in my mind ?

I’d wrote it down on a post it note somewhere ...

Archived