Greece Domestic League

Damien

The Greek league starts again this week with 9 teams in two conferences. It would be great to see Greek RL really kick on now on the back of legal recognition and their World Cup appearance.

You'd also imagine the 8 domestic players who played in the World Cup will help to raise standards immensely when they return to their clubs. They will have learned so much by being in a professional environment for weeks and with their exposure to a much higher level of RL:

The domestic rugby league season in Greece – the first since the sport gained official government recognition in the country – begins on Sunday, on the back of the men’s national side making their debut in the recent World Cup, and the women’s having won the inaugural Euro B South competition.

Nine men’s teams are split into two pools, in the East division: Rhodes Knights, Attica Rhinos and Athens Raiders, and in the West: AEK, Aris Eagles, Glyfada Sharks, Patra Panthers, Perama Tigers and Pyrrichios, whilst four women’s teams: Attica Rhinos, Aris Eagles, Athens Raiders and Patra Panthers will face each other. The schedule shows a triple-header Grand Final on 18 March 2023 for all three divisions.

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2218/domestic-rugby-league-begins-again-in-gr...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
58 minutes ago, langpark said:

True, this and Elite 1 standard is lightyears ahead of the Greek League. 

Well it should be. Elite 1 is almost 90 years old and semi professional. The Greek RLA has only been officially recognised for a year and had a heck of a job on just to play games domestically before that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Well it should be. Elite 1 is almost 90 years old and semi professional. The Greek RLA has only been officially recognised for a year and had a heck of a job on just to play games domestically before that.

Recognition for only a year yet Attica Rhinos are now ten years old! That’s what you call doing the hard yards.

• Like 3

On 03/09/2023 at 03:59, Gomersall said:

The French league will pay, I doubt the Greek league does.

Yes, sorry, I should have better explained. Is it a future opportunity, not something for today. Plus, not every player is motivated by money. I reckon there’d be enough players out there that would do it for the experience — maybe 2 per team. If I was younger I’d do it for a season or part there of.  

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2023 at 07:46, bobbruce said:

I’m off to Rhodes next week I wonder where they play and if they’ll have a home game while I’m out there. 

just come back from Naxos, Athens and Mykanos... if they have any matches in the next few weeks they deserve a huge amount of credit.. its bloody warm in the afternoon and evening!

• 1 month later...