Sheffield (A)

Wakefield Ram

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Pretty well a full-strength Sheffield line up whilst ours continues to be weakened.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Where’s Will Oakes?

I believe that he was Covid affected, as were Carr and Ryder. I don't know how long this prevents them from training/playing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I got my prediction all wrong! 😀

The game started some twenty minutes late as the Doncaster v Coventry match overran by nearly half an hour. Smith scored our first try after a good move by himself. He had just replaced Dean, who I understand was injured, but I noticed none of the exchange or heard an announcement. That was it for us in the first half, suffice it to say that we had about five chances to score without managing to do so. Sheffield of course went on to score two converted tries and a penalty goal. Worrincy should (or a team mate, had he passed) should have scored after a typical run of his, but with a couple of players backing up he tried to round Martin, who tackled him into touch as Worrincy released the ball along the ground.

The second period was even for the first five minutes or so, bur Sheffield looked likely to score with their crisp passing and strong running, but their attacks fizzled out each time, whereas we struggled to get to the halfway line with our one man barging tactics.

The next try from Tomlinson was a good run by him, into a gap, probably created by Finn’s deft pass. Ten minutes later, Schofield ran straight at the line from another Finn pass and I believe that score was the turning point of the game. We could have had a couple more too, if only…

The highlight of the match was Andy Gabriel’s leap and to catch Thackeray’s cross kick, then race the full distance to touch down, by then, at a canter under the posts, after stepping out of two attempted tackles. Finn converted all our tries, but oddly, missed an easy penalty.

Of course it wouldn’t be Sheffield without our former winger, Rob Worrincy scoring for them right at the death.

One sour note of the day’s experience was that the Doncaster staff told me it was not a double header and if I wished to watch both matches I would have to pay twice (from different sales booths) and leave after the first match, to re-enter for tour game; I declined their offer! Daft thing was, after getting to the stand, I found I could have watched both for the one price of £15 instead of the inflated match day charge by Sheffield.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I got my prediction all wrong! 😀

The game started some twenty minutes late as the Doncaster v Coventry match overran by nearly half an hour. Smith scored our first try after a good move by himself. He had just replaced Dean, who I understand was injured, but I noticed none of the exchange or heard an announcement. That was it for us in the first half, suffice it to say that we had about five chances to score without managing to do so. Sheffield of course went on to score two converted tries and a penalty goal. Worrincy should (or a team mate, had he passed) should have scored after a typical run of his, but with a couple of players backing up he tried to round Martin, who tackled him into touch as Worrincy released the ball along the ground.

The second period was even for the first five minutes or so, bur Sheffield looked likely to score with their crisp passing and strong running, but their attacks fizzled out each time, whereas we struggled to get to the halfway line with our one man barging tactics.

The next try from Tomlinson was a good run by him, into a gap, probably created by Finn’s deft pass. Ten minutes later, Schofield ran straight at the line from another Finn pass and I believe that score was the turning point of the game. We could have had a couple more too, if only…

The highlight of the match was Andy Gabriel’s leap and to catch Thackeray’s cross kick, then race the full distance to touch down, by then, at a canter under the posts, after stepping out of two attempted tackles. Finn converted all our tries, but oddly, missed an easy penalty.

Of course it wouldn’t be Sheffield without our former winger, Rob Worrincy scoring for them right at the death.

One sour note of the day’s experience was that the Doncaster staff told me it was not a double header and if I wished to watch both matches I would have to pay twice (from different sales booths) and leave after the first match, to re-enter for tour game; I declined their offer! Daft thing was, after getting to the stand, I found I could have watched both for the one price of £15 instead of the inflated match day charge by Sheffield.

Sheffield couldn't run a bath🤔 nevermind a oil slick operation🤣

Noticed the scrap price is down this morning, double whammy for the caravaners🤔

Sheffield's poor form might be down to burning the horse & cart at both ends at Appleby🤔

😜😜😜

10 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Highlights here.

How did Izaac Farrell not get sent off for that tip tackle?

Not sure where the tackle in the air was on Worrincy. Though glad we tested him out. 

Sheffields body language looked terrible, doesn't look like a very happy team. 

Mark Aston: Sheffield Eagles boss vows to ‘cleanse’ club’s ‘toxic’ environment | The Star

Cash-flow problems - does this mean the players aren't getting paid? That won't help morale, will it?

Just watched the game on youtube and the first thing to say is Sheffield need a new cameraman. Joking aside it was clear the team played for each other. Finn roled back the years and clearly ran the show. Thackerey played a bit part in comparison. I felt sorry for Dean with his injury but he is only 19 and will bulk up which hopefully will prevent further issues. Smith came on (not selected friday, 18th man on saturday and on the bench sunday) and scored within 30 seconds. potentially could have scored 3 with a bit of luck. 

Great to see Knowles talking to the young forwards throughout the game. Rhe will learn so much from him. 

All round a team performance and well deserved.

Controversial question time....Would Sykes have improved that performance? My opinion.....No. 

10 out of 10 for the defensive effort. But an error and penalty-ridden performance from both sides.

Great effort from Schofield, Stevens, Beckett, Margin and Smith. Hard to understand how little **** Farrell didn't get at least a yellow card for his tip tackle on Gabriel. The only decision was yellow or red. 

Some pretty soft tries for both sides but thankfully we got the win. 

On a side note, I remember Joel Farrell playing a great game for Dewsbury v Warrington in a Challenge Cup and I thought he was destined for SL. But he seems to have settled for being a mediocre, niggling Championship player. A waste of a talent and little **** brother going the same way, surprising given their dad wasn't like that. But he was a SL player and neither of them will ever be.

18 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

Just watched the game on youtube and the first thing to say is Sheffield need a new cameraman. Joking aside it was clear the team played for each other. Finn roled back the years and clearly ran the show. Thackerey played a bit part in comparison. I felt sorry for Dean with his injury but he is only 19 and will bulk up which hopefully will prevent further issues. Smith came on (not selected friday, 18th man on saturday and on the bench sunday) and scored within 30 seconds. potentially could have scored 3 with a bit of luck. 

Great to see Knowles talking to the young forwards throughout the game. Rhe will learn so much from him. 

All round a team performance and well deserved.

Controversial question time....Would Sykes have improved that performance? My opinion.....No. 

No for me 

Nobody has a god given right to play, don't change a winning team that gave their all 🥇🥇🤔

Archived