Make Aus v NZ great again

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s an issue they’ll have to deal with. Players have committed to tier two nations before, I’m sure others will continue to do so. 

And that’s exactly my argument. SOO is too much of a temptation for some.

It would be a huge shame if the likes of Brian To’o and Jerome luai choose Australia over Samoa and Xavier Coates chose Australia over PNG.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

And that’s exactly my argument. SOO is too much of a temptation for some.

It would be a huge shame if the likes of Brian To’o and Jerome luai choose Australia over Samoa and Xavier Coates chose Australia over PNG.

Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. 

State of Origin is giving players a platform and the international game in that hemisphere is as good as its ever been. 

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. 

State of Origin is giving players a platform and the international game in that hemisphere is as good as its ever been. 

What happens when we do cross that bridge?

The NRL already gives the players a platform.

6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What happens when we do cross that bridge?

The NRL already gives the players a platform.

Players will make a decision, that’s what will happen. Looking at recent years, the tier two nations have been able to name probably their strongest sides ever, there’s little to suggest that will change. 

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Players will make a decision, that’s what will happen. Looking at recent years, the tier two nations have been able to name probably their strongest sides ever, there’s little to suggest that will change. 

Let’s hope that you’re right.

State of Origin isn't going anywhere and the relaxing of the rules at least allows players to still play for the Pacific Island teams.

If there's the WC, Oceania cup, maybe Aus vs NZ, Tonga vs Samoa and PNG vs Fiji mid season and a 4N or 6N during a WC cycle then hopefully that gives players plenty of motivation to represent countries other than Australia

19 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Greg Dowling’s stoush with Kevin Tamati defines Trans-Tasman Test rivalry | Daily Telegraph

Greg Dowling speaking :

"We were both riled up. Some people thought I threw (racial) taunts at him but even though we hated each other I never used terminology like that and never would.

What I did say what the Kiwis do with their sheep is utterly disgusting. We have to eat those things.’’

"Tamati was up for the blue after spending the previous summer doing boxing training and having several amateur fights.

"Dowling then had to tour New Zealand for the remaining two Tests of the series where he felt as welcome as a man trying to order a steak sandwich at a vegetarian restaurant.

I really copped it when we played in New Zealand. None of the boys would walk down the same side of the street as me. I’m serious.’

The fight:  Tamati v Dowling - YouTube

I got to know Kevin and Dean Bell quite well in the early 2000,s before they moved back to NZ.

KT is a total legend and certainly lived up to that old rugby saying that the hardest guys on the paddock  were the nicest guys off it:)

Paul

20 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

If they play well in state of origin this will make it harder for both the Australian selectors and the players themselves not to opt to play for Australia.

Currently, more and more top players are choosing other nations than Australia than ever before.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

22 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, they have a proper international calendar with an Oceania Cup and other tests as well as a World Cup. They may well choose to play in those and State of Origin. 

THE NRL this year killed the mid-year internationals....and with that two or three great Pacific Tests

20 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

THE NRL this year killed the mid-year internationals....and with that two or three great Pacific Tests

They really didn’t though, did they? They decided against it in a Covid year and considering there’s a World Cup at the end of the year. 

41 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They really didn’t though, did they? They decided against it in a Covid year and considering there’s a World Cup at the end of the year. 

Troy Grant has already made his position quite clear and that he will move to end of season internationals from 2022. His comments already show that he will do no more than sing to the NRL's tune.

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Troy Grant has already made his position quite clear and that he will move to end of season internationals from 2022. His comments already show that he will do no more than sing to the NRL's tune.

There’s not a great deal wrong with playing the Oceania Cup in one go, rather than in two blocks. 

54 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If the end of season Oceanic cup continues post pandemic and when SOO is on France and Eng invite over a Pacific team for a mid season test, we have the makings of a proper calendar.

No pacific side is coming here, nor should we expect us to go there mid season. 

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s not a great deal wrong with playing the Oceania Cup in one go, rather than in two blocks. 

There's a great deal wrong with only having internationals for a few weeks at the end of the season.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's a great deal wrong with only having internationals for a few weeks at the end of the season.

That’s very different from what I said. A tournament should really be played in one block rather than two. There’s no confirmation that mid-season tests are gone either AFAIK so it’s a lot of finger wagging at the NRL at this stage. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s very different from what I said. A tournament should really be played in one block rather than two. There’s no confirmation that mid-season tests are gone either AFAIK so it’s a lot of finger wagging at the NRL at this stage. 

Well your reply was very different to what I said and the post you responded too.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well your reply was very different to what I said and the post you responded too.

So yeah, it’s a load of pontificating and foot stamping over something that matters little to us when we have our own international issues but while we have a diversion, let’s forget our issues, eh?

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So yeah, it’s a load of pontificating and foot stamping over something that matters little to us when we have our own international issues but while we have a diversion, let’s forget our issues, eh?

The thread isn't about our issues though is it? There's plenty of other threads to discuss those.

If the Oceania cup and mid season tests are promoted and a regular fixture in the calendar then there's enough competitive nations in the SH for them to have a proper international calendar outside of WCs. 

The problem with International RL and for England in particular is that the standard of NH RL isnt high enough except for England. We need to somehow get a few NH nations at a level where they can compete with England so we aren't just relying on the NRL and SH nations for competitve fixtures

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If the Oceania cup and mid season tests are promoted and a regular fixture in the calendar then there's enough competitive nations in the SH for them to have a proper international calendar outside of WCs. 

The problem with International RL and for England in particular is that the standard of NH RL isnt high enough except for England. We need to somehow get a few NH nations at a level where they can compete with England so we aren't just relying on the NRL and SH nations for competitve fixtures

This is exactly right.

With the NRL growing more and more talent that can and will play for other nations outside of Australia and New Zealand, the international game will grow stronger down under.  The Aussies will realise that this is another aspect they have over AFL and will leverage it. They are too savvy not to.

In the NH England continues to refuse to play France in regular and long term schedule home and away fixtures.  So we either go down under every year and starve our fans of games to attend or we convince (perhaps financially) 2 or 3 nations to come here and play a tournament.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Why couldnt we pay for a Tonga to come over the week when SOO takes place on a weekend next year? 

The TV money and sponsors would cover the cost surely? 

Because NRL clubs aren’t going to release their players to travel across the planet mid-year and nor should they be expected to. I certainly wouldn’t want it the other way round either. 

A crazy thought, we should just play the northern hemisphere nations and actually put together a proper international calendar rather than playing the victim. 

In a 4 year cycle there could be a WC, NH competition, 4/6N, NH competition, then repeat. Mid season could have Eng vs France, Wales vs Jamaica, Ireland vs Scotland in one off tests.

SH could be WC, Oceania cup, 4/6N, Oceania cup, then repeat. Mid season - Aus vs NZ, Tonga vs Samoa, Fiji vs PNG as well as SOO. 

If the NRL was smart they'd revert to mid-week origins and then have a single free international weekend after it. Aus v NZ and Samoa v Tonga double header in NZ. This would give dual eligible players the chance to do both, and actually enhance both the kangaroos brand and state of origin. All of a sudden, origin is back to being a kangaroo selection trial, with test football positioned at the top of the pyramid. Six weeks of origin fever would actually promote test football by giving the media debates like 'can Harry Grant take Cook's Australian test jersey?' 'Will To'o and Luai choose Samoa?'

State of Origin is one of the highest profile sporting events in Australia, and it goes for weeks! Let's use it to help promote test footy, like it did in the early 90s when so much of the state v state banter was about who would get test jerseys (eg. Walters v Elias, Langer v Stuart)

22 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Troy Grant already announced te end of any mid-season tests....and referred to the wishes of the NRL club bosses

Archived