Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Denmark were in the final though, a small country like that having a team in a WC final in any sport will get big viewing figures. How many did their opening WC games get? 

https://www.handball-planet.com/wch-2023-handball-tv-ratings-big-final-from-stockholm-underperformed-in-denmark-and-france/

Flings some figures around … 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

In true TotalRL fashion the arguing on this thread about Handball has had more posts than the actual Handball thread on AOB has had in nearly 2 years 😂

Is that the thread with the accurate title?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Bit of a bird's car though.

Left hand drive as well , I suppose you could have called him a ' Tart ' , big curly perm 😂

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RP London said:

in the UK even though we did get a team out for 2012 (by hook or by crook).. 

Warrington wolves were running a team in the UK league for some years linked to that 2012 Olympic cycle. Part of the TDP to get British players Olympic-ready. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is that number of players or spectators? Angling is very popular in the UK but not many people would watch a World Cup. 

Angling is not a sport , it's a cruel pastime , the excuse that Fish don't feel pain isn't proven , I as a kid used to go fishing , no choice , my mum stated to my Dad " if you're going fishing you're taking them 2 with you as well " I bloody hated it 😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes this one, I even gave it a bump for you 😉:

Modesty has always been something I’m great at

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Warrington wolves were running a team in the UK league for some years linked to that 2012 Olympic cycle. Part of the TDP to get British players Olympic-ready. 

really?? didnt know that... looks like another internet rabbit hole is about to be explored.... one day I'll get some bloody work done!

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Abra dabra cadabra 

" I'm going to reach out and grab yer " 😉

like most things in the late 70s/early 80s those lyrics aged well! 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

really?? didnt know that... looks like another internet rabbit hole is about to be explored.... one day I'll get some bloody work done!

Through the Wolves foundation.

I think it has carried on but not with the branding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RP London said:

do you watch a game on TV for the crowd in the stands or the product on the pitch?

I remember how sub par the viewing experience was during Covid with no crowds and a lack of atmosphere, so I would rather say the televised product, is directly influenced by the action on the pitch and the atmosphere directly surrounding it.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I remember how sub par the viewing experience was during Covid with no crowds and a lack of atmosphere, so I would rather say the televised product, is directly influenced by the action on the pitch and the atmosphere directly surrounding it.

I didnt find it all that bad with the piped in sounds on the tele but yes less than ideal, but thats a totally dead ground rather than one with people in it, just not as many as you would like.. and we get those sorts of games all the time in the league and world cup competitions even in the heartlands.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Exactly, on holiday when the news broke about France and my son and myself spent a couple of days discussing the various options , essentially UK based with a full group still in France , or a split SH tournament with a group in NZ ( I'm not sure NZ has stadiums for a stand alone WC ) 

Then the Quatar suggestion popped up , initially we laughed , then actually started thinking about it , and the positives massively outweigh the negatives , money can pretty much fix anything , and also create ' legacy ' not necessarily in the venue country , if it is genuine and they have an open chequebook , it would be madness to go out of your way to find reasons not to do it 

It can’t buy you happiness. Many think it can, but it can’t.

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

It can’t buy you happiness. Many think it can, but it can’t.

you're not spending it in the right brothels places, I meant places... 

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, RP London said:

Yeah - I actually thought that might interest you! 

The club is still going but I think it is now separate from the RL club. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RP London said:

they create a poor image for the game I agree but that is not what is being discussed.. does it mean people tune out?? 

The fanatic? Probably not.

The uninitiated? Much more likely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

All of them ? 

exactly.. even a small percentage of a new audience staying tuned in is better than no new audience at all. 

At the risk of reigniting the died down flame of a few painful pages of discussion on crowds, I think…

no wait. I actually don’t want to reignite that flame.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Again. Rather than falling out, just, for now, understand that even Troy Grant isn't pretending there has been a real level of interest from anyone in Qatar beyond a quick exchange which sounds like the kind of thing that happens on LinkedIn.

There is absolutely nothing to back up anyone believing that the Qataris are about to bankroll a multi-team, multi-week World Cup or cups.

Cmon GJ, start living in the dream. In the dream there is a 2025 RLWC taking place in empty stadiums which… oh wait, I almost reignited that flame again.

No, I’m with you GJ, let’s avoid fantasy and get back to Aus/Pacific. 

If Qatar want to host it in 2025, then they will want to host it in 2029. Let’s at least give it some planning time to succeed. Start with giving them 6 yrs of free coverage of NRL and SL in Qatar and the surrounding nations to at least get the locals wet for it.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

At the risk of reigniting the died down flame of a few painful pages of discussion on crowds, I think…

no wait. I actually don’t want to reignite that flame.

Cmon GJ, start living in the dream. In the dream there is a 2025 RLWC taking place in empty stadiums which… oh wait, I almost reignited that flame again.

No, I’m with you GJ, let’s avoid fantasy and get back to Aus/Pacific. 

If Qatar want to host it in 2025, then they will want to host it in 2029. Let’s at least give it some planning time to succeed. Start with giving them 6 yrs of free coverage of NRL and SL in Qatar and the surrounding nations to at least get the locals wet for it.

A compromise viewpoint on an internet forum…this will never do!

• Haha 2