Bring back the 4 nations

8 minutes ago, jacksy said:

As usual we will ignore teams on our doorstep.

Home internationals + France need to happen. Its only our arrogance that stops this happening.

We complain the aussies are arrogant because they don't want to play us because we are uncompetitive.

We then use the same  excuses ourselves against playing the other home nations.

Scorelines are irrelevant give youngsters something to look to achieve.

The game vs France is happening.

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

6 hours ago, hw88 said:

That's why we should always play as GB. In reality it's never going to grow substatially in the other 3 nations. If it was going to happen it would have happened in Wales already - it's been tried often enough.

Furthermore the NRL is a more competitive competition - more teams (and expanding) and less predictable. A perfect breeding ground for good rugby players Add to that the influx of Polynesians who seem to be perfectly physically suited to the game and you get 4+ powerful RL playing nations.

We have Super League - a misnomer if ever there was one - which is the RL equivalent of the Scottish Premiership. Go on, who's going to win it in 2023 Saints, Wigan or Leeds? Our only competitor is France - good 60 years ago but incapable of matching us now, and going backwards seemingly.

SL is a very good league,with some amazing games and top players. I'm assuming you attend games regularly mate - or do you just criticise from afar without actually watching it?

9 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Really??

When are we going to start paying more than union?

Please tell me... when will rugby league be a bigger stage to perform on??

You sound unbelievably deluded, sorry.

Well I think the money Wire were paying Widdop was better than any players in the RU Premiership (maybe not France granted) - the likes of Williams and Tomkins etc are on money on par with any UK RU players. 

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

7 World Cup quarter finalists selecting from the NRL (or minor Australian leagues)

1 from the top end of Super League. (And they had a strong NRL core).

And? Doesn’t mean SL is not a really good league. There were SL-based players in both teams yesterday. 

33 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

7 World Cup quarter finalists selecting from the NRL (or minor Australian leagues)

1 from the top end of Super League. (And they had a strong NRL core).

Nothing to do with the fact that just about every single player in the NRL can pick 1 or 2 international teams they can play for if they don't get picked by Oz or NZ? - 95% of players playing for England from SL can only play for England. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Really??

Those things will happen when somebody creates a brand new league which will provide those things and not until then.

2 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Really??

You sound unbelievably deluded, sorry.

It probably won't be bigger in our lifetime as the top brass have ****** it. However the view all is Rosey in the union world is false. As part of the commons committee hearings the debts were laid out. 

£500 million. 

The majority of clubs have debts exceeding £30m. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/gallagher-premiership-how-are-rugby-clubs-regulated/#:~:text=In March 2021%2C it announced,an interest rate of 2%. 

Excl Worcester's 

Edited by Midlands hobo

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nothing to do with the fact that just about every single player in the NRL can pick 1 or 2 international teams they can play for if they don't get picked by Oz or NZ? - 95% of players playing for England from SL can only play for England. 

There are oversea players eligibles for England but we haven't picked them (right or wrong)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the 4 Nations when it was going but I feel it's past and shouldn't be resurrected. There are too many good RL nations to be focusing on just four. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. The SH should run their annual international comps and likewise the NH. That way more nations are involved and more will benefit than just a privileged few. 

• Haha 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

48 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I enjoyed the 4 Nations when it was going but I feel it's past and shouldn't be resurrected. There are too many good RL nations to be focusing on just four. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. The SH should run their annual international comps and likewise the NH. That way more nations are involved and more will benefit than just a privileged few. 

Unfortunately, there aren't enough good teams in the NH, especially without the players based down under. I don't think there's the money to have them flying to Europe every year. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Unfortunately, there aren't enough good teams in the NH, especially without the players based down under. I don't think there's the money to have them flying to Europe every year. 

I don't think players have to be flown up, there is plenty of talent in SL to put credible test matches on. 

There will never be enough good teams in the NH unless they play each other. France needs to be playing England. Those two nations would form the basis of a NH comp. Wales and Ireland could join them in the top group. Other nations would then be grouped in lower groups. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RayCee said:

I don't think players have to be flown up, there is plenty of talent in SL to put credible test matches on. 

There will never be enough good teams in the NH unless they play each other. France needs to be playing England. Those two nations would form the basis of a NH comp. Wales and Ireland could join them in the top group. Other nations would then be grouped in lower groups. 

Last time a tournament was organised between England, Wales and France...it was very one sided. 

While I think this is not an issue at all, it becomes one if these are the only matches England play in the season.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well I think the money Wire were paying Widdop was better than any players in the RU Premiership (maybe not France granted) - the likes of Williams and Tomkins etc are on money on par with any UK RU players. 

Farrell is on 750k at sarries apparently. Plus will get 100k or more for England and image rights

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Last time a tournament was organised between England, Wales and France....it was very one sided.

While I think this is not an issue at all, it becomes one if these are the only matches England play in the season.

The last time England played Wales and France in a tri series was 1996! The last time a full England side played in Europe (in a six nations tournament) was 2004! 

At the WC, England (with SH players) only defeated France (without any SH assistance) 42-18. It was a decent watch and a decent contest. If England aren't able to get SH players, it would only add to closing the gap and making for some decent contests. 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RayCee said:

whose going to pay good money to watch an home international RL comp which has Scotland and Ireland sides made up entirely of players who aren't good enough to get into the England side?

Its been tried and the British RL loving public will not support it.

We need a top class international programme to raise the profile of the game - the viewing figures prove there's a market for international RL, and the game could capitalise on this by playing games on BBC or Channel 4 whilst the competition (RU) play their games on streaming platforms which don't pull in anywhere near the viewing figures of terrestrial TV.

I'm sure the Pacific states are just as keen to raise the of the game so would jump at the chance to be part of an international calendar. We have to accept that the Aussies will only tour on their terms, so the RFL have to create a competition without them until that time they want to be involved.

If its a Four Nations style competition, then these teams could also play against France in France to help raise both the standard and profile of the game, this would add much more value to the French game.