Hull KR Friday 21st 7.30pm

Wakefield Ram

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Hopefully another decent crowd, I'm looking forward to a floodlit match and expect Tomlinson and Ferguson to be playing. 

Maybe even Beharrell will turn out against his old club?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Hull KR 26 Man Squad for Friday

Brad Takairangi

Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Ryan Hall

Jordan Abdull

Albert Vete

Kane Linnet

Matty Storton

Jez Litten

Luis Johnson

Korbin Sims

Jimmy Keinhorst

Mikey Lewis

Rowan Milnes

Will Maher

Sam Wood

Greg Richards

Tom Garratt

Will Tate

Phoenix Laulu-Togaga’e

Charlie Cavanaugh

Connor Moore

Dan Okoro

Max Kirkbright

Bailey Dawson

Tom Wilkinson

Adam Rusling

Unlike a good number of fans, the floodlit game is not my cup of tea, but I hope to be there.

Some of those players named above are the youngsters Smith is considering trying in the match, but I think he will parade a strong set of players.

As usual, I have no idea who LG will select, but let’s see how my line up compares with the real thing (I didn’t get near with last week’s selection).

1 Jake Sweeting

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Adam Ryder

4  Davey  Dixon

5 Lewis Carr

6 Alex Smith

7 Matty Beharrell 

8 Harry Kidd

9 Reiss Butterworth 

10 Jimmy Beckett

11 Jason Walton

12 Michael Knowles

13 Chris Annakin

14 Dom Speakman

15 Keenen Tomlinson 

16 Jordan Schofield 

17  Ross Peltier

18 Ollie Greensmith

Dale Ferguson

Jon Magrin

I think we need to have as many of those who would be regarded as regular players on the field, in readiness for the first league encounter on the 30th. I feel Ferguson, Magrin and Tomlinson will be given some game time for that purpose.  

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Can anyone confirm that the South Stand is open tonight?   Doesn't say it is but you never know with Dewsbury.....

If it’s anything to go by, when we played The Giants the website told us that the SS was closed, but as it says nothing to that effect for tonight, then I am assuming it will be open. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Thought it was another good performance against a very strong Hull KR team. Hull looked very quick and sharp and think they will be play off contenders this season. 

Defence was impressive and we certainly showed some ideas on attack. Beharrel looks a very good player, so likely between Smith and Sweeting for the other spot.k

Looking forward to Bradford match and hopefully a better season.

11 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Thought it was another good performance against a very strong Hull KR team. Hull looked very quick and sharp and think they will be play off contenders this season. 

Defence was impressive and we certainly showed some ideas on attack. Beharrel looks a very good player, so likely between Smith and Sweeting for the other spot.k

Looking forward to Bradford match and hopefully a better season.

Agree 100% on the defence.  Despite the final scoreline I thought defence looked to have picked up form last year.  
Can’t agree on half backs though.   Thought we improved considerably when a certain 40 year old came on😀.   That can’t be good.  
Forwards look better mind and Tomlinson looked sharp with a couple of decent offloads.  
One thing we can put to bed though is that our pitch is too narrow for expansive rugby.  We saw that if you have the players and the inclination you can play as much open rugby as you want.   Hull KR were electric with the ball.  
Great friendly for beer takings too.  South stand bar must have sold gallons😀

A tough couple of friendlies but totally necessary for match fitness ahead of the Bulls game. Having watched both games it pretty clear that there has been a lot of work on defence during pre-season. Nuce to see options at fullback, halfback and hooker being used too. I am sure Lee knows his starting lineup for the season opener now and must be pleased to have choices in key positions! Halfbacks (whichever combination) have done well considering the pressure they have been under from Superleague players, limiting thier options in attack and the amount of defending they have had to do...they must have been knackered after the last two games. There has been enough on view over the last couple of games to give me a lot of confidence in this young squad. Settled combinations over the coming weeks will reap benefits as they get used to playing styles etc. l think with scrums being reintroduced and freeing up more space, we will see the backline come on strong this year. we have a powerful pack and pace and strength in the backline....whats not to be positive about 😀

Coolie suggested last week that Huddersfield were likely relegation candidates and if last night’s fast, expansive and quality rugby from HKR was anything to go by, then he could well be right. The two clubs play each other next week which might bear out those thoughts.
Our defence: not sure yet that I have seen any improvement; we still cannot stop players offloading in the tackle, nor do we stop a player by wrapping arms around legs, plus we still leave gaps out wide.

On attack I think we look to have some better ideas than last year, certainly by watching our second half performance. Yet to tell if it’s the new half back pairing or with the help of player no. 40. I am pleased for Schofield as he seems to have continued his good work from last year and he was just in the right position for his touchdown amid a mêlée of bodies. HKR should be embarrassed by Kidd’s try.

Hull Kingston Rovers were really entertaining with their hard, fast running, whereas ours seemed to be, at times, ponderous, which is probably unfair; it’s just that there’s such a big contrast with full time players versus those who have day jobs and then train when they can. Whilst Rivers scored some good tries, I think a couple should have not been allowed as I am sure Wood knocked on picking up the ball and the next try, Hall’s, started with a typical SL forward pass on the South Stand side side. All tries were given as conversions, but I would question two of those by the Rovers.

It did feel good to have a healthy attendance last night, that being rather different to last week, but I suppose our ground is a long way for Huddersfield fans to have to travel.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

I wasn't unhappy with our performance against a good HKR side last night and think that LG will have a difficult job in selecting his 17 for the Bradford game. The forwards acquitted themselves well and I thought that our starting front row looked very forceful. Our second row is equally strong and Jordan Schofield continues to improve and impress.

Judging the backs from these sort of games is very difficult seeing as we had a fairly limited share of possession. However I felt that Beharrell and Smith looked a decent combination and will be worth persevering with, although Sweeting has been pretty impressive too so LG will probably mix and match to find his best combination. Paul Sykes has done a great job for the club over the years but we have to be looking forward, not back; I also felt that any improvements that some thought they saw after his introduction may have been due to HKR relaxing rather than anything else.

We have a very promising full back and in the threequarters will be quite a competition for places. We will only be able to judge properly when we see the team up against Championship opposition rather than SL

At the moment every Championship club is confidently predicting a significant improvement in fortunes in 2022. How it will pan out is tricky to predict so I would say that I am hopeful rather than expectant for our prospects through the year.

Bring on the Bulls!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Bradford will be the test,as to where the team isThe Rams must be competitive,at least at home.Home form last season was dreadful,lots of thrashings.Our attack must improve.The two games they tackled well,but still got a heavy beating,yes ok against sl teams.We've got two very good very good wingers,but they must have been cold.

15 hours ago, silcoates said:

Bradford will be the test,as to where the team isThe Rams must be competitive,at least at home.Home form last season was dreadful,lots of thrashings.Our attack must improve.The two games they tackled well,but still got a heavy beating,yes ok against sl teams.We've got two very good very good wingers,but they must have been cold.

Home form was rubbish in the early 90's too and possibly just as relevant. We are looking at a restructured team with plenty of potential.

Onwards and upwards.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Home form was rubbish in the early 90's too and possibly just as relevant. We are looking at a restructured team with plenty of potential.

Onwards and upwards.

It is supposed be and entertainment.There is so much more choice now .If the team have another season like last, people will stop coming and they won't come back.

Archived