Jump to content

Squad 2022


Recommended Posts

On 21/12/2021 at 07:42, marklaspalmas said:

JSL announced as Squad Number 12.

If you don't mind, I'll alter the OP in 25 days time when everyone has got their number, rather than one per day. ūüėČ

NOT long to wait mark due out midday  chrimbo eve

BUT makes you wonder which member of FEV's twitterati is suffering from premature ejaculation randomly giving out players first JSL 12 mow GILL 25 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


According to the squad announcement Brandon Pickersgill completes the Featherstone Rovers 2022 squad so that's a 25 man squad looking at it I think we're still a big prop short one who can break the line and takes more than one to bring him down ala fergie in his pomp

However the coach on twittersphere has said we're not done with recruitment so if the signings are finished would assume he was referring to the whino's contingent  looking who is supposedly on offer Sam Walters is 117kg and 199 cm which for us mere mortals is 18st and 6 foot 6 and according to the Whino's formidable running at the line and also possesses an offload game so with BM's intimate knowledge of the front row maybe he can bring out his potential and turn him into one of the best in the championship

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sentoffagain2 said:

  Would like Mustapha on dual reg he has squad number 27 for Rhinos so may not be in the match day squad  too often without injuries.Very impressed with him playing for KR at the end of last season,he is a hard worker in attack and defence.

HE's gone to the bulls S

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/12/2021 at 10:35, POR said:

According to the squad announcement Brandon Pickersgill completes the Featherstone Rovers 2022 squad so that's a 25 man squad 

However the coach on twittersphere has said we're not done with recruitment 

I wouldn't over-analyse that Twitter line, I think it meant that completes the countdown of the squad down to number 1.  There will be at least 1 more signing to come, leaving aside the DR arrangement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I wouldn't over-analyse that Twitter line, I think it meant that completes the countdown of the squad down to number 1.  There will be at least 1 more signing to come, leaving aside the DR arrangement. 

I never do PH ¬†¬†at least one more signing well they better hurry up we got 3¬† games to play¬† starting in two weeksūü§£ūüŹČūü•≥

Similarly I'm a bit surprised that we haven't announced the  DR lads Bulls told the world about their three  on 2nd dec

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, POR said:

I never do PH ¬†¬†at least one more signing well they better hurry up we got 3¬† games to play¬† starting in two weeksūü§£ūüŹČūü•≥

Similarly I'm a bit surprised that we haven't announced the  DR lads Bulls told the world about their three  on 2nd dec

 

In January 2018 we announced Gareth Hock, in January 2019 we announced Cameron King, in January 2020 we announced Gareth Gale, and in January 2021 we announced Junior Moors. For me its not a big deal if we still have a player or 2 to unveil in January.

The players we might use from the Rhinos are likely to be closer to their first team than the ones on loan at Bradford, so it probably wouldn't make much sense to announce names as one Leeds injury might take them out of the equation. In any case DR players aren't usually nominated in advance of the season are they?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

In January 2018 we announced Gareth Hock, in January 2019 we announced Cameron King, in January 2020 we announced Gareth Gale, and in January 2021 we announced Junior Moors. For me its not a big deal if we still have a player or 2 to unveil in January.

The players we might use from the Rhinos are likely to be closer to their first team than the ones on loan at Bradford, so it probably wouldn't make much sense to announce names as one Leeds injury might take them out of the equation. In any case DR players aren't usually nominated in advance of the season are they?

I'd agree we're likely to see one or two further signings, and as with previous seasons I can foresee additions on long term loan as the season progresses to cover gaps or injuries, much as previous years. 

What stands out to me in the January signings however is the use of Gaz Gale as an example. Clearly he's turned out to be a very good player for us, however at the time he was coming to us from the amateur game. I'd love to see more players follow his footsteps, however if we were to announce the signing of someone from an amateur club now to boost the squad, I wonder how excited fans would be compared to when we announced the other three examples used. 

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

 

What stands out to me in the January signings however is the use of Gaz Gale as an example. Clearly he's turned out to be a very good player for us, however at the time he was coming to us from the amateur game. I'd love to see more players follow his footsteps, however if we were to announce the signing of someone from an amateur club now to boost the squad, I wonder how excited fans would be compared to when we announced the other three examples used. 

Yes, sometimes the relatively unheralded signings turn out better than the flashy ones. Josh Hardcastle was a similar one to Gaz Gale, and the likes of John Davies, James Harrison and Frankie Halton didn't really cause much of a stir at the time they were signed compared with, say, Ryan Verlinden, Etu Uaisele or the Boas brothers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes, sometimes the relatively unheralded signings turn out better than the flashy ones. Josh Hardcastle was a similar one to Gaz Gale, and the likes of John Davies, James Harrison and Frankie Halton didn't really cause much of a stir at the time they were signed compared with, say, Ryan Verlinden, Etu Uaisele or the Boas brothers.

Exactly. The "grow our own" system needs to balance with the big names signing approach, appreciating both where we want to get to and how the game has moved on from everyone having a team full of locals. 

If I'm honest, the cynic in me thinks we're destined to be 2nd best in the championship, because there is always going to be someone else who is full time, and far more resourced than we are. No conspiracy about how the rfl don't want us though. 

The optimist in me thinks this is actually a better opportunity than last year, as our biggest rivals on paper (Leigh) are far more likely to implode than Toulouse were last year. 

  • Like 2

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally updated the squad with numbers.

Backs:

1 Brandon Pickersgill NEW

2 Luke Briscoe  RETURNING

5 Gareth Gale

24 Jacob Doyle

3 Joey Leilua NEW

4 Craig Hall

18 Josh Hardcastle

Pivots:

6 Tom Holmes

7 Dane Chisholm

20 Morgan Smith NEW

25 Bayley Gill NEW

9 Connor Jones

14 Matty Wildie RETURNING

Forwards:

8 Craig Kopczak

10 James Lockwood

13 Jack Bussey

21 Luke Cooper

22 Kyle Trout RETURNING

23 Louie McConnell

11 Brett Ferres

12 Jesse Sene-Lefao NEW

15 John Davies

16 Junior Moors

17 Ben Hellewell RETURNING

19 Callum Field

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gazza77 said:

The optimist in me thinks this is actually a better opportunity than last year, as our biggest rivals on paper (Leigh) are far more likely to implode than Toulouse were last year. 

I think I agree with this, but there is also a chance that Leigh will be really strong if they get their act together. Their last 3 signings could all easily have signed for NRL clubs and they now have a very strong look about them. The issue at the moment looks depth - I think they only have announced about 20 players so far but presumably will have more to come and then will also be relying on their DR agreement with St Helens.

 

Also they have a new coaching set-up whereas Toulouse had a strong amount of continuity in that regard. As things stand, Leigh will be hoping they get lucky with Covid and injuries, but looking at their squad (and bearing in mind they are full time) they look to have spent far more than any other club.

That said, I think we have done a decent job on paper in mitigating our losses. Realistically though we were never going to be able to get like-for-like replacements (including age-wise) for Brown, Halton and Harrison, all of whom were outstanding players at this level, but we have done a pretty good job of plugging the gaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all this talk about¬†at least 1 more signing to come and joey coming¬† "Middle of this month" I¬† thought why didn't we wait to announce joey when he landed and put the cat amongst the pigeons¬†and get our rivals talking all things FEV¬† before the start of the season¬†ūü§£

As a footnote it's been mentioned an ex capper who played under BM is looking for a club

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Talking about produce your own players ie Gale and Hardcastle.My son bought me Back O't Wall History of Sharlston Rovers.Bit late i know it was printed in 2006. In the 1970/71 team i played against 11 players turned pro most went to Batley with Don Fox .They also had Frank Fox who had just retired.We had three signed by Fax who have Heritage numbers and another three who had trials and only played the odd game.And they were good enough to perform at Championship level.In fact Bruce Burton still holds the most goals in a match record 13 v Hunslet and he also scored a try.We need to get more players in the Amateur game but don't over coach them.Let them think for themselves and enjoy their Rugby win or lose.I would do it again tomorrow  if young enough best years of my life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, POR said:

With all this talk about¬†at least 1 more signing to come and joey coming¬† "Middle of this month" I¬† thought why didn't we wait to announce joey when he landed and put the cat amongst the pigeons¬†and get our rivals talking all things FEV¬† before the start of the season¬†ūü§£

 

News of Fev's interest in Leilua was reported in the Australian Daily Telegraph in mid-November and quickly republished over here, one can only imagine the reaction on this forum if our club had denied the reports or refused to comment on them week after week and was still refusing to confirm it now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

News of Fev's interest in Leilua was reported in the Australian Daily Telegraph in mid-November and quickly republished over here, one can only imagine the reaction on this forum if our club had denied the reports or refused to comment on them week after week and was still refusing to confirm it now!

Totally agree with you PH just suggesting  wouldn't it have been good and funny to hit our rivals with a bombshell of a marquee signing close to the start of the season 

Anyway talking about joey on Total rugby league news under Featherstone Rovers recruit Joey Leilua says he’ll be fighting fit after boxing win according to DOUG THOMSON 

Featherstone’s high-profile overseas recruit Joey Leilua is due to jet into the UK in the middle of this month after making a successful first foray into professional boxing.

The Samoa international, who has moved from Wests Tigers on a reported two-year deal, 

 

He believes preparing for his boxing bout has helped him refocus and predicts he will ‚Äúbe hitting the ground running‚ÄĚ when he starts training with the club.

‚ÄúIt has kind of reset me mentally for footy again and I can‚Äôt wait to get back out and enjoy my time over there and experience life in England,‚ÄĚ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Story on the club website now confirming our DR arrangement with Leeds. Centre Jack Broadbent, back row/centre Levi Edwards, and forward Sam Walters three players nominated as possible candidates for us. 

Glad the'ave named walters  PH but what I found most interesting was 

The partnership will also see Rovers players playing alongside Rhinos in a new reserve grade team

so with our lack of young inexperienced payers can't wait to see who makes that journey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only think of McConnell and Doyle. Seems like we may be  bending over backwards to help out the Rhinos , as I cant see the likes of Cooper, Trout, Hardcastle, Field and Gill etc being over the moon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...