Inside the 10

36 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Just by be inside the 10 you influence what the opposition players do. 

Exactly as a fullback receiving the ball I don’t know whether the footsteps charging at me are offside or not. Plus the player has two chances he can stay onside but even if he doesn’t he can then stay outside the ten. If he can’t do either of these why should he not give a penalty away. 

There's a case for that when the offside player is plainly not interfering with play i.e. standing still or moving away from the play. I've seen tries disallowed in those circumstances and it's not great. An offside player at a PTB isn't penalised if they don't try to get involved with the play after all.

6 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

There's a case for that when the offside player is plainly not interfering with play i.e. standing still or moving away from the play. I've seen tries disallowed in those circumstances and it's not great. An offside player at a PTB isn't penalised if they don't try to get involved with the play after all.

well as a defender you have to assess that is the case, that split second distraction may often be enough to prevent you focusing/reacting fully on the key play

43 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well as a defender you have to assess that is the case, that split second distraction may often be enough to prevent you focusing/reacting fully on the key play

Appreciate that, but in these cases I'd prefer to go with the option that results in a try given, rather than disallowed for something as marginal as that.

31 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

Appreciate that, but in these cases I'd prefer to go with the option that results in a try given, rather than disallowed for something as marginal as that.

It was only a bit forward,

it was only a little fumble,

Was only a bit in touch

Where would it end?

Well we saw Wire get a try yesterday despite a little fumble!

You could ask how accurate the measurement of being inside the 10 from a kick is anyway, if you want to go that far. Was he inside the 10? Was he 9.95m away, is that OK?

Easier to say if a player was clearly not attempting to be involved.

17 hours ago, Human Punk said:

Well we saw Wire get a try yesterday despite a little fumble!

You could ask how accurate the measurement of being inside the 10 from a kick is anyway, if you want to go that far. Was he inside the 10? Was he 9.95m away, is that OK?

Easier to say if a player was clearly not attempting to be involved.

Define getting involved or not attempting to be involved if that helps

Archived