Oldham on Sunday…more than just two points

Anita Bath

Got to be our biggest game of the season….play offs on the line.

In more than 150 years of rugby I don't think we have ever gone through a season winless against teams from Lancashire, Yorkshire and Cumberland/Cumbria. It would be nice to preserve that record with a win against the noisy neighbours.

Should be a good crowd with both teams desperate for the points.

Come on Hornets!

This week, after 150 years, rugby league commenced its change with all clubs given IMG scores (based “historically”).

“As such, the numbers given to clubs at present are not the be all and end all and certainly do not reflect the grades that clubs could get ahead of the 2024 season.

The numbers that will matter will come when the information from this season is collated and included – features which  include league positions, cup wins (if applicable), finances, attendances and community work.

That information will be shared with clubs after the 2023 season finishes with grades given to clubs on the back of that.

Those grades will then be publicised later in the year, but, even then, those grades will be indicative given the fact thatj there will still be promotion and relegation for 2023 with a view to the 2024 season.”

This season is the last of traditional promotion and relegation. in all three divisions.  Illustrative “grades” will be announced for 2024 and fully implemented for 2025 (and reassessed annually).  Presumably, any promotion/relegation in 2025 will not be determined solely by on-field performance!

Continuing on-field rivalry with our neighbours in 2024 will of course depend on Sunday’s match, the 2023 play-offs and presumably with any future cup ties.

Best wishes for a great crowd on Sunday and of course a superb Hornets victory.

Edited by glemiln

It's a local derby. It's a lottery. Whoever wants it most will come out on top.
Oldham are fudding themselves daft that the return of Mike Ford is the catalyst to return to their rightful place in the top half of Super League.

Let's see what sort of a job the former Belgian kick and clap coach has done with his charges.

It's all up for grabs. Two points. Bragging rights. Playoffs. Expect fireworks.

Light the fuse and stand well back.

• Haha 1

Commiserations. You were by far the better side for the whole of the match. We never got started, or should I say you wouldn't let us. I feel it was the wake up call we needed going into the playoffs.

Sport is a cruel game and you didn't deserve to lose the way you did.

All the best for next season.

• Like 1

Very cruel to lose in the final minute today in what unfolded as a great contest (via social media).  A near 1400 gate too!  Hope those players involved in the clash of heads are ok.   It was great to see that some of the class of 2013 were in attendance, unfortunately not with the same Hornets’ victory.  Good luck to the Biffs on their play-offs; although I think they could miss our company!  

Now for Gary to revive the bodies/minds and conjure quickly another team to meet Skolars on Wednesday night at the Crown, then for the surf & turf at Cornwall next Sunday Bank holiday lunchtime.  Hopefully we will ensure finishing the season on a high with a view to next season.

• Like 1

Unlucky today, i thought the best team lost. We put them under pressure in the second half and should have walked away with the win. This week and last week results could have easily gone the other way and that is a positive going into next season, a strong end to the season is what we are looking for. What hurt us this year is that we are lacking a few old heads in the squad and we need to fill those positions before next season. One thing that hasn't been lacking is our want to win and if we can get some more experienced players to run the game we will be in a good position next year.

What is the story on Hornets first try?  All media outlets have it scored by Roden but looking at twitter (X) Else seems to be claiming it. Is there an official ruling?

Also who was named 18th man? Other clubs include 18th man in announced line ups but we never do…at least on X.

10 hours ago, Top hornet said:

Sion Jones was 18th man and rodin was the scorer

XXX

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Hornets were by far the better team and sport can be cruel when you lose on the final pass of a game.

I feel if the Hornets can hang on to that squad of players they should be there or there abouts next season.

Commiserations and all the best for next season and I hope we meet again in the Championship in a couple of seasons.

38 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Hornets were by far the better team and sport can be cruel when you lose on the final pass of a game.

I feel if the Hornets can hang on to that squad of players they should be there or there abouts next season.

Commiserations and all the best for next season and I hope we meet again in the Championship in a couple of seasons.

Possibly because both teams might go up next season.