Hostilities

2 hours ago, meast said:

I remember York "fans" causing trouble at Huddersfield in the cup quarter final in 2004, this was in the days when fans all mingled together in one stand, York brought a fair few numpties who had a few slurps and it got really nasty in the stand that day.

I'm not saying York fans are a bad bunch, or even that they were regular supporters, but that day they had some real nasty buggers following them.

Oh I can believe it, nowadays I find the only trouble from York fans are a handful who complain about everything! Which is something else I’ll never understand, I go to watch the match and hopefully see a good game. Spending hours on social media before and after the game moaning about ticket prices, flags etc confuddles me. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, M j M said:

Apart from the 2000 Challenge Cup semi incident, Hull-Leeds games have been the scene of probably most of the unsavoury scenes I've witnessed, be it actual fighting (behind the posts at the Boulevard) to bricking of coaches and then the ongoing, moderately amusing thanks to the wall of stewards/distance, encounters with chav corner at the KC.

In the early '90s Hull and Featherstone were the two places we wouldn't show team colours at. The Fev-Leeds game at Post Office Road in November '94 was as close to boiling over as I can remember -  the verbals were flying on the terraces although I'm not sure if it kicked off or not (it certainly did on the field).

Away from that though, Grand Finals always have an atmosphere of menace although I've not really ever seen anything up close.

There was something quite bad kicking off involving the police and Saints fans at a Bradford vs Saints game at Valley Parade in around 2001ish, when that rivalry was at its peak.

The Wakefield-Huddersfield rivalry is amusing in a way; I used to work with a Huddersfield fans so used to go to a few of their games and the mutual loathing was obvious. I think it dated back to when they were both aiming to get into Super League?

Wakefield Huddersfield rivalry? I’ve not missed many matches since mid 80s never seen any real bother, a few relegation battles that’s it, but never a proper derby feel to it, don’t know what Huddersfields derby match is.

When we play derbies with  cas or fev  always has the potential as groups of lads know there’s the potential for trouble so tend to be in attendance.  

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You well Mick ?

Very apart from missing Rugby of course thank goodness i have plenty of Home Brew cant see the Championship resuming this year 

Should have been i Toulouse this w/e ah well Costa Donny will have to do ?

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Apart from the 2000 Challenge Cup semi incident, Hull-Leeds games have been the scene of probably most of the unsavoury scenes I've witnessed, be it actual fighting (behind the posts at the Boulevard) to bricking of coaches and then the ongoing, moderately amusing thanks to the wall of stewards/distance, encounters with chav corner at the KC.

In the early '90s Hull and Featherstone were the two places we wouldn't show team colours at. The Fev-Leeds game at Post Office Road in November '94 was as close to boiling over as I can remember -  the verbals were flying on the terraces although I'm not sure if it kicked off or not (it certainly did on the field).

Away from that though, Grand Finals always have an atmosphere of menace although I've not really ever seen anything up close.

There was something quite bad kicking off involving the police and Saints fans at a Bradford vs Saints game at Valley Parade in around 2001ish, when that rivalry was at its peak.

The Wakefield-Huddersfield rivalry is amusing in a way; I used to work with a Huddersfield fans so used to go to a few of their games and the mutual loathing was obvious. I think it dated back to when they were both aiming to get into Super League?

As well as being a local rivalry, I never really noticed anything until the early 2000's, that's when, despite is being pants we always managed to give Wakey a sound thrashing, we usually collected all our points for the season against Wakefield ? Maybe they've never got over that, as well as events in 1999

A lot of them had (a lot still have) a real bee in their bonnets about the ridiculous merger thing and to this day still refer to us as "shuddersfield" "shudds" and yet get very upset when one of ours refer to them as wildcats or pussies, it seemed to upset Wakefield fans more than any other fans and 20 years later, some of them still can't let it go.

They also have a bitterness about Ken Davy and our stadium which they hilariously refer to us as tenants.

And they claim they don't care about us, there used to be some real bitterness, from both sides on RLfans over the years.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:31, HawkMan said:

Honest question: does any real vicious hostilities exist in RL between sets of supporters? I mean real scary stuff, like in football ie. Galatasary vs Besiktas or River Plate and Boca Juniors. 

Has anyone here been at a RL game and thought , Jeez this is getting scary, or doesn't it happen in the game at all. Thinking possibly in Sydney. 

Sydney is an absolute war zone on game day today like it was since The Great Maul in 1964 (and before), google it, it was a tragedy that many old fellas that were there, still hold as a badge honour.

On 24/06/2020 at 16:00, Copa said:

In Sydney most fans mingle in the stadium. There’s some heckling but nothing too serious. People generally just want to have fun.

@Copa are obviously as oblivious as the media is to the organised thuggery on back streets that takes part whenever two Sydney clubs play each other.

Each club‘s “Ultras” supporters bring their own history. For example, little known fact about why the Roosters crowd sizes appear so much smaller than what the official reported crowd size is, is because they do sell a lot of tickets, but because their supporters are more akin to sipping soy macchiatos than spending time in the gym like those vicious, steroid junkie and racist Sharks fans, approx an average of 43% of Roosters fans end up at either the Royal Prince of Wales or St Vincent’s rather than completing their journey to the fixture.

It really is an interesting story that is ignored by the media. I’ve been thinking about putting pen to paper and writing a book about it.

3 hours ago, Celt said:

I guess you don't follow the game too closely. More of a casual hobby?

Just FYI anyway - there were a few thousand people rioting at Catalans v Warrington last year. Even some players decided to get involved, including the club captain. It was covered by the national media - in fact it got more coverage than the grand final.

But yeah... The odd drunk throwing punches at Magic Weekend is also worth a mention. 

I guess you don't read English do you? More Martian? 

I said that is what I have SEEN, what I have WITNESSED for myself. Sorry for not being a Warrington or cats fans and not being at that game. 

Why pick on my post when the OP asked has anyone been at a game and thought it was getting a bit heated then other people answer in much the same way I did but no, my post where I did give an example of a dodgy situation is a problem to you. 

I'm a little upset by the way I've just been randomly singled out and picked on there. What an odd thing to do. 

On 25/06/2020 at 07:19, AB Knight said:

Anyway back on topic I’ve seen glass bottles been thrown by both sets of fans at one match (Wakefield vs Cas at Belle Vue). That’s also the only ground where I’ve heard/witnessed racism, when a bunch of knuckleheads were making monkey chants at Cas winger Wayne Pryce.

Went to Wakie v Leeds a few seasons ago and stood in the away end next to a small group who were in their 50s (and old enough to know better) and every time James Child ran past on the touch line they’d hurl a load of homophobic abuse at him.

As well as that St George’s Day was coming up and they had a ‘debate’ about why it wasn’t a bank holiday, which you don’t need me to tell you why they thought that was

Archived