Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Who would you choose to be relegated from SL?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shouldn’t run a business relying on it. 

What are you on about ? , It was a conscious decision by the owner to get rid of a seriously underperforming squad of players , which he did , not nice , didn't like it , hope he doesn't do it again , end of 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shouldn’t run a business relying on it. 

So you think clubs shouldn’t budget to spend any SL funding? Might as well do away with any contracts over 1 year then. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

What are you on about ? , It was a conscious decision by the owner to get rid of a seriously underperforming squad of players , which he did , not nice , didn't like it , hope he doesn't do it again , end of 

The way in which he run the club after relegation, planning for Super League money, which wasn’t guaranteed, and then his subsequent behaviour when his side didn’t, forcing people into leaving was despicable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eddie said:

So you think clubs shouldn’t budget to spend any SL funding? Might as well do away with any contracts over 1 year then. 

No, you shouldn’t budget to receive Super League funding before a ball has been kicked, which Leigh seemingly did. Leigh pretty much did away with contracts over a one year period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The way in which he run the club after relegation, planning for Super League money, which wasn’t guaranteed, and then his subsequent behaviour when his side didn’t, forcing people into leaving was despicable. 

 

To be fair it wasn't even SL money. It was money based on finishing top 4 in the Championship which they failed to do and resulted in a truly sorry turn of events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So you think clubs shouldn’t budget to spend any SL funding? Might as well do away with any contracts over 1 year then. 

Hasn't this issue been highlighted by the players' union? I.e. clubs are offering multi-year contracts and then trying to tear them up if the team gets relegated, because the money is no longer there. This is yet another issue with P&R. Clubs have to offer multi-year contracts in order to compete for players, and then can't fulfil them if they get relegated. As has been mentioned before, there ain't enough money in the sport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair it wasn't even SL money. It was money based on finishing top 4 in the Championship which they failed to do and resulted in a truly sorry turn of events.

Correct , and I doubt you'll find anybody who was happy with what happened , including DB , but it seems Oliver wants something or somebody to be crucified over it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Hasn't this issue been highlighted by the players' union? I.e. clubs are offering multi-year contracts and then trying to tear them up if the team gets relegated, because the money is no longer there. This is yet another issue with P&R. Clubs have to offer multi-year contracts in order to compete for players, and then can't fulfil them if they get relegated. As has been mentioned before, there ain't enough money in the sport.

Yes it is an issue , so best to go back to a closed shop and a separate lower tiers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Glad you've finally seen sense... 😎

I hope you enjoy it , I'll be off to Wigan to watch the football instead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get back to the title of this topic my choice would be Wigan, they cheated their way out of it once, their away (or home) following is nothing to worry about losing and they might find out that the world of Rugby League doesn't revolve around them.

The added bonus would be the look on Lenaghans face along with the steam coming out of his ears.

Schadenfreude is the word for it😎

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

image.thumb.png.943a2ae54c724f649341608a0a4c084f.png

Just the way it is , I dropped off last time , I go to sports events to feel emotion , that emotion dulled last time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just the way it is , I dropped off last time , I go to sports events to feel emotion , that emotion dulled last time 

Yeah that's fair enough. I was just being a tool for a cheap laugh.

Edited by RugbyLeagueGeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yeah that's fair enough. I was just being a tool for a cheap laugh.

The question would be , how many others would join me ? , attendances dropped by 45% last time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The question would be , how many others would join me ? , attendances dropped by 45% last time 

No doubt a few, but I've not heard a compelling enough argument to convince me that P&R in its current format is in the sport's best interests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The question would be , how many others would join me ? , attendances dropped by 45% last time 

Didn't some of the bigger attendance figures happen in the period of no relegation,  the figures are only going to improve with the clubs being more successful at marketing event based games not on relegation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Didn't some of the bigger attendance figures happen in the period of no relegation,  the figures are only going to improve with the clubs being more successful at marketing event based games not on relegation. 

I was referring to Leigh's attendances , no idea what happened elsewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

No doubt a few, but I've not heard a compelling enough argument to convince me that P&R in its current format is in the sport's best interests.

How about it allows clubs outside of super league the chance to progress?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How about it allows clubs outside of super league the chance to progress?

So does licencing. With the added benefit of clubs being able to put together long-term business plans and long term player recruitment and development plans, without the fear of potential relegation after just one season hanging over them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

So does licencing. With the added benefit of clubs being able to put together long-term business plans and long term player recruitment and development plans, without the fear of potential relegation after just one season hanging over them.

Well as I put earlier , attendances dropped last time , by 45% over the 5 years at Leigh 

As I've suggested , if that was to happen I'd want the lower tiers to completely move away from SL and actually take over their own control from the RFL , reorganising the season and even some rules 

That is just about the only thing that might keep me interested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Wakefield, as their ground is an embarrassment. 

Replaced by who ? , I assume somebody with a decent stadium ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

What are you on about ? , It was a conscious decision by the owner to get rid of a seriously underperforming squad of players , which he did , not nice , didn't like it , hope he doesn't do it again , end of 

He signed them 

Then didn't pay their full contracts 

Pretty bad stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Replaced by who ? , I assume somebody with a decent stadium ?

Toulouse will be in a good stadium this year I believe and would be one of the favourites to achieve promotion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...