Hunslet (A)

horbury ram

13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

It was ominous from the start, knocking on and conceding a try n the first minute. What a day to decide to play your worst game of the season and lose your first match and denying we supporters the chance to bask in the glory of winning the division undefeated.

We crossed the line about nine times, but were denied a score on six occasions (held up three times, two forward passes, one of which I thought was not forward and the last, seemingly touching down on the dead ball line). That typified our day.

Hunslet won the day, be we seem to have contrived our own downfall with a poor defence on each of their tries and on attack, barging forward, poor passing, lack of backing up and standing starts, instead of running onto the ball. We must have had 60% of the possession and wasted much of it. We had two kickable penalties, each time to draw level, but chose to run the ball and to no avail.

This defeat has been coming, we have all been aware of it, especially with performances away from home, but it is still difficult to accept nonetheless. It was definitely a team effort today!

No man of the match winner from me this time. The daft thing is we won the penalty count 5-3, but Restall’s sin binning will see him in detention when he returns to school won’t it!

Generally a single sin-bin for a minor offence with no previous poor record would result in a NFA verdict, I believe.

Your summary is an accurate reflection of the game, in my opinion, other than maybe acknowledging that Hunslet played well, especially in defence and definitely wanted it more.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

38 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

No team dominated which means Hunslet ran out deserved winners. Some of you lot are blind when it comes to our supposed playmakers. Their job is to create and it basically ain’t happening.

They were better at half back for sure but we created enough chances to win the game and as others have pointed out actually got over the line several times without luck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

It was ominous from the start, knocking on and conceding a try n the first minute. What a day to decide to play your worst game of the season and lose your first match and denying we supporters the chance to bask in the glory of winning the division undefeated.

We crossed the line about nine times, but were denied a score on six occasions (held up three times, two forward passes, one of which I thought was not forward and the last, seemingly touching down on the dead ball line). That typified our day.

Hunslet won the day, be we seem to have contrived our own downfall with a poor defence on each of their tries and on attack, barging forward, poor passing, lack of backing up and standing starts, instead of running onto the ball. We must have had 60% of the possession and wasted much of it. We had two kickable penalties, each time to draw level, but chose to run the ball and to no avail.

This defeat has been coming, we have all been aware of it, especially with performances away from home, but it is still difficult to accept nonetheless. It was definitely a team effort today!

No man of the match winner from me this time. The daft thing is we won the penalty count 5-3, but Restall’s sin binning will see him in detention when he returns to school won’t it!

That is the perfect summing up. 

Our props and second rows aren’t good enough in defence. Championship teams would cross our line far too easily so a lot to improve on.

But despite a few poor performances this is just blip, next Sunday we

will be champions! 

4 minutes ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Our props and second rows aren’t good enough in defence. Championship teams would cross our line far too easily so a lot to improve on.

will be champions! 

Yes we will, but you are also right about the forwards. 

If the pack can't dominate then you aren't going to win games at higher levels. 

I think that, as a professional coach, LF will understand this better than I do and his chosen squad for next year, within the parameters he is set by the management, will be designed to meet the challenges posed by Championship rugby.

If this season is to have any meaning we must go up and stay up. Nobody wants to be a yo-yo side. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

will be champions! 

Agree and it has been noticeable how much more we have struggled in this area since we lost Fergie.   We haven't dominated many games at all since his injury.  All well and good knowing what's wrong but will our budget stretch to two or three Fergies??    Nope...Im afraid.

I was keener than anyone to drop down to League 1 and boy, Ive enjoyed winning, but the penalty of getting promotion is that we will be back to square one..LOL...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NickD said:

Agree and it has been noticeable how much more we have struggled in this area since we lost Fergie.   We haven't dominated many games at all since his injury.  All well and good knowing what's wrong but will our budget stretch to two or three Fergies??    Nope...Im afraid.

I was keener than anyone to drop down to League 1 and boy, Ive enjoyed winning, but the penalty of getting promotion is that we will be back to square one..LOL...

Oh woe, oh woe, oh thrice woe!

(One for the old folk.)

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, STEVE P said:

Yes we will, but you are also right about the forwards. 

If the pack can't dominate then you aren't going to win games at higher levels. 

He'll have the same issue when arrives at Fax 😉

Looking forward to your promotion and our 4 points next season

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Where do I begin..... As Andy Williams once sang🤔

Yesterday's result has been coming for many weeks, a handful of killer performance's all season, peppered with poor performance's, we should have lost at Oldham, we certainty should have lost against Midlands, Run close by Cornwall, fairly lucky at Workington (a tale of 2 tries, one given, and one not given that could have changed the result) fortunate against Hunslet at home and could have gone either way, one stand out performance against Rochdale away, pinnacle performance didn't actually give us any points that was home against Widnes in the cup, we simply cannot play away, some kind of psychological block, is it because our field is narrow and makes defending a little easier?? Yes this season is all about getting out of the graveyard and back to the championship, that's the aim, and we're almost there... We will win against workington because I'd like to think a wounded animal mentality will spread thru the team, everybody was let down yesterday, the players, the fans, the coaching staff, people who graft very hard for the club.. All of us... And it's for the 17 who put the shirt on need to prove we are the best team in that division, now the criticism.. Won't name players as that would be unfair and achieve nothing, we have a ineffective pack in defence, and got rolled over a few times yesterday, we have  ineffective halfbacks playing behind ineffective pack (recipe for disaster if your pack doesn't dominate games you can't expect the halfbacks to prosper) the only time yesterday there was any urgency was in the last 5 minutes a scrum where they actually woke up and realised they wasn't going to pinch the game like Midlands and Oldham in the last minute,we have for many games gone behind early.. Yesterday was the same, try to Hunslet in the first couple of minutes (have to say I thought Campbell grounded the ball with his arm on the in goal touchline) we got suckered yesterday by a more savvy team, slowed the game down when defending, then speeded up when they attacked.. And we couldn't cope with that.. And neither could the flagging forward defence, we seem to have the attitude "you score 4 we'll score 5 in thd 80 minutes" yesterday.... We didnt so let's put that to bed because it don't work, there's lads in the team who try, try, try and others seem to be filling a shirt, I'm sure even if we go up the nucleus of the team will be picked from us, leaving us weaker in a stronger division... Oh that will be fun won't it🤔

One player yesterday really struggled with the speed of the game, I don't know if he was injured, not feeling well or had simply been out on the ###### the night before... We will never know for the uncharacteristic performance. 

One man rugby seems to be creeping back into our game 

And Dewsbury fans had quite enough of that in the Morrison/Greenwood days

We seem a bit predictable, 4 tackles of driving it in without any line breaks, then a kick usually to Graham or straight down the throat of the winger/fullback again needs mixing up from time to time

I could rattle on for hours but it won't change anything. 

We will win next week because we are playing the weakest of the top 4 teams in the division. 

The unbeaten target is off our backs now.. But everybody will still want to beat us. 

I'm just glad we don't have to go to Doncaster to win.. Hopefully after Sunday it will be a dead rubber. 

I really do hope at the end of next season we've not lost any clubs, and the championship and League 1 are merged to take pressure off the chairmen of these historic clubs, and all in 1 division the spectre of relegation is gone and clubs can relax knowing they've Derby games to look forward to, more games, and a chance for the fans of each clubs to get together with each other just like the good old days of the sport. 

We shall see ❤️🤞❤️🤞❤️🤞

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

He'll have the same issue when arrives at Fax 😉

Looking forward to your promotion and our 4 points next season

Yes. Will we meet your new owners then?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NickD said:

Mate I love Fergie to bits and as a highly paid off the bench impact player he gets in my 17 every week. But please stop being disrespectful to all the regular starting blokes who have got us to where we currently are! Love you Fergie pal but through no fault of your own we have not been blessed with much of your playing presence. As a previous poster stated somewhere a costly comodative rather than a necessity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coolie said:

Where do I begin..... As Andy Williams once sang🤔

Yesterday's result has been coming for many weeks, a handful of killer performance's all season, peppered with poor performance's, we should have lost at Oldham, we certainty should have lost against Midlands, Run close by Cornwall, fairly lucky at Workington (a tale of 2 tries, one given, and one not given that could have changed the result) fortunate against Hunslet at home and could have gone either way, one stand out performance against Rochdale away, pinnacle performance didn't actually give us any points that was home against Widnes in the cup, we simply cannot play away, some kind of psychological block, is it because our field is narrow and makes defending a little easier?? Yes this season is all about getting out of the graveyard and back to the championship, that's the aim, and we're almost there... We will win against workington because I'd like to think a wounded animal mentality will spread thru the team, everybody was let down yesterday, the players, the fans, the coaching staff, people who graft very hard for the club.. All of us... And it's for the 17 who put the shirt on need to prove we are the best team in that division, now the criticism.. Won't name players as that would be unfair and achieve nothing, we have a ineffective pack in defence, and got rolled over a few times yesterday, we have  ineffective halfbacks playing behind ineffective pack (recipe for disaster if your pack doesn't dominate games you can't expect the halfbacks to prosper) the only time yesterday there was any urgency was in the last 5 minutes a scrum where they actually woke up and realised they wasn't going to pinch the game like Midlands and Oldham in the last minute,we have for many games gone behind early.. Yesterday was the same, try to Hunslet in the first couple of minutes (have to say I thought Campbell grounded the ball with his arm on the in goal touchline) we got suckered yesterday by a more savvy team, slowed the game down when defending, then speeded up when they attacked.. And we couldn't cope with that.. And neither could the flagging forward defence, we seem to have the attitude "you score 4 we'll score 5 in thd 80 minutes" yesterday.... We didnt so let's put that to bed because it don't work, there's lads in the team who try, try, try and others seem to be filling a shirt, I'm sure even if we go up the nucleus of the team will be picked from us, leaving us weaker in a stronger division... Oh that will be fun won't it🤔

One player yesterday really struggled with the speed of the game, I don't know if he was injured, not feeling well or had simply been out on the ###### the night before... We will never know for the uncharacteristic performance. 

One man rugby seems to be creeping back into our game 

And Dewsbury fans had quite enough of that in the Morrison/Greenwood days

We seem a bit predictable, 4 tackles of driving it in without any line breaks, then a kick usually to Graham or straight down the throat of the winger/fullback again needs mixing up from time to time

I could rattle on for hours but it won't change anything. 

We will win next week because we are playing the weakest of the top 4 teams in the division. 

The unbeaten target is off our backs now.. But everybody will still want to beat us. 

I'm just glad we don't have to go to Doncaster to win.. Hopefully after Sunday it will be a dead rubber. 

I really do hope at the end of next season we've not lost any clubs, and the championship and League 1 are merged to take pressure off the chairmen of these historic clubs, and all in 1 division the spectre of relegation is gone and clubs can relax knowing they've Derby games to look forward to, more games, and a chance for the fans of each clubs to get together with each other just like the good old days of the sport. 

We shall see ❤️🤞❤️🤞❤️🤞

You are just understandably hurting at the moment. Time for cool heads right know. To be in the position we are right now means we must have been doing something right. Yes we have been very scrappy and unconvincing at times. I could call certain players out and post loads of detailed negatives. As I accept I have on here in the past. However I have decided to be in a reflective mood and all those boys and girls(Female doctor and staff members) need us right now. Let’s get there this Sunday and get these guys home.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

You are just understandably hurting at the moment. Time for cool heads right know. To be in the position we are right now means we must have been doing something right. Yes we have been very scrappy and unconvincing at times. I could call certain players out and post loads of detailed negatives. As I accept I have on here in the past. However I have decided to be in a reflective mood and all those boys and girls(Female doctor and staff members) need us right now. Let’s get there this Sunday and get these guys home.

Absolutely spot on. Let’s move on now to the Workington game where a win will see us over the line. I’m sure the coaching staff and the players will be working hard in training and focusing on the game. 

Despite all the self pity and grumbling on here over the last two days (including from me 😀) it’s worth remembering that we have lost one game all season and have, at times, played superbly.  
Can’t agree with some of the comments about our defence.   Think that’s been a strength over the season as shown by the league table.  178 points against is way better than anyone else.  Think too that our forwards have generally dominated other packs, maybe just struggling to get the offloads in in recent games?

we should beat Workington but nerves might make it tighter than we’d like.  If we don’t we will def beat Donny away.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Absolutely spot on. Let’s move on now to the Workington game where a win will see us over the line. I’m sure the coaching staff and the players will be working hard in training and focusing on the game. 

Correct 

No point crying over spilt milk

That game is gone, and the result cannot be changed. 

I'm a 110% confident we will win Sunday, all the wrongs will be put right, unbeaten on our home patch, and got the worst team out of thd top 5 coming who haven't beaten any team above them home or away. Yes a nervous performance is only expected, 

We'll be right..... 

Don't panic.... 

If we don't let the opposition score first. 

Get our line defence back to what it was at the start of the season. 

Don't give penalties away in possession. 

And control the next set of 6 after scoring. 

18+ victory will be achieved. 

Look you already feel better now about Sunday.... Don't you ❤️

• Like 1

We lost away to a side that's second in the table and has a good mix of youth & experience which, like probably every other team we've played this season, wanted to put one over on us ..... The injury to Carr pulled Graham out of the forwards (and he's been one of our most consistent this year) and meant that for a large part of the game we had both Day and Butterworth out on the park ......... Both damned good players but too similar and that, IMO, affected the cohesion.

We couldn't find enough ways through a very committed and determined defence that was fighting tooth and nail and, in that respect, boy did we miss Fergie ....... as we have done in every game since his injury.

We're also in a silly period of the season where we haven't been playing regularly - we were poor against NWC after 2 weekends off, definitely better against Hunslet despite the result and I expect us to be on top of our game on Sunday to finish the Home campaign .......... then it's a THREE week wait before Doncaster -- Ludicrous situation !!

We played our best Rugby earlier in the season when games were on a regular weekly basis with a mix of League and Challenge Cup games ....... culminating in that stunning performance against Widnes.

We need to protect the Coaching set-up we have and back them going in to the Championship in 2024.....

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

We need to protect the Coaching set-up we have and back them going in to the Championship in 2024.....

Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. 

For me The fear is not losing Liam because he's one of us, and people have aspirations which you should never surpress or dampen 

But the fear is greater for who we would get as his replacement, who could fill the void if he does go to Halifax. 

His one job this season was to get us back in the championship, come Sunday at 4.45pm it will be job done as promised by Liam👏👏👏👏

Whether there is an announcement or not we thank him and the Coaching team for their efforts this season and securing us as Champions... Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

Well ......... Stuart Littler, Simon Grix and Darryl Powell are all available (seemingly) if we need to go looking 

(which I hope and pray we don't !!)  

Adolf Littler was said to be going to Widnes, sudden U-Turn this morning by thd Cheshire club that they are after Swintons coach... So we shall see, Grix is Hull bound to be Smiths assistant, I wonder if Daryl Powell will gravitate back towards Castleford to help them stay up, Riley Dean been recalled by Warrington from Castleford 

2 teams with the guided missiles doom heading in their direction

Castleford 

Keighley 

Both nailed on for the drop🤔

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Mate I love Fergie to bits and as a highly paid off the bench impact player he gets in my 17 every week. But please stop being disrespectful to all the regular starting blokes who have got us to where we currently are! Love you Fergie pal but through no fault of your own we have not been blessed with much of your playing presence. As a previous poster stated somewhere a costly comodative rather than a necessity.

Can’t see that anything I said was disrespectful to the current lads.   Said we ain’t been the same since Ferguson was injured and we ain’t.   He is our best forward so we’re gunna miss him.    Would saying Man City weren’t quite as good without Haarland be disrespectful or just stating an obvious fact?

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Can’t see that anything I said was disrespectful to the current lads.   Said we ain’t been the same since Ferguson was injured and we ain’t.   He is our best forward so we’re gunna miss him.    Would saying Man City weren’t quite as good without Haarland be disrespectful or just stating an obvious fact?

Harland generally plays big minutes and to be fair he is younger and no doubt fitter than Fergie or at least he should be with all the pampered facilities at his disposal.

Like I said earlier I love Fergie to bits and he is brilliant for us in short impactive spells. I am definitely hoping he can make the 17 this week however not to the cost or detriment of his future health. 

If relaxing on a wooden bench for usually 50 of the 80 mins of a game constitutes being our best forward then fair enough. Granted if this was a court case mitigating factors in his favour would be his age.

Now if you were to have described him as being our best impactive, team morale boosting, crowd uplifting, opposition terrorising forward well you would be bang on the money.

After all that my point was that some of our other forwards have been putting in 80 min graft every week and played a massive part in getting us to where we are.

• Like 2