NRL Bagsies SL

Oxford

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, and I'm not particularly against licensing if done well, but people need to be open eyed about what would likely happen. 

People should also be open eyed to the potential of NRL changing a lot of things.

For example; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they came in, found investment for the clubs they see as having commercial potential, then got rid of the clubs that wouldn't play ball or were leftover.

There'd be positives and negatives to everything the NRL would do, but you should just be careful what you wish for.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's one of the big positives for me

A licensing process run by the NRL would certainly shake things up amongst the current occupants of SL 😳

But what does that actually mean? 

That just sounds like a fan annoyed by the way his club was treated. 

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's one of the big positives for me

A licensing process run by the NRL would certainly shake things up amongst the current occupants of SL 😳

Why? They’d almost certainly recognise that minimum standards would mean we would have a six team competition. 

23 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why? They’d almost certainly recognise that minimum standards would mean we would have a six team competition. 

Good. That’s exactly what we should be doing if we implement proper meaningful minimum standards and/or have strategic vision.

I make it 8 teams realistically if you have a starting Super League with decent regional/geographical spread that can then be expanded on. Investment in key markets (hence London in here).

Leeds, London, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Hull, Catalans, Toulouse.

Invite bids time grow league from likes of Newcastle, South Wales, Toronto etc over time.

High quality championship in UK below this. 

Sorted 😉

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

Good. That’s exactly what we should be doing if we implement proper meaningful minimum standards and/or have strategic vision.

I make it 8 teams realistically if you have a starting Super League with decent regional/geographical spread that can then be expanded on. Investment in key markets (hence London in here).

Leeds, London, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Hull, Catalans, Toulouse.

Invite bids time grow league from likes of Newcastle, South Wales, Toronto etc over time.

High quality championship in UK below this. 

Sorted 😉

What you’re suggesting isn’t licensing if you’re parachuting certain clubs in and not measuring them off the same criteria as the rest. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

But what does that actually mean? 

That just sounds like a fan annoyed by the way his club was treated. 

Ermmm ...no

I think I've been pretty vocal about saying that I do NOT want my club to be anywhere near SL right now. Don't confuse me with the masses who keep repeating about how Wakefield should be booted in favour of Fev/Leigh/Toulouse etc.

Obviously, you couldn't have anyone - NRL or others - coming straight in and imposing draconian 'minimum standards', for the reasons you state. What I would hope would happen is a much more long-term view (that I've argued for before in these threads) whereby we look at a plan over a 5-10 timespan. Then we could say to clubs (as an example), there is going to be a round of franchising / licensing in (say) 2025 and these are the standards that you need to have by then. That creates a completely level playing field for everyone to get their house in order, build towards the standards over time and get to that point by a realistic deadline.

What palpably isn't working is the current scenario and moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic every year, changing the structure, messing about with the format and basically getting nowhere

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What you’re suggesting isn’t licensing if you’re parachuting certain clubs in and not measuring them off the same criteria as the rest. 

Fair enough. I was just showing that yes you’re right we probably would only have six clubs (Likely to be Wigan, St Helens, Hull, Leeds, Warrington, Catalans) depending on the licensing criteria used.

I think the NRL or any other sensible owner would be looking to ‘support and encourage’  (potentially with additional funding to support stadia etc) existing or new clubs in key growth areas so they would meet the same criteria.

As it currently stands any new or expansion club is either given no funds (Toronto) or less funds (the new 12th club) which is madness. If we want to grow then you have to invest and not just keep on expecting a sugar daddy to bankroll and then fail.

They can’t do any worse that the current administration, but what exactly would they be buying, the last year of a 5 year contract?

I wouldn’t put it past the Calder Valley Massive to start agitating for a break away Really Good Championship League to be formed within a season because the Aussies insisted on having roofs over terraces. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

We rush to fall on one side of the argument or the other, don't we?

NRL is part of the family but that won't always make them benign. Great for those who are certain about stuff and deny everything else.

I think it would just mean we'll all attack the NRL hierarchy.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

They can’t do any worse that the current administration, but what exactly would they be buying, the last year of a 5 year contract?

I wouldn’t put it past the Calder Valley Massive to start agitating for a break away Really Good Championship League to be formed within a season because the Aussies insisted on having roofs over terraces. 

Why would they do that , they don't have then in OZ 

Buy the SL and the top clubs would ask for relegation and get a TV deal thus sparking a civil war. 

Toronto back in Toulouse, Cats, Saints Leeds Wigan with a few clubs to make up the numbers only this time would be fev york leigh and widnes.

Championship vs SL 

Just now, Davo5 said:

A faint hope that eventually it would lead somewhere.

There was a suggestion that the whole of SL's stadiums are ###### , generally they aren't , just the usual nonsense , I'd be interesting to see them get control of SL , just to see them realise they aren't as clever as they think they are 

Archived