Batley v Dewsbury pink weekend

Batley Bob

Well done to the team today . It's a funny old game.The RAMS tried hard to lose at times.I want to see  again some of the refs decisions. Did  sam head butt somebody. Good defence,should have scored 50. No doubt LEE will give PAUL and LIAM another two years after that- o dear.

Yes one of your players did, he came behind the tacklers and stuck it on. If you were stood down at the bottom end of the ground you would miss it, you will have to wait and see what the disciplinary body make of it.

You are right some strange decisions given today, but without a ref no game.

No complaints tbh, thought the first sin bin a bit soft, but the sending off a clear headbutt that Thaler spotted straight away and was on his way in when the Batley player reacted. Possibly the best Derby game for a few years tbh but I suppose it is your cup final 😚

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, silcoates said:

Well done to the team today . It's a funny old game.The RAMS tried hard to lose at times.I want to see  again some of the refs decisions. Did  sam head butt somebody. Good defence,should have scored 50. No doubt LEE will give PAUL and LIAM another two years after that- o dear.

Next week is Liam's last pro RL match. I hope that the club give him a good send off.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

No complaints at all today, not even about the ref. I've noticed that any SL ref who does a championship game always does more reffing, he was clear in every signal, when I was close enough to an incident he gave full explanation of what and why. Rams outplayed us all over, out-tackled, out-thought and more importantly out-fought us. BTW I thought Speakman was unlucky as it was more a clash of heads rather than a purposeful nut. However, you didn't need 13 on the field all the time today! We need to be asking how we let 2 halves at 78 years old between em run the game and where our tackling department went for most of the game.

Finn had another fine game again, this time with a try to his name (and almost a second one too) and it was he who I think controlled the game. I thought it was Finny’s high kick to the corner that got us the best try of the match, but on seeing the highlights, it was Fleming’s kick. Once again Andy Gabriel was on hand to reach up for the ball, but on this occasion to palm it down to Ryder for him to t ouch the ball down. We seemed determined to get things right and the sin binning and dismissal didn’t seem to put off our determination to beat our old enemy. 

For those who didn’t go to the match, be it because they didn’t want to see another drubbing, chose not to because they were dismayed with our lack-lustre performances, or through holiday commitments, missed what turned out to be a far better quality derby game than we have seen for some years.

I couldn’t comment on Sam Day’s uncharacteristic moment as I was too far away to see just what happened. 

Mention above has been made of some refereeing decisions and here I have to ask why he gave Batley so many set restarts, which did not seem merited, yet only gave us a couple? If Magrin had to be sin binned, why not Brown in the second half (I think it was he) for leading with the elbow?

In conclusion I should say that, in my opinion, the final score did not reflect our superiority in the match. Well done, also to Paul Sykes, who in this game, amassed his 2,500th career point (2501) and what better match to do it, than against Batley.  I too, hope we give Finny a fine send off to his career next week and hope, for once, we can do it in style for him.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

3 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Finn had another fine game again, this time with a try to his name (and almost a second one too) and it was he who I think controlled the game. I am sure it was Finny’s high kick to the corner that got us the best try of the match. Once again Andy Gabriel was on hand to reach up for the ball, but on this occasion to palm it down to Ryder for him to t ouch the ball down. We seemed determined to get things right and the sin binning and dismissal didn’t seem to put off our determination to beat our old enemy. 

For those who didn’t go to the match, be it because they didn’t want to see another drubbing, chose not to because they were dismayed with our lack-lustre performances, or through holiday commitments, missed what turned out to be a far better quality derby game than we have seen for some years.

I couldn’t comment on Sam Day’s uncharacteristic moment as I was too far away to see just what happened. 

Mention above has been made of some refereeing decisions and here I have to ask why he gave Batley so many set restarts, which did not seem merited, yet only gave us a couple? If Magrin had to be sin binned, why not Brown in the second half (I think it was he) for leading with the elbow?

In conclusion I should say that, in my opinion, the final score did not reflect our superiority in the match. Well done, also to Paul Sykes, who in this game, amassed his 2,500th career point (2501) and what better match to do it, than against Batley.  I too, hope we give Finny a fine send off to his career next week and hope, for once, we can do it in style for him.

I was one of those who didn't go as I was expecting another lacklustre performance and another drubbing and have seen too many of those home and away this season. I thought with the players  we had we could have been a solid mid-table side this season, rather than relegation contenders. But I'll be there Sunday to hopefully continue the winning run against Oldham. I will wait to see the full match replay but it sounds like we played some rugby and went out to win the game rather than trying not to lose it. And glad we're kicking to corners as in Gabriel we've got one of the best catchers in the business.

Apologies to Dom Speakman! Stood next to Sam Day when he'd changed and came back out to watch. From my view of it he was unlucky, I didn't think he'd shot in just to butt somebody; he seemed to grab Jack's shirt and stumbled and made contact unintentionally. In fact I thought it was Knowles getting the red at first.

Having watched the full game just a few thoughts. 

Great defensive effort from the Rams, but that's been the case for most of the season. Garratt was immense and Robson Stevens put in a massive shift. Our attack was hit and miss whereas Batley's attack was a lot more fluent.

Ben Thaler seems quite excitable as a referee. Not sure Margin was actually guilty of a tip tackle and how did Brown stay on for leading with his forearm?  Think Sam Days red card was very harsh, but showed a lot more variety with the ball, a big change from 5 drives and a kick.

Archived