Sun 30 Aug: SL: Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/20 at 18:00

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Exactly, no P+R allows Clubs to just plod along and keep taking the cash.

No P&R allows clubs to invest to plan and to grow.  It allows the wider game to grow as well, and to expand the the competition.

For scores of years, including the golden years post war, there was no relegation and of course to promotion.  One division.  Thousands and thousands of of fans, record attendances, star players (being paid little money).  Hugely successful, no relegation, more than a dozen teams mid table.   We're they "plodding along"?

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

No P&R allows clubs to invest to plan and to grow.  It allows the wider game to grow as well, and to expand the the competition.

For scores of years, including the golden years post war, there was no relegation and of course to promotion.  One division.  Thousands and thousands of of fans, record attendances, star players (being paid little money).  Hugely successful, no relegation, more than a dozen teams mid table.   We're they "plodding along"?

So you are comparing the early post war era , when young men had returned from fighting still glad to be alive , when there was no TV , no computer games , and the players were paid essentially win bonuses only , with modern life now ?

Seriously ?

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I don't believe Wakey were just going through the motions , I genuinely believe they were trying all they could , I watched the match with my son in the pub and we both commented how refreshingly open Wakey were using the ball , bottom line is , they just weren't good enough , and Warrington's defence was outstanding imo , I enjoyed the match , but RL can be a cruel game at times , this match was one of those occasions 

7 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Trinity seemed very flat, limited ideas, for what ever reason in this game, but their opponents may have had some say in the result. When a second rower goes 80m against them then may be a perfect storm got into their way.

Ben Currie is as good a Centre as he is 2nd Rower so lets not be calling him a plodder.  He was also ideally placed to take that very poor kick from Miller and coast in for that demoralising 71st minute score.   

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

58 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Ben Currie is as good a Centre as he is 2nd Rower so lets not be calling him a plodder.  He was also ideally placed to take that very poor kick from Miller and coast in for that demoralising 71st minute score.   

As sky mentioned,  excellent pressure on miller from Jason Clarke 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So you are comparing the early post war era , when young men had returned from fighting still glad to be alive , when there was no TV , no computer games , and the players were paid essentially win bonuses only , with modern life now ?

Seriously ?

We did not have relegation. You cannot get behind that.  Now we have had P &  R and during that time the game as atrophied.  

36 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

We did not have relegation. You cannot get behind that.  Now we have had P &  R and during that time the game as atrophied.  

So we'd be better if we go back to one division , part time and win bonuses , not forgetting ###### stadiums with outside toilets 

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

He is very quick. Yes. Obviously. Similar to younger Joel Tomkins.

My memory tells me that Geoff Lyon was the quickest.  He would always go length of the field once a season.  My memory is that unfortunately for us one year he did it in the Locker Cup.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So we'd be better if we go back to one division , part time and win bonuses , not forgetting ###### stadiums with outside toilets 

Ah...hmmm....   if you just go back to the earlier part of the thread the point was being made by some that without relegation players were bothering.  I am simply pointing out some facts. Principally that for donkeys years we were quite happy to have no relegation.  Simple fact.   The players were still motivated, assuming they were any good.

So saying players are not bothering this Covid season is rubbish.

On 30/08/2020 at 22:23, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What was the team when we beat Warrington earlier in the season? 

Apart from the ones I’ve already listed as other than, which players are NOT seen as First Choice alternatives in the team that played yesterday?

Are you saying that the team that played yesterday aren’t capable of better than what they served up?

Heres the team that beat Warrington 18 - 8 earlier in the season. 12 either played or were fit and available yesterday while Tupou switched to centre to replace Arundel, Gigot replaced Lyne, Kirmond replaced Pitts and Arona came into the team. All three of those are First Choice alternatives to those not selected. In addition Fifita was available but the CEO chose to stand him down.

That’s 3 players added to the 12 who were available or played leaving just the two young wingers who replaced Johnstone & BJB.

As I said in an earlier post, the injury excuse does not hold up when you look at it. 

Wakefield 18 Vs 8 Warrington v Yesterday

1. Jowitt - Jowitt
    Tupou - Croft
    Lyne - Gigot
    Arundel - Tupou
    Johnsstone - Senior
    Miller - Miller
    Hampshire - Hampshire
    Kopczak - Navarrete (Kopczak was Available)
    K Wood - K Wood
    Tanginoa - Arona
    Pitts - Bachelor
    Ashurst - Ashurst
    Westerman - Westerman
    Subs
    J Wood - Crowther (J Wood was Available)
    Tangata - Tanginoa (Tangata was Available)
    Batchelor - Kirmond
    Navarrete - Green

The validity and effectiveness of the in game track and trace now has to be questioned if the players played vs Catalans and weren’t identified.

This could raise a lot of questions around health and safety for the whole of SL and could potentially have significant implications on the season.

Archived