Championship & L1 2022 mid-season pickups

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Matt Shaw reporting this morning that Rob Mulhern, Jack Hughes and Matt Davis are all on their way from Wire so with those and Charnley, we're definitely benefiting from Powell's dismantling of what was a top 5 team.

Plenty of SL experience there but still young enough to do a job , keep everybody fit and a decent squad being put together 

Matt Shaw reporting this morning that Rob Mulhern, Jack Hughes and Matt Davis are all on their way from Wire so with those and Charnley, we're definitely benefiting from Powell's dismantling of what was a top 5 team.

Pretty sure they are for next season. More concerned about the depth of options in the pack this season. We seem to be able to rotate our wingers game to game, but not our props.

Just now, phiggins said:

Pretty sure they are for next season. More concerned about the depth of options in the pack this season. We seem to be able to rotate our wingers game to game, but not our props.

I think Sidlow has been being rested/managed rather than injured as he played a lot of minutes earlier in the year. The Amone injury isn't ideal but judging from the pictures on the club twitter feed today of players in the community, Amone had no brace or strapping on so hopefully it isn't a bad one. Chris Green should also be back any week now which is going to feel like a new signing considering how long he's been out.

With players like Inu, Ferguson and MacDonald taking big carries, it takes a lot of pressure off the front row, i think we'll be fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do we want 2022 non performers?

2022 Warrington form should not be seen as the ultimate judge on players abilities, something clearly not currently right at that club. All those players were heavily involved in 2021 when Wire finished 3rd.

21 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

2022 Warrington form should not be seen as the ultimate judge on players abilities, something clearly not currently right at that club. All those players were heavily involved in 2021 when Wire finished 3rd.

Should add to the intrigue about whether Powell’s man management at Warrington is correct especially if they perform well next season

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Based on who is confirmed so far for next year along with the rumored signings and probable/possible retentions, this is our current potential 17 for next year, although there will obviously more to be announced even if all these sign.

** - Quota

() - not confirmed

1 (Caleb Aekins**)
2 Josh Charnley
3 Ed Chamberlain
4 Nene MacDonald**
5 Keanan Brand
6 Joe Mellor/Ben Reynolds 
7 Lachlan Lam**
8 (Adam Sidlow)
9 (Aaron Smith)
10 (Tom Amone**)
11 Joe Wardle
12 (Jack Hughes)
13 John Asiata**

14 Edwin Ipape**
15 (Matt Davis)
16 (Kai O'Donnell**)
17 (Rob Mulhern)

Not sure if Ferguson will stay next year as one of the 7 so left him out, if he does stay i'd imagine he'd take Caleb Aekins quota spot. Out of the rest of our current overseas, i would expect(and would prefer) we would keep Kai O'Donnell as he adds a massive amount of utility and can competently play anywhere 8-13 even if his best position is probably back row. I'd be surprised if Adam Sidlow wasn't given another 1 year deal considering British props are at a bit of a premium currently, and Chris Green is capable and will be looking to earn himself another year once he finally returns from injury this year.

does aekins count on the quota.he is in the wales squad for the world cup.his mum is welsh i think

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

I meant for next year 

58 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think Sidlow has been being rested/managed rather than injured as he played a lot of minutes earlier in the year. The Amone injury isn't ideal but judging from the pictures on the club twitter feed today of players in the community, Amone had no brace or strapping on so hopefully it isn't a bad one. Chris Green should also be back any week now which is going to feel like a new signing considering how long he's been out.

With players like Inu, Ferguson and MacDonald taking big carries, it takes a lot of pressure off the front row, i think we'll be fine.

Inu has to be my player of the season , he's started coming inside , picking out the opposition's biggest prop , walking straight over the top of them , then getting up after the tackle and ' smiling ' his way back to the wing 😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, leytherz said:

does aekins count on the quota.he is in the wales squad for the world cup.his mum is welsh i think

The quota has been streamlined that it is purely down to whether or not they are NFT (non-federation trained), to count as Federation trained, they have to have played at a member club for 3 years(i think) prior to their 21st birthday, so to answer your question yes Aekins would count on the quota.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Inu has to be my player of the season , he's started coming inside , picking out the opposition's biggest prop , walking straight over the top of them , then getting up after the tackle and ' smiling ' his way back to the wing 😂

He's been worth it for that tackle on John Davies alone in the home league game against Fev. Absolute monster of a hit.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

He's been worth it for that tackle on John Davies alone in the home league game against Fev. Absolute monster of a hit.

Yes Rob , but he's doing it with the ball as well 😂 , he's so laid back he's almost horizontal , 

59 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Correct , these aren't the type of fringe players you usually see promoted teams getting , these are seasoned pro's at a quality club , and in the younger 2 just coming of ' age ' for their positions 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Should add to the intrigue about whether Powell’s man management at Warrington is correct especially if they perform well next season

There should be no reason why they can't get back to those levels of performances next year. I think regardless of whether Powell is or isn't a good man manager, different types of player flourish under different types of coach/environment and all coaches tend to have their favourites. Moving from a pressure cooker environment at Wire to one that's riding an upward wave in Leigh should give them some confidence back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Correct , these aren't the type of fringe players you usually see promoted teams getting , these are seasoned pro's at a quality club , and in the younger 2 just coming of ' age ' for their positions 

It gives me a lot of confidence that IF we are promoted this year(i'm taking nothing for granted), then for the first time in a long time we aren't going to be relying entirely on picking the bones of the relegated club or other basement dwellers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

There should be no reason why they can't get back to those levels of performances next year. I think regardless of whether Powell is or isn't a good man manager, different types of player flourish under different types of coach/environment and all coaches tend to have their favourites. Moving from a pressure cooker environment at Wire to one that's riding an upward wave in Leigh should give them some confidence back. 

I don’t disagree about different players under different coaches etc but you have to agree that Powell seems to have fallen out with more players in a short period of time than any other high profile coach in recent times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I don’t disagree about different players under different coaches etc but you have to agree that Powell seems to have fallen out with more players in a short period of time than any other high profile coach in recent times

For sure, something has looked very wrong at Warrington this year and they've gone backwards in pretty much every department. Whether or not they can emulate the 2nd season bounce that Hudds have enjoyed now Watson is settled with his players is the big question.

For me, Powell has spent so long being one of those coaches being constantly linked with jobs at top teams that it's weird to think he's now the oldest coach in SL. Barring the odd anomaly like Wayne Bennett or Time Sheens, RL coaching has always seem to be a young(er) mans game compared to sports like football and even Cas had been graduallyfalling away in the last years of his tenure after the dizzy heights of 2017. It seems risky to give a coach of his age such a blank canvas and they'd have been better off going for a younger coach if they wanted to do such an extreme reset.

• Like 1

For sure, something has looked very wrong at Warrington this year and they've gone backwards in pretty much every department. Whether or not they can emulate the 2nd season bounce that Hudds have enjoyed now Watson is settled with his players is the big question.

For me, Powell has spent so long being one of those coaches being constantly linked with jobs at top teams that it's weird to think he's now the oldest coach in SL. Barring the odd anomaly like Wayne Bennett or Time Sheens, RL coaching has always seem to be a young(er) mans game compared to sports like football and even Cas had been graduallyfalling away in the last years of his tenure after the dizzy heights of 2017. It seems risky to give a coach of his age such a blank canvas and they'd have been better off going for a younger coach if they wanted to do such an extreme reset.

Toxic = Warrington at the moment. Not in a good place it seems. 

3 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

It gives me a lot of confidence that IF we are promoted this year(i'm taking nothing for granted), then for the first time in a long time we aren't going to be relying entirely on picking the bones of the relegated club or other basement dwellers. 

Are you 100% certain that Wire will not be that relegated club Rob? they will most certainly be one of the basement dwellers.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you 100% certain that Wire will not be that relegated club Rob? they will most certainly be one of the basement dwellers.

It might be their year ? 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

They'll stay up. It would mean both Toulouse and Wakey would have to win 3 games each, Toulouse have 2/3 possible wins left with the games they've got to play but I can't see Wakey picking up more than one. Certainly going to be an interesting run in regardless and if Leigh are promoted, there are players at each of those clubs who would be worth a punt on once the relegation clauses start activating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

They'll stay up. It would mean both Toulouse and Wakey would have to win 3 games each, Toulouse have 2/3 possible wins left with the games they've got to play but I can't see Wakey picking up more than one. Certainly going to be an interesting run in regardless and if Leigh are promoted, there are players at each of those clubs who would be worth a punt on once the relegation clauses start activating.

Putting you on the spot Rob, Which players would you take the punt on?

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Putting you on the spot Rob, Which players would you take the punt on?

Off the top of my head.... I would be considering looking at Olly Ashall-Bott, Chris Hankinson, Matty Russell, Joe Bretherton or maybe even a year for Harrison Hansen from Toulouse and Lewis Murphy, Lee Kershaw, Corey Hall and Max Jowitt from Wakefield. Some of those would be first 17 players others I think would add cover/depth.