Jump to content

NRL to cut costs by $80 million per year


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

So if sport was so vulnerable why did the AFL do only a deal until 2022?

They aren't idiots and know the lay of the land...but they can't be manipulated like league

It is risky in this climate for sure. How are things working out for Australia Rugby Union after holding out for TV riches?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

You have a fair point re Murdoch...he did slag league off for years thus bringing huge pressure on the games leaders that ultimately led to their downfall. So it would appear league will always be owned by news Ltd and never free to do as it wants.

Originally when the sl war started news Ltd went to the arl saying we will own the game but we want you to administrator it.....well it took 25 years and that seems where we are at today.

I’m not sure how you surmise that news ltd own the game? If NRL has split the tv rights with 9 and also separate international tv rights and the app then they still hold all the keys 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

It is risky in this climate for sure. How are things working out for Australia Rugby Union after holding out for TV riches?

Please....you're comparing apples and oranges....tv needs sport to survive....league and afl in Australia are the one's people want. Union is a dead duck....Alf has 100s of thousands of passionate supporters....no comparison 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not sure how you surmise that news ltd own the game? If NRL has split the tv rights with 9 and also separate international tv rights and the app then they still hold all the keys 

They get the deal they want....when the league was going independent have a look at the reaction and how the game was driven down through their media.

Start with their reaction when Smith cut them out of the last tv deal....

Major decisions such as expansion are only made if they allow us.

Edited by rlno1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

They get the deal they want....when the league was going independent have a look at the reaction and how the game was driven down through their media.

Start with their reaction when Smith cut them out of the last tv deal....

Major decisions such as expansion are only made if they allow us.

TV money is currently what drives any sport, so I don't have an issue with the major TV partner needing to support any expansion. This in theory should mean the likes of Brisbane 2 and Perth are more likely to happen. There isn't a huge appetite for expansion with the NRL atm anyway.

It's really no different to any other business, where a large investor would want a say

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rlno1 said:

So if sport was so vulnerable why did the AFL do only a deal until 2022?

They aren't idiots and know the lay of the land...but they can't be manipulated like league

I heard the reason the afl did not get a longer deal was because Foxtel are insisting they(the afl) give up the right to televise,  free to air , home states games every week. That is swans,gws into NSW, crows into WA etc. free to air every week to maximise exposure and ratings for interstate clubs. 

Foxtel do not want this arrangement anymore, they want exclusivity to drive their subscriptions. If you do not have Foxtel,  people in these states will only see their home teams when they are part of Sevens set allocation of games for the week.

Edited by The Rocket
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Because they do nothing to earn it!

The NRL (and if we are frank RU) produces all their talent and allows the Warriors to take part in the NRL at their own risk.

In other words the NRL along with the Warriors have basically been the only thing that has stopped RL in NZ from falling into total obscurity while the NZRL themselves have done nothing to better themselves for decades now, yet now that the NRL is seeing some kind of return for their trouble people have the gall to demand no strings attached money from the NRL for taking the privilege of doing their job for them. Well no, the NRL and Warriors took all the risk, they should get all the reward, and if you want the same for yourself then get off your ###### and start building something for yourself.

Now if you want to work together then I'm open to it, but that means you've got to sacrifice some control to the NRL, and historically they haven't been willing to do that.

This is just nonsense.

How many RU players from NZ end up playing in the NRL? A handful, that's all. And every year the NRL clubs sign lots of NZ teenagers - where do you think they come from - the domestic NZ clubs obviously.

  • Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

This is just nonsense.

How many RU players from NZ end up playing in the NRL? A handful, that's all. And every year the NRL clubs sign lots of NZ teenagers - where do you think they come from - the domestic NZ clubs obviously.

Of course a League club junior, who plays Union at school, is classed as belonging to RU by NRL.com journalists.

Is it too Machiavellian to wonder whether NRL do this to absolve themselves of any financial responsibility for NZ?

i.e. if they characterize NZ players as "coming from a Rugby background" and depict NZ as totally dominated by RU, it reaches a point where many people will assume there are no NZ League clubs to help with funding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Of course a League club junior, who plays Union at school, is classed as belonging to RU by NRL.com journalists.

Is it too Machiavellian to wonder whether NRL do this to absolve themselves of any financial responsibility for NZ?

i.e. if they characterize NZ players as "coming from a Rugby background" and depict NZ as totally dominated by RU, it reaches a point where many people will assume there are no NZ League clubs to help with funding.

I think most of them just don't care to learn about anything outside of Sydney.

  • Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2020 at 14:51, The Great Dane said:

Or instead of being leeches the NZRL and grassroots in NZ could get of their ###### and do something for themselves...

Honestly the entitlement is astonishing, and tone deaf considering that the NRL has only got the money because of a massive cost cutting spree.

The NRL has made a net profit out of the New Zealand market in the multi millions for the 25 years the Warriors have been in the NRL. To date the NRL has done nothing to directly assist the grassroots game in NZ.... if anything it is the NRL that leeches of New Zealand Market through profits generated from NZ TV rights etc which have entirely been spent in Australia for the last 25 years. But I have addressed all this before in Shane Richardson thread last year.

Edited by kiwis 13 6
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...