On 31/03/2020 at 05:49, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Does anyone recall the coverage of ITV? Did they do a weekly league game? How many seasons did they cover RL?

5 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Does anyone recall the coverage of ITV? Did they do a weekly league game? How many seasons did they cover RL?

In the early 1990s Granada TV showed a game very week on Saturday afternoons. This was how they ended their last programme of the 1990-91 season ....

For those of you who never had "the pleasure" of watching a match at Watersheddings and might be a bit spectical when hearing stories of the weather conditions at what was reputedly the highest ground of any professional sports club in the country, then watch this from the 1950s ....

Edited by RL does what Sky says

On 30/03/2020 at 11:34, Hopping Mad said:

Might be worth adding this to your selection, Anthony. It's a six-minute excerpt (dressing room scenes/match action at Derwent Park) from a 30-minute, Eric Robson-narrated Border TV documentary about Workington Town. The full version was on YouTube. I've posted a link previously, some time ago, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. The full version features interviews with Arnie Walker, Alan Banks, Ike Southward, Andy Key etc.

Town number three on there looks familiar 😉  here is the link you were looking for 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yanto said:

Town number three on there looks familiar 😉  here is the link you were looking for 

Do you have any memories to share, of them filming in the dressing room etc. Paul Charlton (check out the perm!) obviously didn't moderate his language for the camera!!

6 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Do you have any memories to share, of them filming in the dressing room etc. Paul Charlton (check out the perm!) obviously didn't moderate his language for the camera!!

Was that Harry Beverley propping for Town?

5 hours ago, Willforminis said:

Was that Harry Beverley propping for Town?

Yep Big H had come over from Dewsbury. I remember the night we signed it. Crown Flatts and Korky had to kick a goal from the touch line on the halfway for a draw. Right down the middle, winning pay as 16th man, first time with the first team, then we get told on the bus going home Harry had signed there and then. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Ye never so many directors in the changing room 😂Boxer being sick was a pre game ritual but to be honest I can't even remember it all being filmed till it popped up on YouTube forty years later. Town never got much TV coverage and videos were still in the future so any films are great to see. Believe it or not I'm seeing more photos for the first time posted on Facebook during this lockdown than I have ever seen. Just posted three of the four Lancashire cup vudeos this afternoon. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, yanto said:

Ye never so many directors in the changing room 😂Boxer being sick was a pre game ritual but to be honest I can't even remember it all being filmed till it popped up on YouTube forty years later. Town never got much TV coverage and videos were still in the future so any films are great to see. Believe it or not I'm seeing more photos for the first time posted on Facebook during this lockdown than I have ever seen. Just posted three of the four Lancashire cup vudeos this afternoon. 

Back in the Eighties, they used to say Whitehaven had more directors than players. 🙂

Must admit, I can't identify you, but I do see plenty of Town stalwarts - David Beck, Ian Hartley, Bill Pattinson. Think Town awarded testimonial years to Beck and Pattinson.

Edited by Hopping Mad

On 02/04/2020 at 19:52, Hopping Mad said:

Back in the Eighties, they used to say Whitehaven had more directors than players. 🙂

Must admit, I can't identify you, but I do see plenty of Town stalwarts - David Beck, Ian Hartley, Bill Pattinson. Think Town awarded testimonial years to Beck and Pattinson.

Just looked back Ian Rudd was the other center that day ..we would both only be 19,20 at the most.Ray Wilkins 6, Alan Banks 9.John Dobie, 13,Korky 2,Billy Patt 12,Ian Hartley 11,Big Harry 8,Boxer 7, David Beck 5. Charlo 1,Alan Rowley on his debut at 10.

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2020 at 16:39, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Got a bit emotional watching the first one. Real crossroads for the game. I wonder how it would have turned out if we had gone ahead with all the mergers. Miss those types of games from when I was a kid.

You might get emotional watching this one Tex ... "you" are playing ! 😉

Salford v Widnes - 1990 Lancashire Cup Final

People may find this interview of Ryan Bodman about league history and it's place in society in NZ interesting:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/nights/audio/2018741115/using-social-media-for-academic-research

Ryan is writing a book on NZ rugby league history.

https://www.facebook.com/rugbyleaguenzhistory/posts/1067890976926526?__tn__=K-R

Edited by rlno1

Includes footage of Ian Schubert in his "Farrah Fawcett Hair" days.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Includes footage of Ian Schubert in his "Farrah Fawcett Hair" days.

Great player Ian Schubert. Hard to believe he was a winger but he was one hell of a Loose Forward and Natural leader when he played for Leigh in 87 

On 01/04/2020 at 14:44, RL does what Sky says said:

For those of you who never had "the pleasure" of watching a match at Watersheddings and might be a bit spectical when hearing stories of the weather conditions at what was reputedly the highest ground of any professional sports club in the country, then watch this from the 1950s ....

Really miss them true RL grounds. Hilton Park, Watersheddings, Station Rd, Willows, all grounds with great character. Played their once. Think it was -7 in May !!!

11 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Really miss them true RL grounds. Hilton Park, Watersheddings, Station Rd, Willows, all grounds with great character. Played their once. Think it was -7 in May !!!

That must have been 1976 .... that really hot summer  😉

-7 at 'Sheddings would have seen the Oldham fans with their trousers rolled up to their knees, a short-sleeved shirt and a knotted hanky on their heads.

I agree about "grounds with great character". These days you can switch on the tv and have to try and guess which ground it is as many all look the same.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That must have been 1976 .... that really hot summer  😉

-7 at 'Sheddings would have seen the Oldham fans with their trousers rolled up to their knees, a short-sleeved shirt and a knotted hanky on their heads.

I agree about "grounds with great character". These days you can switch on the tv and have to try and guess which ground it is as many all look the same.

That's why I love it when the NRL clubs play at their old grounds instead of the Sydney White Elephant Enormoplex.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

On 03/04/2020 at 18:26, RL does what Sky says said:

You might get emotional watching this one Tex ... "you" are playing ! 😉

Salford v Widnes - 1990 Lancashire Cup Final

haha I don't support Widnes or Salford so wont get too much pleasure out of it!

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

16 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But that Salford number 2 sounds familiar !

he does, I remember his thighs!

• Haha 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details