Super League Launch

Dave T

Just got round to watching the "We play League" promo video, and I like it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Damien said:

Not sure about the promo. The "we play League" slogan is vague, meaningless and dare I say it Australian. To the average person League means nothing.

Seems like a reasonable slogan for promoting a competition called SuperLEAGUE to me. I think it's really good. Shows action, promotes players as characters to know and storylines to follow. Finishing with SBW saying 'we play league' is great! 

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Seems like a reasonable slogan for promoting a competition called SuperLEAGUE to me. I think it's really good. Shows action, promotes players as characters to know and storylines to follow. Finishing with SBW saying 'we play league' is great! 

No one in England calls it League. I don't even know anyone that refers to Super League. Your argument about  Super League is as valid as the Premier League promoting that competition as League. It just wouldn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

No one in England calls it League. I don't even know anyone that refers to Super League. Your argument about  Super League is as valid as the Premier League promoting that competition as League. It just wouldn't happen. 

Given league is actually part of the sport's title, is the word used to differentiate it from the other type of rugby, and it's in the title of the competition itself, I beg to differ. Besides, superleague's marketing needs are so different from the premier league it's not a really useful comparison. Anyway, that's my take. I like the ad, and think it might help attract interest from non fans, casual fans, and fanatics alike. 

6 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Given league is actually part of the sport's title, is the word used to differentiate it from the other type of rugby, and it's in the title of the competition itself, I beg to differ. Besides, superleague's marketing needs are so different from the premier league it's not a really useful comparison. Anyway, that's my take. I like the ad, and think it might help attract interest from non fans, casual fans, and fanatics alike. 

That is not what you said, you made no mention of Rugby League in your post. You talked about the competition and promoting Super League.

Again the term League is meaningless in whatever context as an usp and doesnt describe the sport in any way. All sports have leagues, it doesn't differentiate between anything. It is a lame copy of a term from Australia that has no meaning to anyone in the UK, bar people aware of it from following Australian RL. It also further gives up using the term Rugby which is what most RL fans in England would actually call the sport.

If it said 'We play rugby league' it would be fine. Because they do.

Otherwise I liked this video. Folk have moaned for years that these videos lack real action so they have addressed that. The idea that you can produce a one-minute video that simultaneously pleases the hardcore, gets the uninitiated to buy season tickets and introduces all of the players is dreamland.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

In truth a big mistake was made by not ( if it was possible ? ) Somehow trade marking ' Super League ' as a RL only phrase , we now have netball and football ' super leagues ' , so perhaps we do need to somehow get the word ' League ' into the sports fans mind as being RL , I suppose the fact they do have SBW available who many perhaps only know him as a union player , then making the point he is here and playing rugby LEAGUE is what they are trying to achieve with this 

49 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

If it said 'We play rugby league' it would be fine. Because they do.

Otherwise I liked this video. Folk have moaned for years that these videos lack real action so they have addressed that. The idea that you can produce a one-minute video that simultaneously pleases the hardcore, gets the uninitiated to buy season tickets and introduces all of the players is dreamland.

Aye, the video is fine, this goes back to my point that we are over-analysing it because we are RL fans on an RL forum, but in the main it will show on Sky Sports and do a decent job.

And your point about its objective is right. These things can only do so much. 

Archived