Rimmer is off

23 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

As I understand it, that's what IMG have been brought onboard for.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with and how they SL and RFL will work together functionally.

It does make me chuckle that IMG is not a person who can be loathed. Its almost like they have done their research and decided not to put a persons name forward as a lead.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EggFace said:

Maybe David Gallop as he is not part of Cricket and the ###### A-League ?

I think a big part of the job is being able to deal with UK government and media. Richard Lewis was able to secure significant UK sport/ sport England funding. Messrs Wood & Rimmer got money for the world cup and for Covid. 

Aussie administrators have generally struggled to adapt to the circumstances here (and not just in RL). It's a different skillset when you're talking about a niche sport with minimal public awareness or media interest 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

It does make me chuckle that IMG is not a person who can be loathed. Its almost like they have done their research and decided not to put a persons name forward as a lead.

Traditionally, big companies would bring on consultants when they wanted to bring in unpopular changes and be able to blame them on outsiders. So you may well be right here 😉

Edited by JonM
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JonM said:

I think a big part of the job is being able to deal with UK government and media. Richard Lewis was able to secure significant UK sport/ sport England funding. Messrs Wood & Rimmer got money for the world cup and for Covid. 

Aussie administrators have generally struggled to adapt to the circumstances here (and not just in RL). It's a different skillset when you're talking about a niche sport with minimal public awareness or media interest 

BUT I WANT TO SHOUT AT THE STATE PREMIER

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The RFL has multiple departments, for want of a better word.

- Community game: getting more volunteers, players, coaches, referees. Improving facilities, increasing the number of clubs, schools, development officers, widening participation etc etc.

- On-field matters: laws of the game, drug testing, player safety, player welfare/health, insurance and so on.

- Events/ ticketing

- Commercial:  sponsorships, merchandise etc 

- Media/ marketing: PR, tv, our league, social media 

- Professional game: running competitions, supporting the clubs etc.

- International teams 

There's obviously all the stuff that any organisation has - HR, legal, finance, IT and so on.

The new CEO shouldn't be hands-on with any of those things. Ideally there should be good people in charge of all of them. It's pretty easy to set a bunch of goals - more money coming in, more people playing, more spectators, more viewers, England winning. It's the multi-year strategy to achieve those things that the CEO is responsible for, and how you navigate the lack of money and the internal politics. There's some obvious incoming big issues eg long-term impact of head injuries that will also be CEO level.

I think another role of the CEO is to be the public face of the game. We have had a long spell of negativity, in-fighting and some high profile failures. Someone needs to change the mood music in the sport and to re-enthuse everyone.

• Like 1

For those who would like someone from this country with a connection to our game to become the CEO they will be disappointed. None of the middling to top CEO's in this country have that background that i can see. Perhaps our best bet might be someone from a business background who enjoys sport and is ambitious.