The remarkable (and welcome) rise of the NRL

On 06/04/2023 at 22:30, Pulga said:

TV ratings are killing it.

Yeah, but this is just the icing on the cake.

Fumbleball after two rounds:

Season Total to date

Broadcast total 10.818m (-5.8%)
Seven 5.082m (-20.5%)
[Seven Broadcast -3.6%]
Fox 5.687m (-4.7%)
Fox STB 3.383n (+3.23%)
Strm 2.353m (-13.6%)

Lot of red ink in there.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah, but this is just the icing on the cake.

Fumbleball after two rounds:

Season Total to date

Broadcast total 10.818m (-5.8%)
Seven 5.082m (-20.5%)
[Seven Broadcast -3.6%]
Fox 5.687m (-4.7%)
Fox STB 3.383n (+3.23%)
Strm 2.353m (-13.6%)

Lot of red ink in there.

Didn’t the AFL attract 80k to the season opener & continue to dwarf NRL attendances ?

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t the AFL attract 80k to the season opener & continue to dwarf NRL attendances ?

Yes, but combined the NRL blows it out of the water.

Selling pies and pints at matches is a bygone era.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

Just now, Pulga said:

Yes, but combined the NRL blows it out of the water.

So consistently attracting large crowds is an old school waste of time is it ? And yet on another thread your using one Dolphins attendance as a stick to beat Superleague 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So consistently attracting large crowds is an old school waste of time is it ? And yet on another thread your using one Dolphins attendance as a stick to beat Superleague 

No. I didn't say that at all. The VAST majority of money from NRL and AFL comes from TV deals.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

No. I didn't say that at all. The VAST majority of money from NRL and AFL comes from TV deals.

The majority of income for the NRL clubs (or the good ones) still comes from match day operations and should never be neglected. 

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

it absolutely is not. The financials of the AFL still dwarf that of the NRL, including broadcast rights, despite the increased viewing figures for the NRL. The AFL clubs in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are bigger than religion and the paid up memberships that flock through the turnstiles are all spending and spending lots.

I’m not slagging the NRL off here, they do a great job and are on a tremendous increase and closing the gap, but, your posts demonstrate either your lack of understanding between the financial value of the AFL, NRL and all their clubs, or they are deliberately disingenuous. Either way, your posts do not paint an accurate picture of the Australian sports landscape and such inaccuracies may be taken as fact by others on here with less understanding, so they do need correction.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Overall they average about 32 000, which mind you has been on the decline for about 10 years, and we are getting up towards 16 000. HST, the extra ~150k they get in crowds per round is dwarfed by the extra 100 000+ we get in viewers per match.

All sports except the poor A-League (soccer) and union have experienced a significant crowd bump this year, I seriously think people are finally shaking off the covid shackles and getting out, that`s why I was so keen to see the viewing numbers because that showed who is getting the real rise.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Overall they average about 32 000, which mind you has been on the decline for about 10 years, and we are getting up towards 16 000. HST, the extra ~150k they get in crowds per round is dwarfed by the extra 100 000+ we get in viewers per match.

All sports except the poor A-League (soccer) and union have experienced a significant crowd bump this year, I seriously think people are finally shaking off the covid shackles and getting out, that`s why I was so keen to see the viewing numbers because that showed who is getting the real rise.

It really does feel like that. The COVID hangover ending. Do you follow the cricket Rocket? Any idea what the crowd numbers were like for the Big Bash where you are?

It’s a great year so far for the NRL and it still seems many teams are capable of taking points off each other. Canberra over Brisbane yesterday, although I wasn’t expecting Manly to get trounced the way they were, although I feel like they are starting to get a rep for leaking big points against good teams. Haven’t seen the facts, maybe that’s just me dreaming 😂 

NRL clubs unfortunately won’t be benefitting from any govt funded stadium upgrades any time soon. I hope they are making the most of this increased performance of viewers. The Sharks have bought some prime commercial real estate in Cronulla mall to base their merchandise operation out of. I suggested this to Dino Mezz’ about four years ago, so I’m gonna take credit for the purchase 😂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Rocket said:

150k dwarfed by 100k? What?

4 hours ago, footy_fan_nrl said:

150k dwarfed by 100k? What?

"the extra ~150k they get in crowds per round is dwarfed by the extra 100 000+ we get in viewers per match."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pulga said:

26,084 for Newcastle

23,695 for Warriors 

26,563 for Titans

I do hope the NRL & the prophet are not getting too worried by these near sellout games.

Edited by Davo5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I do hope the NRL & the prophet are not getting too worried by these near sellout games.

Yes, probably not worried, but maybe a little disappointed.😬

• Haha 1

Some incredible things happening over here with broadcast viewing numbers:

"To the end of last round, and the NRL has had 13 matches reach past the million audience mark, this compares to the AFL with just 3. The tide has definitely turned. The AFL used to lead this measure by up to 5 x the number of million+ audiences each season."SportsIndustry

It wasn`t that long ago the NRL might get about 18, even less, million viewer matches per season. 

By the end of round 6 this year we`ve had 13, crazy stuff.

• Like 1

The Queensland derbies this year have all been tremendous matches, and the fans have responded.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes, probably not worried, but maybe a little disappointed.😬

Sell out games are great. The NRL and SL crowds have been great. Maybe have a read back at what has been written before you guys decide to have a crack.

I expect those types of snide, ulterior motive digs from other members on this forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I expect those types of snide, ulterior motive digs from other members on this forum

Funny thing Prophet (that sounds weird), when I typed that I was really only having a light-hearted dig at you.