Eviction

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have a flat, however after I signed the protocol, I noticed the windows were insulated with old carpet & tea-towels, when it started raining, I could feel the rain & wind coming in between the aincent glass,with cracks secured with sellotape & frames.

https://www.diy.com/departments/soudal-putty-500g/1781680_BQ.prd

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Thank you, but as my window frames, sash frames seem separated by 2 inches, vertically, this may not help.

The sash windows look as though they are originally on the building, 1866'ish, they are garbage. 

This might help

https://www.wilko.com/unibond-no-more-big-gaps-expanding-foam-cream-500ml/p/0457574?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-JJHnfMzO0z5wdp7d0I50Qj8o5c_zToMbEbSWkEvdvBI4_ImNqwfJYaArF6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 26/05/2021 at 09:58, Johnoco said:

If they’ve been there since 1866 I’d suggest that means they are anything but ‘garbage’. They sound incredibly well made actually but nothing lasts forever.

They have been there so long the paint has sealed the sides of the frames, landlord says under no circumstances try to move windows.

Moved in on Wednesday and then spent 24hrs in hospital.

Friday I realised the previous resident had taken everything, including light bulbs & the doorbell.

And the gas card which had nothing on the meter, so I have no hot water, electric key is missing, & Southern Water aren't answering their phones so I can change the account.

Friday a friend offered to pay 66% of a deep clean lady otherwise I would end up in hospital again cleaning my kitchen. She was right. Kitchen looks like new, really new.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Moved in on Wednesday and then spent 24hrs in hospital.

Friday I realised the previous resident had taken everything, including light bulbs & the doorbell.

And the gas card which had nothing on the meter, so I have no hot water, electric key is missing, & Southern Water aren't answering their phones so I can change the account.

Friday a friend offered to pay 66% of a deep clean lady otherwise I would end up in hospital again cleaning my kitchen. She was right. Kitchen looks like new, really new.

Utility companies can’t not answer the phone if you’re off supply it’s as it’s an emergency. Be more patient

On 29/05/2021 at 17:56, Spidey said:

Utility companies can’t not answer the phone if you’re off supply it’s as it’s an emergency. Be more patient

It is an emergency, she took the gas card and left me with no hot water.

Moved into my new flat on Thursday, Landlord is already demanding an inspection. 

I told letting agents to tell him to bug off, he is just being nosey. How much damage can one man make?

Mr Chen is just trying to pull my plonker. But I'm more savvy than him.

On 29/05/2021 at 17:56, Spidey said:

Sorted. Previous resident, who had moved one floor down, was just looking after them for me.

39 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Moved into my new flat on Thursday, Landlord is already demanding an inspection. 

I told letting agents to tell him to bug off, he is just being nosey. How much damage can one man make?

Mr Chen is just trying to pull my plonker. But I'm more savvy than him.

You like getting on with people don’t you 😳

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2021 at 20:09, Bleep1673 said:

No

Actually, a charity for the homeless and disadvantaged I connect with, contacted an electrician, and he came in and changed all 6 bulbs to energy efficient bulbs, and silicone sealed one of the draughty windows that were painted shut.

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Actually, a charity for the homeless and disadvantaged I connect with, contacted an electrician, and he came in and changed all 6 bulbs to energy efficient bulbs, and silicone sealed one of the draughty windows that were painted shut.

...just as the weather got hot and you'd have welcomed a bit of air coming into the place to cool it down.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Are the windows not part of a fire evacuation plan ? Seems unsafe to have windows painted shut.

6 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Are the windows not part of a fire evacuation plan ? Seems unsafe to have windows painted shut.

When odd-jobbing, I once drew the line when a landlord wanted the window painted shut just for a sake of saving a couple of hours off the paint job

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I don't wish to sound harsh or anything but you said at the start of the thread that you had £6K saved up? So why do you need to use a charity for a few lightbulbs and a guy round to do a basic bit of DIY like  putting on bit of silicone? You can pick these up for a pittance at a pound shop or Wilkos or a place like that. The charities must be stretched as it is.

I also pointed you to how to get them for nothing a number of posts ago. 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I don't wish to sound harsh or anything but you said at the start of the thread that you had £6K saved up? So why do you need to use a charity for a few lightbulbs and a guy round to do a basic bit of DIY like  putting on bit of silicone? You can pick these up for a pittance at a pound shop or Wilkos or a place like that. The charities must be stretched as it is.

There are very few landlords who will accept 6 months rent in advance, it was increasingly looking like I was going to be on the streets, the council passed my details on to this charity that helps the vulnerable.

At the last minute an ex-Rugby Union mate offered to be my guarantor 

The charity put me in touch with cheap removals, and a deep clean person on my last flat to ensure my deposit. Although Your Move were STILL highly critical. After 4 years, they are complaining about finger marks around the light switches.

I still do have some of the alleged saving, and will make a donation, as they have done more than help me move home.

In the 3 weeks since moving, I have been hospitalised twice, 2 epileptic seizures, and a bout of Gout, where I fell and dislocated my shoulder. So I don't need negativity tonight, OK?

• 2 weeks later...

Positive news today on this thread.

I am settling in to my new place, landlord has helped me fit a roller blind in my bedroom, because I am overlooked, not bothered about living room as it overlooks the English Channel from the 2nd floor, Butchers, Greengrocers, Offie, TK Maxx all within walking distance, Morrisons, Asda & Job Centre are 2x Buses, Sunday buses are one per hour. So Grocery shopping on a Saturday. Butchers are quite good.

I dumped my chip pan before move as it was 30+ years old, and thick with grease on the outside, and found a charity shop that was selling a deep fryer, almost brand new, still in wrapping for £10. I negotiated £15. Cancer charity shop....

Landlord is a loony. Thinks he can walk into the flat whenever because he owns it, he tries it once more I will report him. Residents have rights.

Archived