John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

Reports that Sonny Bill needs knee surgery and will miss most of the season.

Another report says it might be 2 weeks.

Apparently a fair few more to go before they can think of signing Gigot on a full time contract. Will this not make their squad smaller. They may well have to get down on bended knee and pray they do not get any injuries or suspensions.

38 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Simply because Stanley will be on a salary way in excess of Wheeler and they could only fit Wheeler's SCV in. It has been a monumental balls up from day 1. Lack of foresight, planning and anticipation on many peoples parts. Noble hinted at the approach in the Wolfpack documentary.

They are currently touting further players around clubs. More to come.

That doesnt make sense as more has come in than have left. 

Some of them that has come in are Academy players from other clubs. They were needed to be able to announce 21 players,which by the way they did not last week,just naming 19.According to Brian McDermott players will have to released before they can register Gigot and hopefully another two who they want to sign.So,if you think it does not make sense then Brian McDermott must be wrong.

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Maybe he originally had a visa issue and TWP. just stretched it out when it became obvious there was a problem with the salary cap. After all, TWP were naively hopeful of some salary cap dispensation that of course they never got.

You guys could sell sand to the Arabs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Sure was nice of Rugby Canada to develop Quinn for TWP ūüėĄ¬†

Good to see him back, he didn't look out of place playing for London Skolars a couple of years back. Are there many other people of NZ descent hanging round in Canada?

4 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Some of them that has come in are Academy players from other clubs. They were needed to be able to announce 21 players,which by the way they did not last week,just naming 19.According to Brian McDermott players will have to released before they can register Gigot and hopefully another two who they want to sign.So,if you think it does not make sense then Brian McDermott must be wrong.

That's not quite what was said, which was wheeler could be registered but stanley couldnt due to the difference in their wages. 

Yet when stanley wasnt registered, wheeler + gigot and the two loans were with their full cap value for the year counting at that point.

It's more likely that one or the other could be registered, Stanley couldnt initially get the proper Visa so wheeler was registered and stanley couldnt so some space was spent on gigot and the two loans, wheeler left and stanley was registered. 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Or freezers to Eskimos.

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

I believe the middle east is actually the biggest importer of sand. They use it in construction because theirs isn't as suitable. I'm not sure where I heard that fact from or if it's actually true but I'm probably never going to have an opportunity to use it.

Edited by fevtom

Can I suggest a listen to the latest Howlin' Hour podcast.  It probably won't change people's minds as they will already be made up, but worth a go.  I think that there probably is a bit of naivety in there but a good discussion on the valid reasons why there aren't Canadian players yet.  And once again the big thing that comes across is the enthusiasm for the game.

• Like 1