Twitter Exodus

Dave Naylor

If you're unaware, there's been a bit of an exodus from Twitter after Elon Musk's acquisition of the platform. I've exited it too.

I'm now using Mastodon as my social media platform of choice. It's part of the Fediverse and isn't controlled by a commercial entity.

Here are some Mastodon facts.

I've created @OldhamRLFC@mstdn.social and from there I'll splurge/copy paste out any rolling Roughyeds news.

Follow the @OldhamRLFC account if you want to stay updated with what's going on at Roughyeds and have sacked-off Twitter

If you want to follow me, I'm at @caramboo@mastodon.org.uk.  

Edited by Dave Naylor

15 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

If you're unaware, there's been a bit of an exodus from Twitter after Elon Musk's acquisition of the platform. I've exited it too.

I'm now using Mastodon as my social media platform of choice. It's part of the Fediverse and isn't controlled by a commercial entity.

Here are some Mastodon facts.

I've created @OldhamRLFC@mstdn.social and from there I'll splurge/copy paste out any rolling Roughyeds news.

Follow the @OldhamRLFC account if you want to stay updated with what's going on at Roughyeds and have sacked-off Twitter

If you want to follow me, I'm at @caramboo@mastodon.org.uk.  

Not on twitter, instagram, facebook, etc.

Why on Earth would anyone want a 'social media' platform?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

There's a marketing idea. They should resurrect the green final, in digital form. 

I wonder how many under forties on here are now wondering what the heck is the Green Final 😀

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, WellWisher said:

I wonder how many under forties on here are now wondering what the heck is the Green Final 😀

and the manchester pink final.used to go to the newsagents about 6/30 pm and pick both papers up for my father.mainly for the horse racing results. great days

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WellWisher said:

It was truly amazing how quick it got printed and distributed, it would arrive in Chadderton at my door very early evening (before 6pm on Saturday), same too for the Football Pink (the Manchester Evening News sports special). Waiting for the newspapers to arrive was highly anticipated on a Saturday evening.

In later years, only the outside covers were printed in colour.

Oldham Rugby ( as it was then known) got equal publicity to Latics, both games taking place on a Saturday afternoon. In the early seventies, the rugby started playing on a Sunday which was slightly controversial at the time. There was a campaign called Keep Sunday Special and Oldham home games took place with an old fella stood at Herbert Street with a placard like "The End of The world is Nigh" seen in the big cities. He might still be there! Of course, the club wasn't allowed to charged for admission but could charge for a printed team sheet which then allowed entry into the ground.

Good times! In fact, great times! 🤩

• Like 4

Great times indeed, and it certainly was amazing how quick the sports papers were printed and distributed. That again begs the question whether the internet and social media has been an advantage or a detriment to our way of life.

I remember my sister and I having to be quiet Saturday teatime while Dad read out the teams they'd selected on the Littlewoods pools coupon and Mum told him whether the result was home, draw or away. Unfortunately, they never did manage to find the elusive eight draws 😀.

I walked up Herbert Street this morning but saw no sign of the old fella with the placard 🤣.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

It was truly amazing how quick it got printed and distributed, it would arrive in Chadderton at my door very early evening (before 6pm on Saturday), same too for the Football Pink (the Manchester Evening News sports special). Waiting for the newspapers to arrive was highly anticipated on a Saturday evening.

In later years, only the outside covers were printed in colour.

Oldham Rugby ( as it was then known) got equal publicity to Latics, both games taking place on a Saturday afternoon. In the early seventies, the rugby started playing on a Sunday which was slightly controversial at the time. There was a campaign called Keep Sunday Special and Oldham home games took place with an old fella stood at Herbert Street with a placard like "The End of The world is Nigh" seen in the big cities. He might still be there! Of course, the club wasn't allowed to charged for admission but could charge for a printed team sheet which then allowed entry into the ground.

Good times! In fact, great times! 🤩

The End of the World very nearly was Nigh for Oldham Rugby!!!  Certainly was for Watersheddings. And for Latics, the way things are going. 

I have a slight suspicion that this thread is going to very nostalgic and grumpy old man-ish, quite soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1