Carl Gibson

distantdog

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I have a copy. PM me if you are interested.

Thank you for the offer, very much appreciated, though I managed to source a copy from elsewhere.

Thanks, and hope you are keeping well and safe.

Regards

Stuart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gibbo had that unique and elusive running style, that excited the crowd. I stand to be corrected, and I  remember watching what I think was his debut at Lawkholme Lane against Keighley, when our supporters were excited by his performance, his dazzling runs, , and at the sheer  talent we had unearthed. Definitely worthy of a naming at the Stadium.

9 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

Gibbo had that unique and elusive running style, that excited the crowd. I stand to be corrected, and I  remember watching what I think was his debut at Lawkholme Lane against Keighley, when our supporters were excited by his performance, his dazzling runs, , and at the sheer  talent we had unearthed. Definitely worthy of a naming at the Stadium.

I think your memory is correct.I was at the same game.

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I think your memory is correct.I was at the same game.

It was a game that confirmed the pre match talk of a young talent  who  was something special, and a local lad. From that game Carl gave us great entertainment and pride as supporters, eagerly anticipating each and every game he was involved in .

20 hours ago, silverback said:

Did we ever get the toohey's bar. another great servant to batley for a lot a years,

You'd have to something named after lythes  too him & toohey could of gone on to better and bigger things when the going got tough under Gary for a few years but stayed loyal I know toohey got injured a lot but he was wanted by a few super league clubs and lythes 100% every week.. 

46 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

You'd have to something named after lythes  too him & toohey could of gone on to better and bigger things when the going got tough under Gary for a few years but stayed loyal I know toohey got injured a lot but he was wanted by a few super league clubs and lythes 100% every week.. 

yep, i seen one great offer from a top club,he never gave it a second thought as hes simply batley thru n thru.i think on the injury front it was years of taking some big knocks from u9s and him just getting on with job just caught up to him a lot a years, i can remember that australian player saints got and he were on telly a few weeks on trot dishing out big shots.think he were called smith with a big bushy hair do, anyways when we drew at our place and we went to saints i will never forget that tackle toohey put in on first set.he creamed him and even the saints crowd around us thought it were massive.

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

You can't name something after every loyal servant that has ever played for us, however much deserved. But Carl Gibson was different, a Batley player, born in the town who became an international while still at the club. That alone makes him unique in the last 50+ years. 

32 minutes ago, distantdog said:

You can't name something after every loyal servant that has ever played for us, however much deserved. But Carl Gibson was different, a Batley player, born in the town who became an international while still at the club. That alone makes him unique in the last 50+ years. 

Won't be 9ole anyway as it named after Ron 

I know you can't name everything after everyone but we don't have anything named after other GB players at the club... the club should have a museum of some kind and they would have a small area for Carl and the other GB players & hall of fame induces 

2 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Won't be 9ole anyway as it named after Ron 

I know you can't name everything after everyone but we don't have anything named after other GB players at the club... the club should have a museum of some kind and they would have a small area for Carl and the other GB players & hall of fame induces 

My point is that he is a unique representative of our club over the last 50 years or so, possibly longer. I think that this perhaps deserves something more than a small area. We are a community club, yet have no obvious recognition of a player who reached the heights of our sport after starting his professional career at our club and is a product of the very community we represent!

Are you the next club historian hooley you know your onions. 

Lindsay lythsey j. Gallagher and toohey all local and dedicated Bulldogs. Wish they attended more games as fans

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

18 hours ago, distantdog said:

My point is that he is a unique representative of our club over the last 50 years or so, possibly longer. I think that this perhaps deserves something more than a small area. We are a community club, yet have no obvious recognition of a player who reached the heights of our sport after starting his professional career at our club and is a product of the very community we represent!

Totally agree with you DD, and I am sure Carl would be honoured by having part of the Stadium named after him. He was a total product of Batley the town and Batley the Club, to which he brought International honour in a very competitive environment.

3 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

Totally agree with you DD, and I am sure Carl would be honoured by having part of the Stadium named after him. He was a total product of Batley the town and Batley the Club, to which he brought International honour in a very competitive environment.

I want to make it clear I am not having a go at the club here. I just think that our last international player is conspicuous by his absence as part of our club. That might be how Carl wants it, I just don't know. I just think it is a shame that a successful local lad seems not to be recognised. I might also add that I made the original post to publicise the question and answer session with no ulterior motive.

Just dug the programme out from the match and Carl is not actually mentioned in it. Carl came in to replace Des Foy (Oldham) on the bench. Carl was brought on in the 50th min to replace Henderson Gill

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

I bet there are a few players that you could have named the turnstiles after.

?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Richard price. As he did some of our metal works at mp

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I bet there are a few players that you could have named the turnstiles after.

?

squires gate.:kolobok_popcorm1: have watched/played/sponsered/been a fan for 55 years.and he first person i ever seen jump outa  way of player coming at him,and tommy scored in corner.:kolobok_punish:

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 12:21, Bulldog Days said:

I remember his debut too. Collected the ball in his own 25 and raced away to score.

On 27/05/2020 at 16:40, Graham Greaves said:

I remember his debut too. Collected the ball in his own 25 and raced away to score.

Following Kevin’s Facebook video prior to the Barrow game, it is a possibly that our flying international Centre might be about to be one of the new ‘names’ at the Mount!

game

Archived