Can new leadership at the French Rugby League use the success of Catalans Dragons to raise the profile of the sport across the whole of France?

Until there is a concord between the RFL and FFRXIII over French part ownership and participation in the top flight European competitions, this will never be balanced imo. Catalans, and Toulouse, sit as separately from the FFR as Leeds or Wigan do from the RFL. 

Why don't we have a serious, long term French broadcast deal? Why don't we have dispensations for English pro teams signing French players? Why did Toulouse have to fund away teams travel to their ground? 

It's a glaring unresolved issue for the sport that Catalans succeed in spite of. 

Edit: I'd add that I think this is the case for any non-English team in the league. Wales should be included if we want Welsh pro sides for example.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Normally 2 backs and 5 French in the pack some matches 9 French starters 

Plenty young ones in the wings

I’m all for giving the young French players a shot mate , especially over some of the overseas players stealing a living at the dragons past and present.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Cloud Cuckko Land 

What FRL needs is for federation to concentrate on the traditional areas and support to clubs and places where the game was once strong.

Having teams like Villefrance Carpentras and Salon back in Elite 1 would be a start.

Internationals can be taken to new areas and if someone then starts a new club then it's a win win.

Its amazing already the talent that is generated from some clubs especially in Provence who have provided the majority of the Dragons French players.

Paul

I was over in the Vaucluse last week - beautiful cycling (and wine!) through the Luberon and surrounds - and was very pleasantly surprised by the number of towns and villages that have a RL presence. I knew about Avignon, Carpentras, Cavaillon obviously, but lots of other places with clubs, or at lease junior sections. 

As ever with rugby league, the issue is finding a way to maximise that interest.

• Like 4

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Just now, nadera78 said:

I was over in the Vaucluse last week - beautiful cycling (and wine!) through the Luberon and surrounds - and was very pleasantly surprised by the number of towns and villages that have a RL presence. I knew about Avignon, Carpentras, Cavaillon obviously, but lots of other places with clubs, or at lease junior sections. 

As ever with rugby league, the issue is finding a way to maximise that interest.

And to have that interest in a place that is commercially viable for a professional outfit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Havenlad80 said:

No mate. I’m happy with all of them thanks.

So what do you want?  The choice is straightforward and uncondutional.

Do you want Catalans in SL or not? No "if", no "but" 

Yes...or no?

Disclosure: I am not your mate.

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

Well, didnt take long for this to turn into a Catalans bashing thread, amazed nobody has mentioned their lack of away fans and the Wembley crowd yet.

French RL needs a clear plan to consolidate and grow. From what I can see there is no sign of one, and the article doesn't convince me anything is in the pipeline, either with or without Catalans included.

• Like 1

In response to the title question.

1. Yes it can.

2. No it won't.

My experience of  RL in France from when I lived and worked there 1999 to 2004/5 was that of a sport not quite at war with itself, somewhat disorganised, not very well supported/ promoted by the clubs and still suffering discrimination and obstruction from rugby union. 

I'd like to think things have improved significantly in the last 18 years and respect the up-to- date experience of others on the spot. However, I suspect that the French Federation will not be able to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

In response to the title question.

1. Yes it can.

2. No it won't.

My experience of  RL in France from when I lived and worked there 1999 to 2004/5 was that of a sport not quite at war with itself, somewhat disorganised, not very well supported/ promoted by the clubs and still suffering discrimination and obstruction from rugby union. 

I'd like to think things have improved significantly in the last 18 years and respect the up-to- date experience of others on the spot. However, I suspect that the French Federation will not be able to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

The answer to both questions is No.

Perpignan is a smallish town so chances are that most Frenchmen don't rate it, plus the Dragons' identity isn't French but Catalan. Add to that a steady diet of matches against teams from smallish English towns most Frenchmen have never heard of and it's clear that there's not much there for someone to work with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

So what do you want?  The choice is straightforward and uncondutional.

Do you want Catalans in SL or not? No "if", no "but" 

Yes...or no?

Disclosure: I am not your mate.

I want Catalans in super league with a greater emphasis placed on the development of French born players in their starting 17 and overall squad with a limited overseas quota but if their team is going to be stacked full of non French born players then it’s a big no from me.

also there’s no need to throw your toys out of your pram by being a snowflake  as I was just trying to be civil using the word mate.

Edited by Havenlad80

Things are getting worse over here, a few lower division teams are pulling out due to lack of numbers, Avignon still don't have an under 19s team, they're trying to work with Carpentras, (who managed to get  a very good team but by merging with three other clubs including a team from Lyon) 

St Gaudens are trying but don't have an U19s elite team, 

A lot of players are  retiring from elite 1 and alot of the younger players are not good enough yet, (not playing for almost two seasons in the youth teams because of COVID is now taking hold) 

Yes there's a new team emerging in nice, a few of the elite teams are signing ex union players but playing numbers are still dropping, the number of injuries in the u17s this season was unbelievable, their season was stop start all year due to lack of teams (3 regional poules of 4 or 5 meant games where  really spread out over the season).

The federation are trying but the game is getting to the pont where no matter what you do it's going to really struggle.

The Catalan affect is fine in Perpignan but France is a big country, would a successful handball team in Birmingham excite the Cumbrian people and get them start playing or follow handball, it would excite the handball community/players but that's all. 

Would TV companies give lots of money to  start showing handball if Leeds had a great handball team playing in the French leagues?  

Edited by barnyia
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

I want Catalans in super league with a greater emphasis placed on the development of French born players in their starting 17 and overall squad with a limited overseas quota but if their team is going to be stacked full of non French born players then it’s a big no from me.

also there’s no need to throw your toys out of your pram by being a snowflake  as I was just trying to be civil using the word mate.

It would be interesting to see how many French are playing for uk clubs, to balance whether French pro clubs are developing players.  After that, you have elite and also Pole espoirs developing them.

Secondly, what is the level of homegrown players, per club, in our 3 pro leagues?    Or, how many first teams don’t have local lads or lasses playing in them?

I see Haven had 3 French playing for them last year.  Le Cam, Rouge and Jouffret in 2021.

Edited by Lowdesert
  • Thanks 1

There's springer, cozza and Lacans at featherstone, jouffret and larroyer at Halifax.

The odd loan signing from the Catalans but that's all the players I can think of. 

Quite a few French players are keen to play in the UK but visas are a massive problem now. 

4 minutes ago, barnyia said:

There's springer, cozza and Lacans at featherstone, jouffret and larroyer at Halifax.

The odd loan signing from the Catalans but that's all the players I can think of. 

Quite a few French players are keen to play in the UK but visas are a massive problem now. 

I think a few non French have come from elite teams into the British league over the years and seem to remember a Fijian? coming across this year as well.

there is a French lad from Albi with Hull fc reserves

Edited by Lowdesert

7 hours ago, barnyia said:

Things are getting worse over here, a few lower division teams are pulling out due to lack of numbers, Avignon still don't have an under 19s team, they're trying to work with Carpentras, (who managed to get  a very good team but by merging with three other clubs including a team from Lyon) 

St Gaudens are trying but don't have an U19s elite team, 

A lot of players are  retiring from elite 1 and alot of the younger players are not good enough yet, (not playing for almost two seasons in the youth teams because of COVID is now taking hold) 

Yes there's a new team emerging in nice, a few of the elite teams are signing ex union players but playing numbers are still dropping, the number of injuries in the u17s this season was unbelievable, their season was stop start all year due to lack of teams (3 regional poules of 4 or 5 meant games where  really spread out over the season).

The federation are trying but the game is getting to the pont where no matter what you do it's going to really struggle.

The Catalan affect is fine in Perpignan but France is a big country, would a successful handball team in Birmingham excite the Cumbrian people and get them start playing or follow handball, it would excite the handball community/players but that's all. 

Would TV companies give lots of money to  start showing handball if Leeds had a great handball team playing in the French leagues?  

The point about not playing for 2 seasons is a very valid one Barnyia and not something that many would think about.

I go from optimism to depression, Luc was a breath of fresh air at the time however his dreams were never practical what the game needs in France is a total re-boot of the traditional clubs and areas with a big emphasis on youth.

Paul

• Like 2