Has the RLWC timed its run right? Might well pay off!

It is such a risky and delicate time but might the RLWC actually pay off from being a focal point around the autumn of 2021? I know even the Euros are scratching around at the moment, cancelling and moving games from countries. The crowds won't be there. The Lions tour and Olympics are really wobbling being in that summer spot.

If is still a pretty high risk but the competition could well time its run perfectly with decent capacities and excellent coverage. I am an eternal optimist but I think the game deserves a break and this could be it. October/November could be just the right time (fingers crossed)!

I think it could easily be the big sporting event that the country embraces post lockdown and could be a huge success and remembered fondly for it.

No-one would have wished this ill wind but you can sense that the country is desperate to return back to normal and a big sporting tournament can help deliver that.  I would say the organisers of the tournament, who have done a wonderful job to date, deserve no less.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

31 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is such a risky and delicate time but might the RLWC actually pay off from being a focal point around the autumn of 2021? I know even the Euros are scratching around at the moment, cancelling and moving games from countries. The crowds won't be there. The Lions tour and Olympics are really wobbling being in that summer spot.

If is still a pretty high risk but the competition could well time its run perfectly with decent capacities and excellent coverage. I am an eternal optimist but I think the game deserves a break and this could be it. October/November could be just the right time (fingers crossed)!

Was thinking this a few days ago, Could well be the perfect timing. 

34 minutes ago, Scubby said:

the only people who talk about luck and breaks in my experience (not counting people talking about it here, more those that actually have the power in companies etc) are those that just expect it to happen and not put the effort in around it. You do make your own luck and make your own breaks.. RL HAVE to capitalise on this.. push it like hell if the above turns out to be true, then push afterwards too.. move heaven and earth to get people involved, to get the coverage etc etc etc.. we have had chances and missed them, lets not miss this one!

15 minutes ago, RP London said:

the only people who talk about luck and breaks in my experience (not counting people talking about it here, more those that actually have the power in companies etc) are those that just expect it to happen and not put the effort in around it. You do make your own luck and make your own breaks.. RL HAVE to capitalise on this.. push it like hell if the above turns out to be true, then push afterwards too.. move heaven and earth to get people involved, to get the coverage etc etc etc.. we have had chances and missed them, lets not miss this one!

A break is different from luck IMO but I get what you are saying.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I doubt many will come over from France, New Zealand, Australia or any other country, even if they are allowed. Hopefully domestic fans can attend games unrestricted but I think it’ll be 1 year too early to be timed right. Any hint of a 3rd covid wave hitting the UK should see the tournament immediately postponed for 1 year IMO, as doing so at the last minute would be a disaster. I hope the tournament can go ahead and is a great success.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I doubt many will come over from France, New Zealand, Australia or any other country, even if they are allowed. Hopefully domestic fans can attend games unrestricted but I think it’ll be 1 year too early to be timed right. Any hint of a 3rd covid wave hitting the UK should see the tournament immediately postponed for 1 year IMO, as doing so at the last minute would be a disaster. I hope the tournament can go ahead and is a great success.

Apart from a planeload of French fans the tournament will be 99.9% English residents attending.

With a feel good factor we could come out of this with some great attendances.

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Apart from a planeload of French fans the tournament will be 99.9% English residents attending.

With a feel good factor we could come out of this with some great attendances.

I agree. Theres a big market for international sport and the RLWC should pull in some decent crowds.

Im really looking forward to the whole event. 16 teams. Australia clear favourites and Tonga and NZ very strong however England looking like they could cause an upset Victory if things go their way. Wane is a very good coach and I would not be shocked if he can fashion a winning side over the tournament. 

Archived