Toronto Wolfpack 2023 fixtures

The challenge now is to see if they can play more games in 2023, Atlanta Rhinos on Saturday supposedly but not seen anything from them confirming the game is on.

They also need to set something competitive up for 2024, there is no point running another set of meaningless friendlies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The challenge now is to see if they can play more games in 2023, Atlanta Rhinos on Saturday supposedly but not seen anything from them confirming the game is on.

They also need to set something competitive up for 2024, there is no point running another set of meaningless friendlies.

Maybe they’d be better off either joining the NE teams in the RLU or helping to create a Toronto/Ontario based comp but even then both scenarios don’t really mean many games in a ‘season’.

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Is it "meaningless" if people show up, watch some rugby, and leave happy?

There's something attractive about enjoying a game for its own sake, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Is it "meaningless" if people show up, watch some rugby, and leave happy?

There's something attractive about enjoying a game for its own sake, IMO.

Fair enough, beyond a point then. Friendlies will attract a small following, and are fine to get things started - I would have gone to the game if I lived there. However, my understanding is Toronto consider themselves to be more than just a social experience for a few people.

To help achieve attendences and income even remotely close to what they got previously the attraction of competition is a much bigger pull - and they need to do that if they are flying clubs in from the US, otherwise it's a loss making enterprise and will fail. Saturday's game will almost certainly have lost money, that cannot continue for Toronto to survive.

Edited by Whippet13

12 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

You could argue that once we get rid of P&R, games sort of become meaningless friendlies.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

You could argue that once we get rid of P&R, games sort of become meaningless friendlies.

You could argue that but it would be a bit pointless on a thread about Toronto's 2023 fixtures?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 13/08/2023 at 09:39, welshmagpie said:

Saw some crowd shots on their Instagram page. I’d be saying somewhere around 400. 

Didn’t see the whole ground however so that may be inaccurate.

My FB feed from someone who was there reckoned 600.

Ca$ 35 a ticket. (Approx. £20)

4 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

I wonder whilst there doing this 'trial season' it would be a good opportunity to tinker with the prices for tickets just to see what the optimal price for the best attendance is.

8 hours ago, dixiedean said:

7 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I wonder whilst there doing this 'trial season' it would be a good opportunity to tinker with the prices for tickets just to see what the optimal price for the best attendance is.

He may have bought tickets a while ago (suckers do exist?!)

They cut them in half to $17.50 a few weeks ago, since people were questioning the sanity of $35 for something unproven. 

On 14/08/2023 at 10:31, dixiedean said:

I imagine, much like on here, there was a degree of skepticism that the match would go ahead given recent cancellations. To pull several hundred is actually quite impressive. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I imagine, much like on here, there was a degree of skepticism that the match would go ahead given recent cancellations. To pull several hundred is actually quite impressive. 

Hopefully they can play all of the arranged matches as scheduled and word gets around and the numbers attending increases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

Hopefully they can play all of the arranged matches as scheduled and word gets around and the numbers attending increases.

What it might be is an interesting case study of interest amongst a somewhat lamen audience of the value of quality vs. relative competitiveness.

The original Wolfpack spent most of their existence rolling over travelling teams but with quality players. This incarnation might see lesser quality but more even games. Will that appeal? Can these naive crowds tell the difference much, do they care? I honestly don't know. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

56 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

What it might be is an interesting case study of interest amongst a somewhat lamen audience of the value of quality vs. relative competitiveness.

The original Wolfpack spent most of their existence rolling over travelling teams but with quality players. This incarnation might see lesser quality but more even games. Will that appeal? Can these naive crowds tell the difference much, do they care? I honestly don't know. 

Time will tell I suppose.

On 14/08/2023 at 09:04, sam4731 said:

35 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

But you digress aitch. 

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Glad you said that, just wait till IMG's process kicks in, when for a number of clubs there is nothing to play for a few months.

Excuse me but I am not having someone else taking credit for my earlier digression. Come up with an original digression or do not digression at all.

Edited by sam4731
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

If people only cared about quality then the NRL would have more viewers than Super League on Sky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)