Sat 15 Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Warrington Wolves KO 6.30pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/08/20 at 18:00

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd disagree. I think in general, the refs are under far more pressure. They are literally involved in everything that happens, every tackle, pass, kick, try etc. 

But as I said no one's trying to tackle them while they do it, they're not risking injury and their paypacket at the end of the game doesn't depend upon their performances.  The ref in the Wigan - Leeds game awarded Wigan a try from an offside position and awarded Leeds a try when Briscoe clearly had a foot in touch.  As for the game you're discussing, I thought the tackle that resulted in a Wire player going to the bin was a straight red.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Put another record on.  No one's trying to tackle him when he makes a decision  There's no way refs are under the same pressure as players.  It's what they're  there for.  Some of our officials are pathetic.

And when do the referee's get to take a breather in back play?

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

But as I said no one's trying to tackle them while they do it, they're not risking injury and their paypacket at the end of the game doesn't depend upon their performances.  The ref in the Wigan - Leeds game awarded Wigan a try from an offside position and awarded Leeds a try when Briscoe clearly had a foot in touch.  As for the game you're discussing, I thought the tackle that resulted in a Wire player going to the bin was a straight red.

They also can't command £300k a year at the top of the game, so I don't think we can say the refs have favourable terms on the pay front.

Refs make mistakes, nobody is disputing that, but that's life. Just as players make mistakes, and coaches, and commentators, and camera people - they are all human. 

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They are still under scrutiny, still trying to be the best they can at their profession, do you think the refs just turn up, pi££ everyone off, shove their pay in their backpocket and leg it, not to do anything until the next week?

I think you need to actually educate yourself on what being a referee involves 

42 minutes ago, meast said:

One thing I don't want to come out of this, is the call for the RFL to apologise for every wrong call, keep it on the field, or in private.

I don't want it to become the norm where the RFL feel pressured into apologising to placate fans and clubs.

100% agree

51 minutes ago, meast said:

I was more impressed with how we responded to those matters, instead of it affecting our morale, which, lets be honest isn't always the best, it had the opposite effect, and spurred us on, the likes of Hewitt, Russell to try as hard as they could.

As a Giants fan this is what pleased me most.
It's this culture / attitude that has been missing at the Giants for too long and is what gets you to finals football.
Poo poo happens (and as sure as eggs is eggs will continue to happen) and you have got to be prepared for it and roll the sleeves up accordingly.
Admittedly it's a lot easier said than done but the signs were good especially from some of the younger lads which bodes well for the future.
I just hope we can hold onto our younger lads for the next few years.

In the Wigan game the ref went to the video ref. for off side. not his call with that.

The touch judge was in a good position for the 'in touch' and missed it. The winger swung his leg late so I can see why the ref thought it ok, but the merry flag waver was slow.

Thought the Wire player was lucky with the yellow. But at least the giants player recovered.  I though Austin was lucky not to get a second yellow and thus sent off (?).

20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

In the Wigan game the ref went to the video ref. for off side. not his call with that.

The touch judge was in a good position for the 'in touch' and missed it. The winger swung his leg late so I can see why the ref thought it ok, but the merry flag waver was slow.

Thought the Wire player was lucky with the yellow. But at least the giants player recovered.  I though Austin was lucky not to get a second yellow and thus sent off (?).

Two yellows don’t result in a red. Not in this game

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

But every mistake the officials make is noticed/pointed out and discussed to death, players make a mistake and no one even remembers after 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, meast said:

They are still under scrutiny, still trying to be the best they can at their profession, do you think the refs just turn up, pi££ everyone off, shove their pay in their backpocket and leg it, not to do anything until the next week?

I think you need to actually educate yourself on what being a referee involves 

This is an opinion forum.  I've watched the game and played the game for nearly 60 years. In that time I've seen a lot of referees.  Very few of them could be described as outstanding officials.  The best IMO was Ashley Klein.  Some of those refereeing in SL at them moment are very poor indeed.  Sure players make mistakes, and if they make enough of them they find themselves out of a job.  That doesn't apply to refs.  I watched highlights of last weekend's games and even if that distilled selection there were several howlers.  

We need better officials.  We need a better organisation to run the game.  If the game's administrators can be bamboozled time and again by the likes of Toronto, what chance is there of them maintaining an efficient stable of refs?  As I say it's an opinion forum, and that's my opinion.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

Two yellows don’t result in a red. Not in this game

Yes, not literally, I have been using too much shorthand perhaps.  But committing the same foul repeatedly opens up a player to the danger of being sent off.  In this case that I am referring to the player that did not even get sin binned and the refereedid not give a team caution.

I must say at this rather makes a mockery of this 6 again rule.  In the games I have seen, attackers moving of the mark are as much at fault but never get penalised.  I confess I prefer the old rule, I think the attacker should be penalised for moving off the mark, defenders lying on should be penalised and then sin binned and repeat offending red carded.  Otherwise there ought to be some contest in the ruck. 

It is to be fair being compounded by being no scrums, but the game looks one dimensional to me.

But 

21 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes, not literally, I have been using too much shorthand perhaps.  But committing the same foul repeatedly opens up a player to the danger of being sent off.  In this case that I am referring to the player that did not even get sin binned and the refereedid not give a team caution.

I must say at this rather makes a mockery of this 6 again rule.  In the games I have seen, attackers moving of the mark are as much at fault but never get penalised.  I confess I prefer the old rule, I think the attacker should be penalised for moving off the mark, defenders lying on should be penalised and then sin binned and repeat offending red carded.  Otherwise there ought to be some contest in the ruck. 

It is to be fair being compounded by being no scrums, but the game looks one dimensional to me.

But 

Still not 100% certain what you mean but not every offence is a sin bin and 2 sin bins for the same player still doesn’t have to result in a team caution or a red card

I've seen players penalised for moving off the mark but the rest of the second paragraph is just a farcical suggestion

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

Still not 100% certain what you mean but not every offence is a sin bin and 2 sin bins for the same player still doesn’t have to result in a team caution or a red card

I've seen players penalised for moving off the mark but the rest of the second paragraph is just a farcical suggestion

No, not every foul is a sin bin, but when a second is the same as the first and the referee misses it then he is a lemon.

The decisions at the ruck have become farcical.

On 15/08/2020 at 18:56, OMEGA said:

It’s a red card all day long.

its the defenders responsibility to ensure no contact with the head! BMM has made direct and heavy contact with the shoulder to the head of the attacking player.

Sending Off!

On 15/08/2020 at 18:58, Padge said:

Have you actually seen what happened!!!!!!!!!

On 15/08/2020 at 19:00, OMEGA said:

Are you suggesting that BMM is unfamiliar with how attacking forwards carry the ball into the tackle? It’s BMMs responsibility to avoid contact with the head and he is somewhat reckless here leading with the shoulder at a height likely to contact the head of the attacker!

its a red card 

I rest my case M’lud

18 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No, not every foul is a sin bin, but when a second is the same as the first and the referee misses it then he is a lemon.

The decisions at the ruck have become farcical.

The referee is not a lemon

On 18/08/2020 at 20:44, Trojan said:

This is an opinion forum.  I've watched the game and played the game for nearly 60 years. In that time I've seen a lot of referees.  Very few of them could be described as outstanding officials.  The best IMO was Ashley Klein.  Some of those refereeing in SL at them moment are very poor indeed.  Sure players make mistakes, and if they make enough of them they find themselves out of a job.  That doesn't apply to refs.  I watched highlights of last weekend's games and even if that distilled selection there were several howlers.  

We need better officials.  We need a better organisation to run the game.  If the game's administrators can be bamboozled time and again by the likes of Toronto, what chance is there of them maintaining an efficient stable of refs?  As I say it's an opinion forum, and that's my opinion.

Which players lost their jobs after making a few mistakes?

The point I'm making is, rugby league, like most sports is played by and officiated by, Humans, Humans are prone to mistakes, be they players, coaches, referees, touch judges etc, so why is it fair game to hammer a referee who makes mistakes but not so much players and coaches, isn't being accepting of mistakes happening, not just on a rugby field, but in life, a part of life itself?

Or do you get mad when the newsagent makes a mistake?

On 18/08/2020 at 16:49, meast said:

I was more impressed with how we responded to those matters, instead of it affecting our morale, which, lets be honest isn't always the best, it had the opposite effect, and spurred us on, the likes of Hewitt, Russell to try as hard as they could.

Indeed. Having resilience when faced by adversity is important and being able to win tight games will help this develop.

17 hours ago, meast said:

The point I'm making is, rugby league, like most sports is played by and officiated by, Humans, Humans are prone to mistakes, be they players, coaches, referees, touch judges etc, so why is it fair game to hammer a referee who makes mistakes but not so much players and coaches, isn't being accepting of mistakes happening, not just on a rugby field, but in life, a part of life itself?

Some people seem to hanker after perfection and certainty despite being one eyed themselves. If we want perfection and certainty, we won't find it in team sports.

On 20/08/2020 at 22:29, meast said:

As I said earlier. referees are not making decisions with a 16 stone forward charging towards them.  Of course a player who makes a lot of mistakes will lose income.  And maybe his status as a pro.  That's the nature of competitive sport.

Clement Attlee.

Archived