The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Just pay off who is costing and bring another three in.

Are they short of money?

Sack the mismanagement team as reinforcements are in waiting.

Perez must be ####### his sides.

Paying off people still counts on cap spend.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/02/2020 at 11:39, usain bolt said:

Is it being used for the rochdale players to step up or toronto to step down, the gulf between championship 1 and super league is massive, especially for players that have just come from ncl ranks. If Toronto are relying on this then there'll be a rude awakening for both parties. 

Which all our friends in Toronto will readily appreciate come the end of the season,  if not before.

On 10/02/2020 at 09:58, Dave T said:

Indeed.

TWP already had their two marquee slots, I believe by Lussick and Leutele, let's assume that they were on £3-400k, according to the reports around at the time.

So, before they signed SBW, they had 22 players, and a maximum spend of £1.7-£1.8m (versus a cap of £2.1m) - so they had £3-400k to recruit three players to fill their squad. We know those sums work out because when they signed SBW, one of their other marquee's had their salary included, so they must have had this amount available on the cap. 

So instead of filling their squad with three decent players on £100k+ each, they went down the route of signing another marquee player, meaning they are now spending a silly amount of cap space on either Lussick or Leutele. It is easy to see why the other clubs lack sympathy here. This wasn't an unfortunate balancing of books gone wrong, they actively made this decision to go down this route and spend up with 23 players. And then ask for more. Now I am supportive of a higher cap based on the things I have previously highlighted (weighting and youth dispensation) but let's not make out that TWP have 23 players because they had to pay over the odds for Matty Russell. They had 23 players because they chose to sign a 3rd marquee when they already had 2. That is poor squad management. 

The signing of SBW should be applauded, hopefully it encourages other clubs to be more bold with signings in future, but it has come at the expense of being able to sign a full squad. That is a hell of a brave move.

Has it been confirmed that the permission of Messrs.Hudgell & Co. were obtained about this signing as the religious beliefs of SBW may have affected sponsorship - of the main non-broadcast sponsor?

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

so who perez? argyle ?  

what mistakes have they made

I think the doubts may be about Vickers and Noble.Past experience.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is that true, do TWP have the biggest wage bill ever? 

And if so in true Oliver Twist fashion they say, "Can I have some more please Sir"

If they are at full cap, with SBW on a reported £2.5m and another marquee on, say £400k, then that would mean their spend could be up to £4.7m. 

I think it is a fair argument to say that if you have spent £4.7m on a squad and ended up with a 23 man squad then you haven't done your sums quite right.

On 09/02/2020 at 11:30, bobbruce said:

That doesn’t work as has been pointed out money isn’t the issue salary cap space is. So effectively TWP could’ve signed two run of the mill players on £75k each or SBW with all the publicity that has brought them. 

Under the Rules in force, Lowdessert is correct, completely bad management on TWP's part, come the end of the season if TWP are relegated all the media interest in SBW will have done them no good whatsoever, would you thrown you all your eggs into the SBW basket?

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If they are at full cap, with SBW on a reported £2.5m and another marquee on, say £400k, then that would mean their spend could be up to £4.7m. 

I think it is a fair argument to say that if you have spent £4.7m on a squad and ended up with a 23 man squad then you haven't done your sums quite right.

Haters gonna hate ?

43 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Has it been confirmed that the permission of Messrs.Hudgell & Co. were obtained about this signing as the religious beliefs of SBW may have affected sponsorship - of the main non-broadcast sponsor?

I think the doubts may be about Vickers and Noble.Past experience.

?

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But, still within the cap remit at £300K contribution for SBW and A.N, Other?

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I see Saints have got the South Stand for their game at the Halliwell Jones vs Toronto. That’ll look great live on Sky...!

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/02/11/toronto-wolfpack-vs-saints-ticket-news/

Do you think it likely that Saints fans will treat this like a home game and try and pack the terrace with 'away' fans?

Wonder what we will get for this, could be anything from 3k to 10k tbh!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I did my sums on £175k each marquee actually, but the point stands. 

Would that be £2.5 million for the season, just one season! if so and he played every minute of each of the 29 fixtures that would be over a £1000 per minute, not bad for a guy with a lot to proove, i.e. what he now is, not what he was.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will Wire fans attend do you think?

I wouldn't personally tbh, but I wonder if they will do an offer for Wire season ticket holders to go and support the Wolfpack or something?

Wire are away, so who knows, but not sure it is a massive draw to Wire fans, apart from being in their town.

Archived