Will Liam Finn Go?

RugbyPowelly

What’s everyone’s opinions?

Liam has brought discipline and good tactics to the club and proven himself as a top class rugby coach.

Do you think he will venture to pastures new next season after proving himself at Dewsbury or do you think he’ll use this opportunity as a springboard to coach a ‘bigger’ club.

I would think Halifax is likely.

Shame that he has gone but at least it gives the new coach a full pre-season. 

Think it would be a big ask for Paul Sykes to become Head Coach to try and keep a promoted side in the Championship. We need a proven coach if at all possible.

Whilst there were some very good performances like Widnes at home, there were some very mediocre ones like away at Cornwall and Midlands. He should do well with Halifax and a top end Championship squad. 

Hopefully Finn and the squad can sign off with a win at Doncaster.

• Like 1

Probably more worried about who he might poach?     Was bad when Ned took half the team to Widnes.   I suspect Fax have enough Championship proven players but would t be surprised if we don’t lose a couple at least to Fax. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyram said:

Official from both clubs on their social media outlets 

I think that Halifax have jumped the gun, forcing us to make a statement.

Considering that the season is continuing for many clubs it will be difficult for us to recruit at present - some coaches/assistants will likely want to see what happens at their present clubs as they may be pushing for promotion or anticipating a reshuffle. The only ones who might actually be available will be those who are already without a post and whether they are attractive recruits will be difficult to tell.

What might, rightly, be said is that our recruitment of coaches hasn't been brilliant over the years so I would hope that we can find a different approach to finding our next one. A tricky task - I'm glad that I'm not doing it.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Seems a slightly strange move this. Dewsbury top their league, Halifax win at Wembley.. you would think both dressing rooms would be pretty buoyant. Bad time to lose your coach and a lot of goodwill will be lost.

We've seen some good players emerge this season and I was looking forward to seeing them develop in the Championship. It feels like Finn is leaving the job half done as he hasn't fully proved his credentials yet.

Feel quite flat about this season right now. Hope Finn isn't coaching us against Doncaster. The Championship seems a very daunting place again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Probably more worried about who he might poach?     Was bad when Ned took half the team to Widnes.   I suspect Fax have enough Championship proven players but would t be surprised if we don’t lose a couple at least to Fax. 

Even if Liam was staying it is always likely that some players would be lost - it always happens. At least if Fev get promoted they shouldn't be knocking on our door, for once. There are certainly at least five players that I could think of who will be being targeted by other clubs and a couple who are likely to move on or retire. The squad will need to be rebuilt significantly on what IO anticipate to be a limited budget.

I also suspect that quite a few Championship clubs will be operating on more limited budgets in 2024. Promotion from the Championship won't be achieved simply by topping the league - a host of other factors will play a part - and clubs will be looking at how best to use their resources for short-term and longer-term benefits.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Seems a slightly strange move this. Dewsbury top their league, Halifax win at Wembley.. you would think both dressing rooms would be pretty buoyant. Bad time to lose your coach and a lot of goodwill will be lost.

We've seen some good players emerge this season and I was looking forward to seeing them develop in the Championship. It feels like Finn is leaving the job half done as he hasn't fully proved his credentials yet.

Feel quite flat about this season right now. Hope Finn isn't coaching us against Doncaster. The Championship seems a very daunting place again.

He has as far as Fax are concerned. Why would he not take up a 3 year FT contract with his home town club that he has supported most of his life?

Grix announced weeks ago that he was leaving at the end of the season and it hasn't affected their players morale. Sportsmen have a much shorter-term outlook than supporters - their careers can end suddenly so they have to take advantage of every opportunity that comes their way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RugbyPowelly said:

I hear Turner, Beckett and Restall will be going with Finn to Halifax.

If it stays like that I’d take it, we were always going to lose some.

Why would restall go to be 3rd choice fullback after Pickersgill and Woodburn-Hall?? 

Turner is nowhere the mark to be a first choice halfback at Halifax. 

Beckett would have to play a different role in a team that have some half decent forwards. 

If these players do go to Halifax 

Good luck to them, they've completed a job here which we are grateful 👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coolie said:

Why would restall go to be 3rd choice fullback after Pickersgill and Woodburn-Hall?? 

Turner is nowhere the mark to be a first choice halfback at Halifax. 

Beckett would have to play a different role in a team that have some half decent forwards. 

If these players do go to Halifax 

Good luck to them, they've completed a job here which we are grateful 👏👏👏👏

What saddens me most is that we will not see the evolution and development of what was looking like a squad with potential to really grow! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

What saddens me most is that we will not see the evolution and development of what was looking like a squad with potential to really grow! 

Why won't we?

Who is declared to be leaving?

We have just won the first thing in years and all we are getting is doom and gloom. Can't you allow some of us to enjoy the moment before adopting this stance?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.S9re-AaAdE449pLCWH-sawHaFV%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=9dda1cd33ba125e5699b3287de07b07b2873c1b3c93f2cddab69a021ba7a512d&ipo=images

14 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

The coach!!! 

Exactly. Yet folk are already listing players who they have decided will be departing.

7 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

I hear Turner, Beckett and Restall will be going with Finn to Halifax.

If it stays like that I’d take it, we were always going to lose some.

How sad.  Three of our best to a club that probably doesn’t need em really.