Italy and 2025

3 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Hmmm, no. 

No Saluzzo player was involved that day. It was before they even entered the French system. 

Perhaps I was thinking of the match vs Spain. Maybe 2017 or 2018? Big crowd, played in Saluzzo I think and I think Bergamasco played too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

The game in Monza vs Wales (2016, WC qualification) was very entertaining. People who were there seemed entertained. 

But with no government recognition it's gonna be tough. 

Why no govt recognition?

Without a 4 team domestic competition Italy shouldn't even be allowed to enter the qualifiers. 

That's the minimum standards for a nation of over 500k inhabitants to be Affiliate members of the IRL. Plus junior development. 

I'll be surprised if the IRL pull them up on it though.

• Like 8

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Without a 4 team domestic competition Italy shouldn't even be allowed to enter the qualifiers. 

That's the minimum standards for a nation of over 500k inhabitants to be Affiliate members of the IRL. Plus junior development. 

I'll be surprised if the IRL pull them up on it though.

Without being negative I don't think any nation who doesn't have a minimum amount of domestic clubs and juniors should be allowed to enter the WC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Without being negative I don't think any nation who doesn't have a minimum amount of domestic clubs and juniors should be allowed to enter the WC. 

Agreed. But sadly we "need" these teams in order to have a WC. 

Italy and Scotland have been violating these rules since as long as I can remember. Not even meeting Affiliate membership standards, yes somehow enjoy full membership status. 

• Like 1

Pandemic years haven't helped, especially when you're asking people to switch from their ru teams (who have the money) to rl from time to time (rl which, without gov money can't pay and goes on thanks to the work by volunteers, etc.). 

In addition to this, the idea that removing heritage players --> magically develop homegrown talent is foolish. 

Italy home some domestic players in their 24, one of them have played vs Scotland. 

They just need to restart with test match on home soil after the Covid shock.

• Like 3

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

52 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Pandemic years haven't helped, especially when you're asking people to switch from their ru teams (who have the money) to rl from time to time (rl which, without gov money can't pay and goes on thanks to the work by volunteers, etc.). 

In addition to this, the idea that removing heritage players --> magically develop homegrown talent is foolish. 

Italy home some domestic players in their 24, one of them have played vs Scotland. 

They just need to restart with test match on home soil after the Covid shock.

I don't think heritage players should be removed. If they're eligible let them play. Just want to see the game developed in these countries on the back of having a competitive national team.

Mid season tests would be a good opportunity for domestic players to play, especially for teams like Italy and Greece who rely on NRL players. As long as they play teams of a similar standard then it would be good experience for domestic players. Could even be used as trials for them to make the squad for the end of season tournaments 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EggFace said:

NO and even Rugby Union can not sell out in Italy after all these years...Rugby Union World Cup would do wonders and after today watching Kingston Park I think the French RLWC will be a disaster.

Why does watching a WC game from Newcastle in the north of England lead you to believe that a WC in France will be a disaster?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

That is the rule.

But, much like the rest of the IRL's rules it doesn't apply to all.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

On 22/10/2022 at 10:36, Number 16 said:

Yes, the World Cup in 2025 is to be hosted by the French, helped by a significant government cash injection. My question is: in the highly likely event of the Italians again qualifying is there any scope for their games to actually be played in Italy. For example Turin and Milan would be ideal venues.

And could it help kick start some genuine development in Italy?

Thoughts?

be far better Spain the Catalonia region and Valencian region . World cup game in Barcelona .