The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I know he’s not involved with Toronto anymore but I hope Eric Perez is looking at what’s gone on and what is going on at Toronto and is seeking to sort these things out at the earliest possibility for Ottawa. 

I was just thinking the same thing, Perez seems to be a decent administrator though. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Smudger06 said:

The Organisation should know what paperwork needs to be in place and what administration needs to be done to make it happen, all stamped up and ready to go within required timeframes. In order for it to be able to operate effectively and efficiently in both Canada and the UK. 

And of course they should have anticipated the coronavirus as well.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I wouldn’t blame him either but then again there’s been more than a hint of dodgy practice about Toronto in their short history and it looks like it’s come back to bite them on the ######.

Which is why I mentioned that Argyle has also been let down by some of his hires, particularly CEO Martin Vickers, doesn’t he have a blemished past?

Just now, Oldbear said:

Which is why I mentioned that Argyle has also been let down by some of his hires, particularly CEO Martin Vickers, doesn’t he have a blemished past?

Absolutely. There were investigations into how very large sums of Salford Council money found their way into his pocket.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Absolutely. There were investigations into how very large sums of Salford Council money found their way into his pocket.

Thought so, plus didn’t he and Noble operate together at Salford, not particularly effectively if I remember, and wasn’t that also a time when Salford has issues paying suppliers. Not a very able CEO in my view, how the hell does he keep getting hired and is it likely that the Wolfpack will continue to have administrative “issues” while he stays?

Its great to see we have so many visa and immigration experts on the forum. From what Toronto have consistently said they have been raising this issue for 3 years with the Home Office. As this is the case I am guessing it is no where near as easy as some are trying to make out and that to date they would have what the Home Office have told them. If it was a simple case of doing what some are saying on here then they would have done it. Again if it wasn't for a once in a lifetime event it wouldn't be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Not a very able CEO in my view, how the hell does he keep getting hired and is it likely that the Wolfpack will continue to have administrative “issues” while he stays?

Probably. I find it disappointing that beneath the Wolfpack’s glitz and glamour - a genuine asset to Super League - there’s a grubby underbelly that threatens to undermine all their hard work.

People keep saying TWP have had issues for the past few years (and indeed Argyle himself said it has been an issue), but what issues have they had? 

I'm only aware of the one issue last year. They claimed they had one this year but didn't that turn out to be BS and they had not been able to fit the player under the cap? 

So what issues have they been having? 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People keep saying TWP have had issues for the past few years (and indeed Argyle himself said it has been an issue), but what issues have they had? 

I'm only aware of the one issue last year. They claimed they had one this year but didn't that turn out to be BS and they had not been able to fit the player under the cap? 

So what issues have they been having? 

Playing in a competition several thousands of miles away on a different continent 😂

Unlike what others have said, this is a very complicated matter what with different governments and different policies, foreign and domestic companies and players from literally all around the world and their various visa requirements. Then throw in a pandemic and this is what happens

I suspect it's all become public now only because the British government has refused to grant TWP an excemption.

10 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Unlike what others have said, this is a very complicated matter what with different governments and different policies, foreign and domestic companies and players from literally all around the world and their various visa requirements. Then throw in a pandemic and this is what happens

I suspect it's all become public now only because the British government has refused to grant TWP an excemption.

Step 1, figure out which of your players have right of abode in the UK and which do not. 

Step 2, assist your players without the right of abode in the UK to obtain a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa & pay the £610 Fee for them. The RFL as Governing Body will endorse the applications as a Sponsor registered with the Government and assign certificates of sponsorship. 

Toronto Wolfpack UK RLFC Ltd are registered at Companies House, they should be able to solve these very complicated issues just like every other SL & Championship Club. 

They have been caught out cuffing it on visitors visas, probably because it's a lot cheaper and easier to do, but these are suitable only for single sports events or a series of linked sports events 'a tour' not for players that a based here permenantly. Little wonder they are getting little leeway from gov as of yet. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Its great to see we have so many visa and immigration experts on the forum. From what Toronto have consistently said they have been raising this issue for 3 years with the Home Office. As this is the case I am guessing it is no where near as easy as some are trying to make out and that to date they would have what the Home Office have told them. If it was a simple case of doing what some are saying on here then they would have done it. Again if it wasn't for a once in a lifetime event it wouldn't be an issue.

You really don't need to be an expert on immigration to apply for a Visa.

Especially if your Club will pay the £610 and fill the form out for you. 

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Step 1, figure out which of your players have right of abode in the UK and which do not. 

Step 2, assist your players without the right of abode in the UK to obtain a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa & pay the £610 Fee for them. The RFL as Governing Body will endorse the applications as a Sponsor registered with the Government and assign certificates of sponsorship. 

Toronto Wolfpack UK RLFC Ltd are registered at Companies House, they should be able to solve these very complicated issues just like every other SL & Championship Club. 

They have been caught out cuffing it on visitors visas, probably because it's a lot cheaper and easier to do, but these are suitable only for single sports events or a series of linked sports events 'a tour' not for players that a based here permenantly. Little wonder they are getting little leeway from gov as of yet. 

Its amazing that they have spent 3 years raising this issue with the Home Office and the Home Office haven't told them it is this easy. Or indeed the RFL haven't just told them to do this. Or even Super League at the start of the season. That suggests to me there is a little more to it than you are trying to make out.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its amazing that they have spent 3 years raising this issue with the Home Office and the Home Office haven't told them it is this easy. Or indeed the RFL haven't just told them to do this. Or even Super League at the start of the season. That suggests to me there is a little more to it than you are trying to make out.

Amazing how most other sports clubs, including RL Clubs, in this country manage to do it.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

This is a joke, no orher words to describe it.  This club has bent over backwards and continues to get shafted by the sport and governing body.  

Based on the information from the articles appearing today the governing body have been and continue to be in contact with the Home Office in an attempt to resolve the issue for the club. As others have said this situation is the result of unfortunate circumstance in that the pandemic and associated restrictions have resulted in the players having run down the clock on the time permitted to be in the UK. One article mentions that the deadlines have twice been extended already so the governing body have clearly been helping not hindering the club (the club itself cannot liaise with the Home Office on this). Hopefully it can be sorted out.

15 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

This is a joke, no orher words to describe it.  This club has bent over backwards and continues to get shafted by the sport and governing body.  

this has nowt to do with the sport and governing body.  its all down to the home office and for your information

The RFL  "We have been working closely with the relevant authorities to help Toronto Wolfpack with the issues caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, specifically their inability to play home fixtures in Canada, and the resulting need for their overseas players to stay in England for several more months.

"We are grateful to the government for recognising these issues in recent days -

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are those clubs Canadian?

This minor detail seems to have completely escaped Smudger's notice. Unfortunately for the Wolfpack, British Immigration seems to think it's a big deal.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are those clubs Canadian?

Do the players live in Canada? If they did this would not be an issue. 

Is Hopwood Hall College in Canada? 

Is Toronto Wolfpack UK RLFC Ltd, Company number 10564680 Canadian? 

Some poor excuses coming out. 

2459160 Ontario Ltd operate similar to Fenway Sports Group, are Liverpool FC American or British? 

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Do the players live in Canada? If they did this would not be an issue. 

Is Hopwood Hall College in Canada? 

Is Toronto Wolfpack UK RLFC Ltd, Company number 10564680 Canadian? 

Some poor excuses coming out. 

2459160 Ontario Ltd operate similar to Fenway Sports Group, are Liverpool FC American or British? 

I don't know what the issues are but it is quite obvious neither do you. It is also quite obvious that it is all rather more complicated than you are trying to make out.

The players are not employed by Toronto Wolfpack UK RLFC Ltd so I don't understand the relevance.

Some rather pathetic attempts at scraping the barrel to have a dig happening.

Archived