Chris Kendall

Just now, Damien said:

Whether someone is worse is subjective. Neutral referees in the past have not been worse.

They were working in SL and NRL. 

As players, test match referees should be used to referee at the highest level. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Do you have any evidence to support that claim or is it just a whining slur, like "The election was rigged?"

How does the NRL win or lose if Samoa wins? On the one hand, so many people here are convinced that the NRL doesn't care a fig about the international game but, at the same time, they care enough to rig the result. Which one is it?

If Samoa win that will destroy the myth about SOO being the pinnacle of Rugby League. The Aussies won't like that

• Like 3

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

They were working in SL and NRL. 

As players, test match referees should be used to referee at the highest level. 

And we still didn't have neutral referees and the Aussies still moaned. That is your required standard, is it not?

If a referee needs to referee at the highest standard then maybe you should tell the NRL to stop sending touch judges to referee World Cup games then.

Just now, Damien said:

And we still didn't have neutral referees and the Aussies still moaned. That is your required standard, is it not?

If a referee needs to referee at the highest standard then maybe you should tell the NRL to stop sending touch judges to referee World Cup games then.

Maybe. 

I'm not saying the choices have been perfect. I'm saying it's hard to guarantee neutral referees with only SL and the NRL at the proper standard. 

Even if there was a French/a Kiwi refereing in SL/NRL, would it be right to guarantee them the matches between Eng and Aus regardless of form, etc.? Would be a "choice"? 

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

Maybe. 

I'm not saying the choices have been perfect. I'm saying it's hard to guarantee neutral referees with only SL and the NRL at the proper standard. 

Even if there was a French/a Kiwi refereing in SL/NRL, would it be right to guarantee them the matches between Eng and Aus regardless of form, etc.? Would be a "choice"? 

Again, this is a red herring and its disingenuous that you keep repeating it. This is not why neutral referees where scrapped.

It is not hard to have just one referee from another country, we've done it before.

You are happy with it, that's fine. That doesn't mean the rest of the sporting world doesn't see it as extremely odd, to say the least.

• Like 1

When all this world cup is done and dusted the post mortem about the poor state of British Rugby League will go on and on. 

Having watched the many games this year what sticks out to me is the far superior way the Aussie refs control the games. Even that female ref did a better job than Kendal, If we want to improve the game in my opinion officials need to control the game in the same way as in Austrailia. Instead we have a bunch of pedantic posers who think the game is all about them, constantly blowing for technical infringements in an often random fashion just to remind everyone they are out there.

Edited by Agbrigg
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

I'm not necessarily suggesting that he is the tournament's best ref but, for the sake of neutrality, he has to be given the role.

I agree with the first part and also with the sentiment of the second part. Is he the only neutral choice available though. If there are any others then someone else should get it!!

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

I hope it's Sutton. I don't think he's a particularly good ref but he will allow Samoa time to breathe whereas Klein is non-stop.

He also won't send any of them off unless they actually paralyse someone. 

Klein has been the best referee in the tournament by a street, he was excellent on Friday. Sutton was flaky on Saturday, albeit for both sides. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

I hope it's Sutton. I don't think he's a particularly good ref but he will allow Samoa time to breathe whereas Klein is non-stop.

He also won't send any of them off unless they actually paralyse someone. 

Klein has been the best referee in the tournament by a street, he was excellent on Friday. Sutton was flaky on Saturday, albeit for both sides. 

2 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I wouldn't use a referee not used to that kind of speed, intensity or pressure.

It's better to have professional referees.

How about a Frenchman refs in SL, or a a kiwi in the NRL? It’s hardly rocket science.  

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

How about a Frenchman refs in SL, or a a kiwi in the NRL? It’s hardly rocket science.  

You'd need more than one for each league. Otherwise, you'd have only 2 choices for Eng v Aus and it's not the ideal. You'd have to chose one of them regardless of form, etc.

While it's true Int RL in the long term should push for Kiwis ref and French ref in the NRL and SL, it's not happening in a day. 

8 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

You'd need more than one for each league. Otherwise, you'd have only 2 choices for Eng v Aus and it's not the ideal. You'd have to chose one of them regardless of form, etc.

While it's true Int RL in the long term should push for Kiwis ref and French ref in the NRL and SL, it's not happening in a day. 

They could start it very quickly, would easily be do-able by 2025. 

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Are you so sure there are in France and NZ referee that can ref at top club level at the moment? 

Is it really an issue? 

No but there will be those who could have a season or two in the Championship or Q / NSW Cups before moving up. That said I’m sure we both know this is just hypothesising, neither the RFL or NRL would ever think ahead like that. 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

When all this world cup is done and dusted the post mortem about the poor state of British Rugby League will go on and on. 

Having watched the many games this year what sticks out to me is the far superior way the Aussie refs control the games. Even that female ref did a better job than Kendal, If we want to improve the game in my opinion officials need to control the game in the same way as in Austrailia. Instead we have a bunch of pedantic posers who think the game is all about them, constantly blowing for technical infringements in an often random fashion just to remind everyone they are out there.

This. The game is a much better spectacle when the ref intervenes less rather than more, and happens more often with Aussie Refs imo.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.