Leigh to stage a game in PNG?

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

To be fair, it does say it's a lawless hellhole but it only advises against all but essential to two provinces. Which, given how it describes the bits it says you can go to, paints a pretty terrifying picture of those two provinces.

And to think some are still fantasising about a PNG team in the NRL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Could always play pre-season games in the South of France, or perhaps even have a pre-season 9's tournament there.

The government's advice on travelling to the EU seems altogether more relaxed and positive - despite Brexit - so you may have a point, TFIL.  I particularly liked the bit entitled "Taking your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad"!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Didn't you have Leigh relegated pre season ?

He who laughs last, laughs longest. 

• Like 1

In terms of doing the most good for Rugby League (worldwide) I'd urge any club, that has the wherewithal and fancies a tour, to go to the United States.

A successful league competition and a competitive International USA team would give the game a huge boost. 

I'm really glad the NRL are doing the Las Vegas promotion and hope it sparks a renewed interest in our game and gives the USARL some new member clubs.

The game (us) could really do with a credible USA. 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

In terms of doing the most good for Rugby League (worldwide) I'd urge any club, that has the wherewithal and fancies a tour, to go to the United States.

A successful league competition and a competitive International USA team would give the game a huge boost. 

I'm really glad the NRL are doing the Las Vegas promotion and hope it sparks a renewed interest in our game and gives the USARL some new member clubs.

The game (us) could really do with a credible USA. 

Haven't we tried Florida before for pre-season games, and I'm not sure how successful that was?

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wonder what a PNG bus spotter looks like? Can't be any weirder than those blokes hanging out outside Wembley on Challenge Cup final day. 

I reckon they'd look like one of those middle aged men stood with all the kids at players entrances waiting for a selfie/autograph.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Already sorted Daz, unlike WHL Wembley facilitates for many travelling coaches.

Answered for Gubrats, as he can't come to play at the moment.

Think you're on the wrong thread but if not i'm glad to hear it's not gonna be some industrial park on the outskirts of Goroka then.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Haven't we tried Florida before for pre-season games, and I'm not sure how successful that was?

If i remember correctly it was a bit of a whitewash. I think it was done, without any real purpose, without any well defined goal in mind and no follow up of any kind, to try and establish a sustainable presence there.

I don't really know what the NRL's agenda is in Las Vegas but I'm assuming, in the short term, it's about raising financial backing/interest in the NRL, probably through online gambling perhaps.

I sincerely hope that they keep up a sustained effort with the long term aim of promoting the sport over there with a view to establishing a quality competition (ulimtately a pro competition) for the benefit of the World game.

It remains to be seen whether they have the ambition and the stamina to see that kind of vision through but if I was going to spend some money (anywhere) in the world, to establish our game, it would be in the USA.

If it's done right, the potential returns for the game as a whole could be immense. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Yes, SL clubs have been to Florida for pre season games and I think the Rabbitohs played against SL opposition.

The big difference is that the NRL double-header in Vegas is for competition points in the NRL opening round.  The investment - and I don’t know who is paying for this - is apparently $200 million for games to be held in Vegas up to 2028.  The double-header is to be played in the 65,000 capacity home of the NFL Las Vegas Raiders so you will be able to see how many people turn up to watch.

• Like 2