Shane Richardson Calls for Overhaul of British Rugby League

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not sure I understand this:

"Richardson also wants a shake-up of the international game, accusing previous administrators of pouring money into European teams despite 75 per cent of the players coming from the southern hemisphere, an act he describes as “commercial suicide”."

Must just want England, France, NZ & Australia to play the game. The others can't afford it and he doesn't see any point in paying their travel and accommodation and covering base payments to players representing those NGBs for things like WC9s and World Cups. Especially if they aren't very competitive at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Must just want England, France, NZ & Australia to play the game. The others can't afford it and he doesn't see any point in paying their travel and accommodation and covering base payments to players representing those NGBs for things like WC9s and World Cups. Especially if they aren't very competitive at all. 

Yes. I think that reading covers it.

I think his "radical" vision can be safely ignored by everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's an insane proposal. You'd have thought his time at Gateshead and Hull would have taught him at least two things - 

- Hull FC and Hull KR are stronger because of each other, not weaker.

- Marshalling imaginary teams with imaginary fan bases backed by imaginary money into a fantasy league in a severely mature sports market like the UK is a ticket to losing a lot of money.

Apparently not though. Bewildering if this is as good a proposal as we're going to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's an insane proposal. You'd have thought his time at Gateshead and Hull would have taught him at least two things - 

- Marshalling imaginary teams with imaginary fan bases backed by imaginary money into a fantasy league in a severely mature sports market like the UK is a ticket to losing a lot of money.

Apparently not though. Bewildering if this is as good a proposal as we're going to see.

True but at least the man has 1) recognised a problem 2) spent a bit of time on a proposal 3) distributed it to stakeholders in both hemispheres and 4) had the minerals to go public about his efforts & recommendations. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I have not seen any evidence to prove or disprove this, but my impression would be the same as yours. The one city in the UK where we can have a Rugby League derby. Surely we should try to nurture that rather than get rid of it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I have not seen any evidence to prove or disprove this, but my impression would be the same as yours. The one city in the UK where we can have a Rugby League derby. Surely we should try to nurture that rather than get rid of it?

The rivalries are what you can build league around. International and national. From my trade union days merging is usually a sign of weakness, not of strength. Hull derby, Saints vs Wigan, Leeds vs Bulls (before we bankrupted ourselves). 

Get a Manchester team and we can have Manchester vs Salford/ Warrington. Eng vs France, Eng vs Wales. This is the market. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

When the Welsh and London team lose games and end up playing in front of 1500 again we then start to wonder why we sacked off the 7k from Cas etc. If we have 10 teams, is he proposing 18 games? Or more loop fixtures?

26 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Ten teams would be OK but instead of a double round Robin (18 games) we'd see an increase in loop fixtures.

You`d have to think he just means home and away, and a bye or a free week-end to organise a game against France, Wales etc. if that`s feasible, that`d give your national team a game then before they played Oz, the Kiwis or both at the end of the year.

But it is a big if just dropping a London, Welsh or maybe to a lesser extent Newcastle team into the comp. 

The only chance it could have was if the salary cap was big enough because of the reduced number of teams in the comp, so that those teams would be able to immediately assemble competitive squads. Other wise you end up with what Dave was saying in the top post, and that would be a disaster.

Is that feasible, the best players from your current 12 team comp condensed into 10 teams.

One advantage you do have, there is no where else for excess players from the NRL or elsewhere to play, so if they want to get paid to play Rugby League it really is NRL or Super League. And I really think there are oodles of good enough players sloshing around to make up 26 good competitive Rugby League teams in the world.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

The rivalries are what you can build league around. International and national. From my trade union days merging is usually a sign of weakness, not of strength. Hull derby, Saints vs Wigan, Leeds vs Bulls (before we bankrupted ourselves). 

Get a Manchester team and we can have Manchester vs Salford/ Warrington. Eng vs France, Eng vs Wales. This is the market. 

Quite. Imagine how valuable the Saints-Wigan and Hull derbies are to Sky.

Richardson is coming at this from an Australian perspective and really doesn't seem to have the first clue about the British sport market.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

You`d have to think he just means home and away, and a bye or a free week-end to organise a game against France, Wales etc. if that`s feasible, that`d give your national team a game then before they played Oz, the Kiwis or both at the end of the year.

But it is a big if just dropping a London, Welsh or maybe to a lesser extent Newcastle team into the comp. 

The only chance it could have was if the salary cap was big enough because of the reduced number of teams in the comp, so that those teams would be able to immediately assemble competitive squads. Other wise you end up with what Dave was saying in the top post, and that would be a disaster.

Is that feasible, the best players from your current 12 team comp condensed into 10 teams.

One advantage you do have, there is no where else for excess players from the NRL or elsewhere to play, so if they want to get paid to play Rugby League it really is NRL or Super League. And I really think there are oodles of good enough players sloshing around to make up 26 good competitive Rugby League teams in the world.

Absolutely nuts, we are in a position to grow with modern stadia and commercial opportunites at clubs like Toulouse York and Newcastle to complement our existing teams. I´d only be using the threat of franchising as leverage to expand the top flight to a healthy 14/15 teams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Richardson is coming at this from an Australian perspective and really doesn't seem to have the first clue about the British sport market.

I have no problem locking teams in if there is a plan but why would you lock teams out? Works in NRL because it´s the number 1 sport, League can´t afford to turn it´s back on great clubs like cas. Just expand and spread the tv moner thinner and tell the Wakey´s of the world that it´s commercial income you need to grow, not tv handouts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Yes considering he worked here his ideas look like he just arrived from Betelgeuse

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. I think that reading covers it.

I think his "radical" vision can be safely ignored by everyone.

Indeed, it's absolutely terrible and he sounds pretty clueless about the game or situation here. Getting rid of the name Super League is the only thing that has any mileage for me, and even at that some like it. Little of it is even original either. 

49 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

From my trade union days merging is usually a sign of weakness, not of strength. Hull derby, Saints vs Wigan, Leeds vs Bulls (before we bankrupted ourselves). 

As you may be aware from my previous posts, I hate how people on here often live in the past.

However, your post brings back memories of the 'Big West Yorkshire Derby' as I used to call it, and how massive it was. I remember (early 2000s) checking to see who was at home, because if it was Bradford we could expect well over 20,000 in the big stadium. I remember 24,000 on a summer Friday night around 2002 I am sure.

That game was a huge asset to the League as a whole, as it built the profile of the competition. 

Looking back on it now, the decline is absolutely criminal.

Edited by The Frying Scotsman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just expand and spread the tv moner thinner and tell the Wakey´s of the world that it´s commercial income you need to grow, not tv handouts. 

In the modern world though, broadcast revenue is what makes or breaks professional sport. Mark Evans(?) the former Melbourne Storm chairman was speaking about precisely that just recently.

You are correct about commercial income being a 'Must Grow' for most clubs (especially the deadbeats) but broadcast revenue will decide the viability of the sport as a professional entity. It will always be Number 1 for now.

2 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

As you may be aware from my previous posts, I hate how people on here often live in the past.

However, the your post brings back memories of 'Big West Yorkshire Derby' as I used to call it, and how massive it was. I remember (early 2000s) checking to see who was at home, because if it was Bradford we could expect well over 20,000 in the big stadium. I remember 24,000 on a summer Friday night around 2002 I am sure.

That game was a huge asset to the League as a whole, as it built the profile of the competition. 

Looking back on it now, the decline is absolutely criminal.

Watching those Bulls vs Leeds games on SKY is what got me hooked on RL and the internationals keeps me engaged. Seeing the steam of the players heads on the post match interview, night games, we had a fantastic product. 

Now obviously Bulls need to halve the capacity of that stadium (build a 2000 capacity stand with modern TV facilities) which at Odsal is a couple of million at least but having 8-9000 for Bulls vs Leeds back in SL would be immense. 

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

In the modern world though, broadcast revenue is what makes or breaks professional sport. Mark Evans(?) the former Melbourne Storm chairman was speaking about precisely that just recently.

You are correct about commercial income being a 'Must Grow' for most clubs (especially the deadbeats) but broadcast revenue will decide the viability of the sport as a professional entity. It will always be Number 1 for now.

True but I´m taking about dropping from 1.5 to 1.2 or 1.1 million. With FTA games you have to look to make up the gap in money. Plus I actually think without expanding the current product to get your Toulouse or Newcastle in the money will only shrink further as companies like Sky increasingly lose out to streaming services. 

Think in many ways we are going back to the future as sports not called football aren´t needed as channel fillers and fta sport makes a comeback. 

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Watching those Bulls vs Leeds games on SKY is what got me hooked on RL and the internationals keeps me engaged. Seeing the steam of the players heads on the post match interview, night games, we had a fantastic product. 

They were massive.

Not only that, they were far bigger than anything that "competing sports" had at club level.

The decline, as I say, is criminal.

7 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

They were massive.

Not only that, they were far bigger than anything that "competing sports" had at club level.

The decline, as I say, is criminal.

There´s a netflix style 2 hour documentary to be made in how it all went wrong . "The death of the Bulls" has a good ring to it. 

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

I could say that you don’t have a clue about Richardson, which appears to be true.  He does have an idea about the game here, albeit some years back with Gateshead then Hull FC.

Many of the points he raises (and we don’t know them all) have already been mentioned on this Forum.

Richardson is an honest guy who genuinely has the game at heart.  He is providing what he sees as a plan.  What have SLE provided as their plan for the future?

It would be foolish not to look at his suggestions.  We don’t have to take them all, if any, but the worst that should come out of this is that it generates momentum to push the game forward.  The other option is to sit on our hands and wait for more advice -and then say it’ll never work.  We seem to be good at that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I could say that you don’t have a clue about Richardson, which appears to be true.  He does have an idea about the game here, albeit some years back with Gateshead then Hull FC.

I mean I literally said that in my post above.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

It's an insane proposal. You'd have thought his time at Gateshead and Hull would have taught him at least two things

Richardson seems to be respected by some by virtue of being about for a long time. He didn't cover himself in glory at either Gateshead or Hull and was behind the scrapping of the u20s National Youth Competition in Australia, which many disagreed with and which many want brought back. Indeed Phil Gould recently citing this decision as one of the reasons between the widening gap in the NRL. It was also great for pinching Union players, particularly in NZ.

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

Richardson seems to be respected by some by virtue of being about for a long time. He didn't cover himself in glory at either Gateshead or Hull and was behind the scrapping of the u20s National Youth Competition in Australia, which many disagreed with and which many want brought back. Indeed Phil Gould recently citing this decision as one of the reasons between the widening gap in the NRL. It was also great for pinching Union players, particularly in NZ.

Nah, can’t agree with that.  He absolutely put Hull FC back on track financially.  Even after merging/pinching Gateshead the club coffers were bare and the next few years became more sustainable.  He did a good job there as well as eradicating the language issues the crowd at the boulevard had developed.  But I don’t know about the under 20s or whether his career in Aus has been as successful as it could have been.

Very genuine, passionate for the whole game bloke.  Maybe his ‘plan’ will gee SLE up, maybe not but they should be considering anything that is good for the game.

• Like 1