The Oldham Game

jroyales

44 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

(?) holding up the Oldham player from 2nd half kick off.

My thoughts exactly.   Will make for an interesting watch on the highlights package. ? A rare favour from the ref?

Deserved the win on defence alone for me.  Outstanding.  
Apart from their uncanny ability to drop the ball when they looked more likely to score I thought they looked (once again) better than Donny so not sure what happened at their gaff last week.  

Doesn’t matter now but couldn’t understand why we didn’t go for the drop goal in that last 15 minutes.  Had several opportunities.    

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

My thoughts exactly.   Will make for an interesting watch on the highlights package. ? A rare favour from the ref?

Deserved the win on defence alone for me.  Outstanding.  
Apart from their uncanny ability to drop the ball when they looked more likely to score I thought they looked (once again) better than Donny so not sure what happened at their gaff last week.  

Doesn’t matter now but couldn’t understand why we didn’t go for the drop goal in that last 15 minutes.  Had several opportunities.    

Sykes did have one go at a drop.

5 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Sykes did have one go at a drop.

He did.  My apologies but we def had more than a few chances. 

We got the job done tonight by toughing it out. We had more points in us second half but constantly took the wrong attacking options. Players stepping back inside and attempting to force their way over under sticks etc. Ball should have gone out the back and wider. Noticed that this happens quite regularly.

• Like 2

Oldham came to put us off our game by spoiling and trying to draw us into a maul. This they are quite entitled to do, but in the first half Dewsbury kept their heads and wore down the Oldham pack and by half time were well on top. 

In the second half we seemed to get more drawn in and, helped by the ref's inconsistent interpretation of the high tackle rules, we gave them too many free yards, especially from their own 20m line, and we let them right back into the game. 

In the  end we were the better and tougher side and, in  balance I reckon it should go down as a really good performance. 

• Like 3

A really tough encounter, my first view of our visitors, missing the away fixture and I could see from the way Oldham like to attack and fling the ball this way and that, in that they are a competent team, only let down by their finishing. Who knows what the outcome might have been had they kept hold of the ball. Having noted that, we could perhaps have scored more with a little steadiness in the build up: we seem to want to score on the first or second move (and Finny has commented previously about this). I think we didn’t get drawn into their tactical spoiling tactics and wore them down to  get our tries. I think Nelmes should have got ten minutes for stopping us taking a quick ptb and should Ah Van got similar (or red?) for the tip tackle?

Second half was a battle proper battle with only had a penalty goal from Sykes and we were drawn into trying to counteract those spoiling methods mentioned above and were caned by the referee, awarding penalties against us. When Oldham get their play in motion they look good. I am more surprised after last night, how they lost to Doncaster.

I made that penalty count 10-3 (or perhaps 9-2) agin us. We have to improve on this indiscipline and not be drawn into “other” tactics of opponents. Conversely he awarded us about 6 set restarts, evidence perhaps of our visitors’ desire to spoil things at the ptb  

Really good for Sykesy to have scored 1000+ points for his home town club. Not bad in the last seven years with us for this veteran quality player.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Thanks 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

When Nelmes  obstructed to stop the quick tap it was right in front of the eagle eyed touch judge who saw Lewis Carr put a foot 1mm over the touch line from 30 yards away to give the FT. Pity his close up vision isn't as good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STEVE P said:

When Nelmes  obstructed to stop the quick tap it was right in front of the eagle eyed touch judge who saw Lewis Carr put a foot 1mm over the touch line from 30 yards away to give the FT. Pity his close up vision isn't as good.

Had that T/J remained his side of the touch line (in the first half at least) he would have had a better view of the incident 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, STEVE P said:

Nelmes first knocked the ball out of Restall's hand then obstructed him from getting to the 20m line. Both were yellow cards. 

Thought our last tackle plays near the line could do with a bit more organisation and composure.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, STEVE P said:

That Touchy may as well have just worn his Oldham shirt.  I Will have to watch the highlights but at first watch the decision on that 40/20 appeared to be one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen given on a rugby pitch. 

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Nelmes first knocked the ball out of Restall's hand then obstructed him from getting to the 20m line. Both were yellow cards. 

Thought our last tackle plays near the line could do with a bit more organisation and composure.

Apparently Restall deliberately ran into Nelmes and the ball was dislodged. This is according to the referee when, after the match, questioned about the incident,

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Haha 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

21 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Apparently Restall deliberately ran into Nelmes and the ball was dislodged. This is according to the referee when, after the match, questioned about the incident,

We we're fortunate in the car park coming out, the officials car narrowly missed us, I shouted "didn't you blinking see us" he replied "I'm the referee".... I replied "well that answers my first question then" 🤔🤣🤣

• Haha 4

That contentious 40/20 might raise more questions.  Good job it didn’t affect the outcome of the result.

Viewing the YouTube highlights, Carr did indeed put his left foot into touch, but it was raised off the ground when he kicked the ball with his right. Was the TJ correct with his flag raising decision, or wrong because a player can raise his arm over the touch line to pat a floating ball back into the field of play?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 25/06/2023 at 13:52, coolie said:

We we're fortunate in the car park coming out, the officials car narrowly missed us, I shouted "didn't you blinking see us" he replied "I'm the referee".... I replied "well that answers my first question then" 🤔🤣🤣

I was having an after match drink in the Royal Suite with the wife. I was looking through the window out on to the car park at the back of the main stand. I saw a black coloured possibly VW Golf exiting the car park at speed and noticed that the vehicle had a private number plate along the lines of something something Mill. The speed caught my attention. I said to the wife that the official had just and she said where is he from. I said Workington I believe and she said make no wonder he is in a rush to get home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

That contentious 40/20 might raise more questions.  Good job it didn’t affect the outcome of the result.

Viewing the YouTube highlights, Carr did indeed put his left foot into touch, but it was raised off the ground when he kicked the ball with his right. Was the TJ correct with his flag raising decision, or wrong because a player can raise his arm over the touch line to pat a floating ball back into the field of play?

The TJ was correct. You can't jump from in touch to play the ball.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

54 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I’ll fess up that it’s very hard to tell on the highlights whether or not that 40/20 was legit, but boy, oh boy some of the other decisions by the ref were extraordinary.  The knock on by Owen from that high kick that went back,  the penalty against Bailey and the barge by Ridyard on Owen that resulted in a penalty for them being the highlights.  
a strange Dale Morton type lapse by Perry for their first try but how good was the grubber by Callum for Brads try😀?

can’t see whether the Oldham player was held up or got the ball down in that attack straight after the break.  

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

But does he jump from in touch.  Your slow mo obviously better than mine😉

1 minute ago, NickD said:

But does he jump from in touch.  Your slow mo obviously better than mine😉

Commenting on CF's post, Nick.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Carr didn’t jump, he was running and in the same motion, left foot was raised and right one in the field of play.

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Having watched the highlights still can't understand why neither of the Oldham tip tackles got a card. 

And Owen Restall being penalised for Ridyard clearly obstructing him.

And Oldham kick chasers clearly offside. It will be interesting to see the kick chase where Restall got hit high.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 14:40, Crown Flatter said:

Carr didn’t jump, he was running and in the same motion, left foot was raised and right one in the field of play.

That isn't what you posted earlier. You said that his foot was in touch.

Lots of criticism of officials on here, once again. It is reading like a St Helens forum!

We are playing in C1 because we have been rubbish for the last 3 seasons - this wasn't because of officials. Just like the players in this division the refs and tj's will be either learning their trades or fitted to the standard of the league.

If we want better officials the answer is simple - get promoted!