Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I have heard both no scrums and 6 again rule will be used. I spoke to a couple of players and they both said how much the big middles are expected to struggle. I always wonder if Leigh

With the squad we have if we cant get 1500 members for next season we don't deserve to be anywhere near Super League.

Leigh are signing half the Torontos team, they never won a game in Super League, think Fevs squad is the better one.

Longo says its the strongest squad fielded for 10 years. Looking at it, I can believe it. Great that we were able to retain Harrison, I would say we should have kept Wellington Albert though. I think we have a better squad than Toulouse + Leigh have gone. If we all get behind them, especially the new lads from down under, make em welcomed and feel like a piece of the greatness we are trying to achieve. I think we could achieve the unbelievable next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Longo says its the strongest squad fielded for 10 years. Looking at it, I can believe it. Great that we were able to retain Harrison, I would say we should have kept Wellington Albert though. I think we have a better squad than Toulouse + Leigh have gone. If we all get behind them, especially the new lads from down under, make em welcomed and feel like a piece of the greatness we are trying to achieve. I think we could achieve the unbelievable next year. 

I might disagreed on Albert ....but agree on all other points.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Bates said:

Do we need another winger or is Gale pencilled in for the 5 shirt?

I wonder if we might have Luke Briscoe on loan in mind again? Not that Gale doesn't deserve to continue, but other than the inexperienced young lad we signed from Cas (Jacob Doyle) we only have 2 wingers.

Although DR is gone, loans aren't. If Handley and Tom Briscoe are Leeds' starting wings Luke might only be required in case of injury. After an initial 28 day-loan they could recall him if an injury occurred.

Although we have a much bigger squad this time round, it still wouldn't surprise me if we (and other clubs) use loans again here and there. In 2019 we signed the likes of Calum Turner, Daniel Smith, Tom Holmes, Ben Reynolds, Wellington Albert, Ashton Golding, Dale Ferguson, Will Dagger and even Dane Chisholm (initially) on loan. Players become available and different needs arise as the season goes on. Maybe Covid will impact loans but we'll have to wait and see.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the way things have worked out with Leigh in SL and P&R appearing to be on the agenda for 2021, then we must be in with a good shout.

York were already having problems in 2020, London were not replacing talent that was leaving. Widnes and Bradford dark horses with big names, but not front-runners. That leaves us and Toulouse. We can do this.

If I was really going for it, I'd look to Luke Briscoe on a long term loan for the three-quarters, but the spine of Hall-Chisholm_Brown-Parata & Jones has little back up. Given Brown's injury record, perhaps a cheeky offer to Leigh if they are willing to offload Matty Wildie would be a good call?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

 the spine of Hall-Chisholm_Brown-Parata & Jones has little back up. Given Brown's injury record, perhaps a cheeky offer to Leigh if they are willing to offload Matty Wildie would be a good call?

Tom Holmes has just been announced as leaving Huddersfield. Wonder where he's off? Giants press release says "he is a player that has a number of options open to him which he is keen to explore and ultimately he will take one of them."

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Tom Holmes has just been announced as leaving Huddersfield. Wonder where he's off? Giants press release says "he is a player that has a number of options open to him which he is keen to explore and ultimately he will take one of them."

Confirms taking up a position with a championship club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to work out which of the "bigger" Championship clubs have needs at half back. We have Chisholm & Brown (plus Sweeting & Spence though they strike me more as candidates for 1895 Cup/Challenge Cup duty). Not to say Holmes wouldn't be very welcome, he always played well for us, just hard to see whose place he would take, I just thought our back-up plan if Brown failed to shime or if he/Chissy got injured might be McLelland on loan if available.

Fax have Liam Harris & Connor Robinson. York have Morgan Smith and Brendan O'Hagan. Bradford Danny Brough and Jordan Lilley. That's not to say none of those clubs could do with another half back but they might feel set at half back in terms of budgets.

Batley have Gilmore and White, Dewsbury have  Finn and Sykes still (I think), not sure about Newcastle, they seem to have a bit of cash.

London would be the obvious ones to me, not replaced Morgan Smith yet and really only have Cory Aston and James Meadows (who played full back against us) with any experience at half back. Plus they're still full time. But we'll see soon enough.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PH,

I know where you are coming from but to have 5 quality players to cover 6, 7 & 9 (four will play every week). has to be something to think about. Though I can see why due to cost it may be seen as a luxury we can't afford, but at the same time one injury could mean that it is a luxury we can't afford not to have if we are aiming to finish top of the pile in 2021.

I'd like to think that Leeds would allow us McLelland on loan if required, but if Leeds have injuries of their own to deal with this is less likely to happen than would have been the case with DR. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see McLelland getting 10-15 games with the Leeds first team this coming year.

Also it had crossed my mind that Tom could potentially do a job for us at fullback, if Craig Hall was to get injured in a similar way that McNally has filled that role over a number of years with Leigh and Bradford.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

I know where you are coming from but to have 5 quality players to cover 6, 7 & 9 (four will play every week). has to be something to think about. Though I can see why due to cost it may be seen as a luxury we can't afford, but at the same time one injury could mean that it is a luxury we can't afford not to have if we are aiming to finish top of the pile in 2021.

I'd like to think that Leeds would allow us McLelland on loan if required, but if Leeds have injuries of their own to deal with this is less likely to happen than would have been the case with DR. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see McLelland getting 10-15 games with the Leeds first team this coming year.

Also it had crossed my mind that Tom could potentially do a job for us at fullback, if Craig Hall was to get injured in a similar way that McNally has filled that role over a number of years with Leigh and Bradford.

That's a really good shout about covering full back - we don't really have any obvious cover for Hall I don't think, and Holmes has definitely played full back for us before and played well (away at Batley is the one I remember).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That's a really good shout about covering full back - we don't really have any obvious cover for Hall I don't think, and Holmes has definitely played full back for us before and played well (away at Batley is the one I remember).

Yes, Hardman pulled out late due to sickness. Batley tried 'bombing' him from the off but he dealt with everything they threw at him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

My shout was Wildie but I'd be more than happy with Sherlock.

I was really hoping we'd sign Wildie until we re-signed Connor Jones. Big fan of Wildie but for me he's a good hooker who can fill in adequately at half back, it's easier to make do when an injury strikes at hooker than at half back I reckon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That's a really good shout about covering full back - we don't really have any obvious cover for Hall I don't think, and Holmes has definitely played full back for us before and played well (away at Batley is the one I remember).

Liam Whitton is a full back

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2020 at 12:14, The Phantom Horseman said:

Tom Holmes has just been announced as leaving Huddersfield. Wonder where he's off? Giants press release says "he is a player that has a number of options open to him which he is keen to explore and ultimately he will take one of them."

One journo is reporting that Halifax and York are battling to sign him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...