RLWC Ticket Upgrades

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Maybe not, I suppose we don't need another big, stiff, golden c*ck in RL, enough of them on the SL Board already. Surprised you didn't comment on the fact I basically said I love c*ck. 

As you well know, I court a fine line on here between meaningful poster and provocateur. You just completed my work for me 😄 

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

It is always a bit irritating to buy something at 'face value' and then see it discounted shortly afterwards.  In my case, I signed up for Premier Sports at £120 for a year, because I thought the combination of championship RL, plus NHL, plus GAA made it good value for me.  If I had waited a short while I could have got the £80 offer which is still available.  Hey. ho!  Yet if I thought £120 was worthwhile for me, then I suppose it still is.  And for now, I don't have to pay any more.  When I review it, it will be in the context of the then cost of living vis-a-vis the WWD domestic necessities budget.

Premier are actually paying me £5 per month to have it. Promo code NIGELWOOD

You were too keen should have held out. This is RL after all 🙂 

I think the RLWC marketing and team have been brilliant and so fair enough if this is a 48 hour thing mainly just to get people talking. However, the lack of ambition in grounds and Northern towns could really could back to bite us.

Once Anfield became unavailable we should have switched a quarter final to Plough Lane. New ground, link to Broncos etc and the chance to sell triple-headers with the Emirates and Cooper Box games.

Having three games at Doncaster for example is a huge ask and you are selling to the same market so we should have also tried to take a game to the south west. Again that would have been something extra to talk about.

Hard to generate interest and create stories without England games and to the same audience so we needed to have created new markets once the tournament was postponed.

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just been looking at a few twitter accounts of football teams who's stadiums we'll be visiting and noticed a few have tweeted about 200 days to go and also this ticket offer, including Newcastle to their 2,000,000 followers and Arsenal to their 19,000,000 followers. Nice bit of publicity there! 

50k+ in at Newcastle for a non-Aus/NZ opener gets me pretty excited I'm not going to lie. England have a genuine chance of losing that game too.

Remember all the times we thought people would only attend an Eng-Aus opener and even manufactured some WC draws to create it?

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

50k+ in at Newcastle for a non-Aus/NZ opener gets me pretty excited I'm not going to lie. England have a genuine chance of losing that game too.

Remember all the times we thought people would only attend an Eng-Aus opener and even manufactured some WC draws to create it?

Certainly gets me pumped as well. I've felt very excited about this game from the moment it was announced. I've felt from the start like this could be something special. As you say there is a distinct possibility we could lose it. Its certainly gonna be a bloody game game no matter what. 

When the first schedule was announced it was on the same day as the group game in Hull but I was going to go to the Newcastle game over my hometown game because of how excited I am for the opener. Thankfully with the rescheduling I can go to both now which is great cos I would like to see Jamaica play. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Certainly gets me pumped as well. I've felt very excited about this game from the moment it was announced. I've felt from the start like this could be something special. As you say there is a distinct possibility we could lose it. Its certainly gonna be a bloody game game no matter what. 

When the first schedule was announced it was on the same day as the group game in Hull but I was going to go to the Newcastle game over my hometown game because of how excited I am for the opener. Thankfully with the rescheduling I can go to both now which is great cos I would like to see Jamaica play. 

Reece Lyne having Stephen Crichton in his pocket will be worth the admission fee alone!

51 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, I'll save my wrath for, "Book hospitality and get a free England shirt".

As actually happened for a recent Challenge Cup final.

I loved the free beanie you got with ticket sales for 2013. Disappointed not to see a repeat of that one. 

32 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

we should have switched a quarter final to Plough Lane

Capacity: 9,215.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Capacity: 9,215.

Loftus Road then. Plough Lane should have got a group game at the least when we got pushed back a year.

The point is we lost Liverpool as a big city selling point for existing RL fans and the chance to sell to a new audience - we should have shifted that focus to a new or less oversubscribed area.

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

Loftus Road then. Plough Lane should have got a group game at the least when we got pushed back a year.

The point is we lost Liverpool as a big city selling point for existing RL fans and the chance to sell to a new audience - we should have shifted that focus to a new or less oversubscribed area.

Plough Lane would have been great for a Women's fixture and probably would have sold out

Just now, theswanmcr said:

But not possible to do given we appear to have an agreement with the government about how many games could be played outside the north of England.

And, given how dependent we are on statutory funding (Sport England etc), I'd rather not be rocking that boat just to play at QPR again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I loved the free beanie you got with ticket sales for 2013. Disappointed not to see a repeat of that one. 

I think it was one of the NZ series a few years back I got a free scarf for being one of the first 100 people to buy tickets or something like that. The scarf is hanging over the back of the airchair I'm sat in now. 

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But not possible to do given we appear to have an agreement with the government about how many games could be played outside the north of England.

And, given how dependent we are on statutory funding (Sport England etc), I'd rather not be rocking that boat just to play at QPR again.

I think it was that we had to play 75% of the mens games within the Northern Powerhouse. So 7 games outside of that area would be about right. 

58 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Having three games at Doncaster for example is a huge ask and you are selling to the same market so we should have also tried to take a game to the south west. Again that would have been something extra to talk about.

UEFA have to sell 8 games across Sheffield and Rotherham for the Women's Euros, with no home nations involved. That'll be tough.

Remember when the MPs of Wigan moaned when the DW didn't get a game originally?

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The so called 'Northern Powerhouse' funding was for a minimum 80% of games in the heartlands. We are way over this figure and so could easily have had more games elsewhere.

I guess the main reason we didn't is probably that those areas didn't come forward in the bidding process.

37 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

We aren´t football, we have to sell it to others first. 

How do you think Magic Weekend came into being?

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Cardiff offered us but again that was a fluke, be pro active. 

How was it a fluke?

People need to get over the number of games in the North. 

There is enough ambition there and there is plenty of opportunity for growth. If we get decent crowds in places like Newcastle, Middlesborough, Sheffield, London, plus fill our regular grounds then it will be a very very good World Cup. 

Am I missing something (quite possible)? My email invited me to enter a competition (as a foundation fan) with the chance for ten people to have their tickets upgraded. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because it clearly hasn´t happened again so it´s the RFL´s job to promote their own events. 

What do you mean it hasn't happened again? 

Magic has been to various grounds, as have Internationals. And this world cup is going to new grounds. 

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Am I missing something (quite possible)? My email invited me to enter a competition (as a foundation fan) with the chance for ten people to have their tickets upgraded. 

If you've already bought tickets, maybe they aren't sending you an email about something that may pee you off. 

Seems a smart move if that is the reason. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you've already bought tickets, maybe they aren't sending you an email about something that may pee you off. 

Seems a smart move if that is the reason. 

A deeply cynical move more like.

So they email me advertising free upgrades for others for tickets I've already bought, yet they don't email me to offer the chance to upgrade those same tickets myself. 

And breathe...

Archived