Derek Beaumont

20 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

He does, but he isn’t simply going to refuse it is he should Leigh be accepted. 

No doubt this will be invested wisely unlike last time!

This is the thing though, for a drop of 1 million due to finishing outside the top 4 (700k plus a 500k parachute payment) Beaumont wasn't able to sustain the club, yet now claims to have the cash to fund 1.8 million?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Does not matter, Leigh will be judged on their submission.  

I take my hat off to any bloke who puts his own brass into the game, but promises that are not required, won’t count in the decision.

Part of the submission is ownership. Having a single owner willing to stump up 1.8 million 1 moment then walk out midseason the next isn't going to look good.

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

This is the thing though, for a drop of 1 million due to finishing outside the top 4 (700k plus a 500k parachute payment) Beaumont wasn't able to sustain the club, yet now claims to have the cash to fund 1.8 million?

And what will be the drop in income if/ when Leigh relegated in 12 months time as there won’t be a parachute payment knocking around but the multi year deals will be

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Part of the submission is ownership. Having a single owner willing to stump up 1.8 million 1 moment then walk out midseason the next isn't going to look good.

I don't know what your problem is. Derek bought a better side than the one in SL in 2017 who didn't even finish bottom and got relegated and they completely let him down. Rightly or wrongly, he made some ruthless decisions for which some SL clubs greatly benefitted. I would have tore up every single bloody contract up to be honest! Derek has learned from this but he also won't refuse a caveat of 1m quid. Why should he. He is playing devil's advocate here and he will plough millions into the game that other chairmen (some richer) wouldn't even dream of. 

What's the point in playing peek a boo? Fair play to him too for stating the Fev and London should be first choice also. His comments about Toulouse are valid, so again, what's the problem (unless we want to SL to relocate to 🇫🇷?) 

He is controversial, but so what? 

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That’s how I remember it. Strange the Leigh fans don’t remember it that way. 

In addition to that didn’t they get rid of a load of players at the end of 2018 season then struggle to field a team for the last game of the season??

31 minutes ago, LeeF said:

And what will be the drop in income if/ when Leigh relegated in 12 months time as there won’t be a parachute payment knocking around but the multi year deals will be

There have been no multi year deals since 2018, everyone is signed on 1 year deals, I think the lessons have been well and truly learnt from the days of handing out 3/4 year deals in 2017/8

This is how you have financial difficulties https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/15042484.revealed-the-true-scale-of-debts-that-sent-bradford-bulls-into-administration/  (sorry Bulls fans)

You can't pay your bills and can't settle with those you owe - HMRC £400K - owing HMRC is terrible for the sport and all the players contracts ripped up, not settled.

Now what financial problems will hinder Leighs submission?

They did deals with contracted players to settle, they paid HMRC first, they paid bob the kit washer, they paid the coach company etc etc - they owed nobody owt and did not lose money that year or the year before or the years after. That is not financially weak in this sport.

39 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Lee, it's very easy to shed contracts after relegation as SL contracts all contain the same clause, so Billy Brilliant can have a 10 year £1m a season contract for SL but nothing if the club is relegated - hope that helps

45 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Centrally? Around 300kish? Same as the increase for next season 

33 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In addition to that didn’t they get rid of a load of players at the end of 2018 season then struggle to field a team for the last game of the season??

So that means leigh shouldn't be considered for Sl but Bradford should who have gone from bad to worse financially and helped out by the rfl.

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yeah odd that, they have funny memories it seems. Always touches a nerve when its pointed out though! Its like a collective Victorian hallucination.

Just now, PEANUT HEAD said:

You didn't but that's how it's coming across from a lot of people on here, just love the double standards on here.

No double standards from me. My vote would be for Toulouse or York out of those eligible and applying. But I’m not a decision maker

42 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I don't know what your problem is. Derek bought a better side than the one in SL in 2017 who didn't even finish bottom and got relegated and they completely let him down. Rightly or wrongly, he made some ruthless decisions for which some SL clubs greatly benefitted. I would have tore up every single bloody contract up to be honest! Derek has learned from this but he also won't refuse a caveat of 1m quid. Why should he. He is playing devil's advocate here and he will plough millions into the game that other chairmen (some richer) wouldn't even dream of. 

What's the point in playing peek a boo? Fair play to him too for stating the Fev and London should be first choice also. His comments about Toulouse are valid, so again, what's the problem (unless we want to SL to relocate to 🇫🇷?) 

He is controversial, but so what? 

I don't have a problem at all and indeed often agree with Mr Beaumont on several wider game issues that he has brought up such as P/R and international clubs.

I just don't get the hero worship and contradictory statements, and won't hesitate to point out where they are flawed. As you say he acted "rightly or wrongly", that can't help Leigh's case now. He spent beyond his means dragging the club and league into disrepute - yet is now claiming he can spend more than that, after the pandemic? Really? 

We all know what happened at Leigh that year was an unethical midseason clearout of players on inflated contracts as a result ultimately of financial and contract mismanagement. That is squarely at DB's door. For all that I'd bag Michael Carter for being unambitious or Gary Hetherington for being tight on the purse strings, neither have upped sticks midseason because the team didn't finish in a good enough position - and both have had plenty of reason to do so in recent times.

So as I say, in a licensing scenario, the only major negatives Leigh face is the prospective market share and that episode. 

2 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

I would argue that we shouldn’t need to rely on an owner continually dipping into their own pocket. 

No doubt you posted similar criticism of Toronto,London,Huddersfield and a couple of others on here previously ?

35 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

This is how you have financial difficulties https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/15042484.revealed-the-true-scale-of-debts-that-sent-bradford-bulls-into-administration/  (sorry Bulls fans)

You can't pay your bills and can't settle with those you owe - HMRC £400K - owing HMRC is terrible for the sport and all the players contracts ripped up, not settled.

Now what financial problems will hinder Leighs submission?

They did deals with contracted players to settle, they paid HMRC first, they paid bob the kit washer, they paid the coach company etc etc - they owed nobody owt and did not lose money that year or the year before or the years after. That is not financially weak in this sport.

And if DB walked away? I know there’s plenty of other clubs reliant on a single owner, but it’s such a concern. Clubs should be working towards sustainability, and if that means spending less on players then that’s what it means. 

Archived