Squad 2022

34 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Anyone know anything about him?

Has had injury issues in Aus, been playing for Mackay Cutters in the Intrust Super Cup (2nd tier) this year. Primarily a half back I think but has played hooker and centre this year so could be a handy utility player. My guess is he's a relatively cheap player who's being given an opportunity rather than necessarily being expected to be an immediate challenger for a starting role, and it's a long season with 1895 Cup etc likely to give opportunities.

Although there's still been no official confirmation that Blackmore has left (rumoured to have retired), he has been removed from the squad list on the official website along with all the other known leavers so there are currently just the 16 players listed on that page that we know have been retained from last year. So I think the entire squad from last year is now accounted for.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/mens/squad/

I can't for the life of me understand why we'ave fetched a lad half way round the world to sit behind three of the best in the championship If we wanted to go down the road of having four  why didn't we resign sweeting or spence?

I

2 hours ago, POR said:

I can't for the life of me understand why we'ave fetched a lad half way round the world to sit behind three of the best in the championship If we wanted to go down the road of having four  why didn't we resign sweeting or spence?

POR,

How do you know Bayley Gill will be behind the other three half backs, could Maca see Chizzy being our FB or could he be better than the half backs that we already have for example? Plus he has played centre and hooker as well, so who is to say that Maca doesn't see him playing in another position to half back? Either way he brings utility value at least if we have injuries. So let's see how he goes and give him our backing when he pulls on a Fev shirt.

PS There where a number of people questioning the signing of Nu Brown last year and his signing didn't turn out too badly for us.

Edited by The Grinder
  • Like 2

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

27 league games, plus the possibility of maybe four or five 1895 Cup/Challenge Cup games, means there will probably be even more need for squad rotation this year. They've presumably decided that Sweeting and Spence aren't quite going to reach the level required, or indeed those two may have opted simply for a move to a club where they have a much better chance at a regular starting spot, but either way it makes sense to have a look at a new young player, especially one who can fill in at more than one position.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

Give it till end of season before we judge any player can say all we want now but at end of it all gill might be another Conor Jones who was one of our best last year 

Worth pointing out that, like Jones, he has a British passport. He was born in this country whilst his dad Peter was playing for London Broncos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Worth pointing out that, like Jones, he has a British passport. He was born in this country whilst his dad Peter was playing for London Broncos.

Didn’t know Jones had one I thaught it was Carey who came over with an English passport 

Looks like its official

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-loan-dual-registration-22313837?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=

NOW whinos fan posted I expect to see Morgan Gannon Muizz Mustapha, Jack Broadbent, Jarrod O’Connor, Sam Walters, Liam Tindall, Levi Edwards and Corey Johnson to all play and stand out in the Championship for either Featherstone or Bradford.

15 minutes ago, POR said:

Looks like its official

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-loan-dual-registration-22313837?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=

NOW whinos fan posted I expect to see Morgan Gannon Muizz Mustapha, Jack Broadbent, Jarrod O’Connor, Sam Walters, Liam Tindall, Levi Edwards and Corey Johnson to all play and stand out in the Championship for either Featherstone or Bradford.

I wouldn't put any faith in the cobblers posted by the one calling him/herself "sir Kevin sinfield"!

That said, if we have signed up for DR again, then they are the players likely to be on the fringes of this year's Leeds team. That doesn't need a poor stirrer from Leeds to point thar out.

I'm no fan of DR. I've said this many times. No.point in covering old ground ad infinitum. However,  if we are having a partnership, it might as well be leeds

• Like 3

1 hour ago, POR said:

Looks like its official

I’d take muizz Walters gannon and oconnor as much as the others are good players do we really need more backs/pivots

32 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

I’d take muizz Walters gannon and oconnor as much as the others are good players do we really need more backs/pivots

Agree RF need some more grunt in the pack my choice would be gannon and walters  both well over six foot 

Aa Robin says not a fan of DR. and at the start of the season if all our players and fringe players are fit and raring to go do we have to bend over backwards to look after Whinos fringe players at the expense of our own players. NO NO. NO

IF we are starting to struggle as the season goes on with injuries then . that is the time to ask the Whinos if they have any spare players . Also dont they have to have a second team for these players to get match fit.

The whole thong is slanted in favour of SL team , and personally I think it stinks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, haskey said:

Aa Robin says not a fan of DR. and at the start of the season if all our players and fringe players are fit and raring to go do we have to bend over backwards to look after Whinos fringe players at the expense of our own players. NO NO. NO

IF we are starting to struggle as the season goes on with injuries then . that is the time to ask the Whinos if they have any spare players . Also dont they have to have a second team for these players to get match fit.

The whole thong is slanted in favour of SL team , and personally I think it stinks.

My take is slightly different. The players get on with it and as a Fan of fev, it doesn't feel quite like fev fielding DR players. If it means we got promotion using DR, I could reconcile that with the cost benefits etc. 

It's an all in or all out thing for me. If we use it, so will Leigh, fax, York etc and if we're going to use it we might as well go wi Leeds. I'd just prefer a reserves comp.... but I doubt the game can afford it now.

You say it's slanted towards SL.... on balance it probably is. But we got to a final two years ago using DR so we didn't do too badly using the system.

16 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My take is slightly different. The players get on with it and as a Fan of fev, it doesn't feel quite like fev fielding DR players. If it means we got promotion using DR, I could reconcile that with the cost benefits etc. 

It's an all in or all out thing for me. If we use it, so will Leigh, fax, York etc and if we're going to use it we might as well go wi Leeds. I'd just prefer a reserves comp.... but I doubt the game can afford it now.

You say it's slanted towards SL.... on balance it probably is. But we got to a final two years ago using DR so we didn't do too badly using the system.

Quite. None of us really like DR, but some of the frothing at the mouth on the general forum, whilst not especially surprising, is really lacking in logic.

For instance...when we first started using DR, we were told that it would tear the team spirit apart..."you'll be sorry" etc...then when we used it and enjoyed some success, we were told that we were only doing well BECAUSE we were using DR.

Similarly...there are people on the general forum saying things like it only benefits the SL clubs, yet literally in the same sentence saying it distorts the Championship...so presumably they think it does benefit some Championship clubs? The same people who are saying it only benefits SL clubs will be screaming if a Championship team using DR does well this year.

One more thing...regarding the "distorting the Championship" issue. There's no way that having young fringe players from SL teams distorts the Championship more than a couple of factors involving Toulouse last year, notably their being allowed not to participate in the Challenge Cup (and playing far few games than most teams), with the resulting fewer injuries. I didn't have an issue with that especially (though many on here did), but the people who think DR distorts the Championship really should have been kicking up a monumental fuss about it.

For me, rather than the usual "DR is a disgrace" whines, it would be better suggesting some meaningful changes, because it's clear clubs in both SL and Championship want to retain the system. For instance, none of us can really defend the likes of veterans Brett Delaney and Brad Singleton playing for us on DR (or Adrian Morley at Swinton, or Jarrod Sammut at London) so maybe have a limit of how many SL/NRL games a DR player can have played, or an age limit. And maybe lower the numbers per game (currently 5 DR/loan combined I believe with 4 maximum DRs).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I wouldn't put any faith in the cobblers posted by the one calling him/herself "sir Kevin sinfield"!

That said, if we have signed up for DR again, then they are the players likely to be on the fringes of this year's Leeds team. That doesn't need a poor stirrer from Leeds to point thar out.

I'm no fan of DR. I've said this many times. No.point in covering old ground ad infinitum. However,  if we are having a partnership, it might as well be leeds

I told him he's a disgrace to the user name Sir K S. NEVER has a good word to say about Fev.