Rugby League Challenge Cup

Are we really sure we want the final played in July in that heat?  I was there, as a Fev fan, but the second half of the Saints Cas game was spoiled by all the stoppages.  Mainly caused by the temperature on the pitch.  We came out about five minutes before the end.  We'd had enough.  Rugby was designed to be played in winter,  but ok it can be played in summer, but not in the hottest part of a hot July afternoon.  I reckon early September would be more acceptable.  Of course next year there'll now be the postponed World Cup, which will clash with the soccer version.  But for me if we must play in July surely the evening would be more conducive to attractive football.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

21 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Are we really sure we want the final played in July in that heat?  I was there, as a Fev fan, but the second half of the Saints Cas game was spoiled by all the stoppages.  Mainly caused by the temperature on the pitch.  We came out about five minutes before the end.  We'd had enough.  Rugby was designed to be played in winter,  but ok it can be played in summer, but not in the hottest part of a hot July afternoon.  I reckon early September would be more acceptable.  Of course next year there'll now be the postponed World Cup, which will clash with the soccer version.  But for me if we must play in July surely the evening would be more conducive to attractive football.

There was mention a few weeks back in an article that suggested the CC Final will be moving back to May so this year's could be the only July final we will see. Even if the CC Final was an evening kick off in July, the 1895 Cup Final would be played during the afternoon heat, so if it stays in July one game or the other will be in the afternoon heat.

29 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Are we really sure we want the final played in July in that heat?  I was there, as a Fev fan, but the second half of the Saints Cas game was spoiled by all the stoppages.  Mainly caused by the temperature on the pitch.

It's not always hot in July.

It can be hot in May. Or even April.

Just one of the many vagaries of the London climate.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

It's not always hot in July.

It can be hot in May. Or even April.

Just one of the many vagaries of the London climate.

The odds are though that mid July is the hottest time of year in the UK

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Heat? 

I've just been to Malta - that was hot 

Big jessies

Malta? - I remember we had a 1 week hosepipe ban in 1976 and we had to water the garden after dark so you wernt seen... that was heat!

Archived