Eurovision 2022

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Ukraine not getting a big slice of the jury votes. Might change later with the public votes, though.

I think they might do better with the public votes.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Germany's entry must be feeling rather British right now...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Armenia are the first jury to give the UK nothing. Must send them some anti-tank missiles in time for the 2023 contest.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are suddenly paying attention to the results....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Portugal quietly climbing the ladder, without any individual big scores. Probably won't do so well with the public votes. The opposite is likely to apply to the Norwegian banana-wolves.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

F U Australia

• Haha 2

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

F U Australia

Is that just Eurovision-related, or a general observation? :kolobok_cool:

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UK leading after the jury votes are all in!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

F U Australia

The convicts only got 2 points from the public vote, tee hee.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ukraine... 439 points! Crikey!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Second place for the UK. I'll take that over "nul points" in a heartbeat, thanks!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I couldn't help noticing that all the countries close to or bordering Russia that might be next in the firing line and looking for some free rocket launchers gave us particularly high points! 😉 It does help sometimes to be one of the world's largest arms dealers. 😜

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well we were never gonna beat a country that has been illegally invaded and ravaged by war. Congratulations to Ukraine! 

I think it was the correct result. Particularly as it was the public vote that made the difference. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ukraine... 439 points! Crikey!

Out of a potential 468, I think?

Enjoyable night. No particularly awful songs and a few that were genuinely decent. Ukraine were always going to win and it's absolutely right that they did.

As for the UK, perhaps it shows that if you do get a song that people like and actually engage with and enjoy the Eurovision process then the 'politics' seems to vanish.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One newspaper headline "wave of love from across Europe lifted them to victory in defiant message to Putin, handed UK shock 2nd place"

So it's not about the song. Still I trust all lovers of pantomime enjoyed it. 

26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

One newspaper headline "wave of love from across Europe lifted them to victory in defiant message to Putin, handed UK shock 2nd place"

So it's not about the song. Still I trust all lovers of pantomime enjoyed it. 

I was a bit aggrieved that we didn't win because of a political situation, but the reality is that that in itself is quite rare.

What last night did do, was answer all those people who say that the UK can't win because everyone hates us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What last night did do, was answer all those people who say that the UK can't win because everyone hates us.

A very rough and ready calculation shows that I think 34/40 countries voted for the UK in the televote and 35/40 in the jury vote.

I've just watched a 'reaction' video from the German broadcaster to the UK entry (and, for comparison, the one for the Ukraine entry) and several of the comments about the UK are along the lines of: you see, when the UK actually make an effort, we get good songs like this. That said, I'm not sure that Sam Ryder is the new Freddie Mercury, however hard a couple of the speakers want to believe it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)