Masters Rugby League

gogledd

Is there a relevant area to discuss Masters RL?

I wanted to say THANK YOU and well done to all those involved in organising the National Masters RL Festival in Blackpool on Saturday 9th September. 6 pitches with 6 games on each pitch takes some time and effort to sort out, then there is the food and drink in Blackpool Cricket Club after the game. Hats off to those who helped make it a fantastic event.

Edited by gogledd
typos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gogledd said:

Is there a relevent are to discuss Masters RL?

I wanted to say THANK YOU and well done to all those involved in organising the National Masters RL Festival in Blackpool on Saturday 9th Spetember. 6 pitches with 6 games on each pitch takes some time and effort to sort out, then there is the food and drink in Blackpool Cricket Club after the game. Hats off to those who helped make it a fantastic event.

Oggy & the other Blackpool lads always put on a good show 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I just wish i'd known about it inadvance. I would  have loved to gone along and spent the day there. 

Heres a heads up...Next year its on 7th September!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really admire the Masters RL players. RL is such a brutal game. I remember watching a Sth Sydney Juniors A Grade match one Sunday afternoon about ten years ago, thinking that the few blokes which looked nearly 40, running around out there playing first grade amateurs, getting belted, must be mental. Then I recalled how many older (yet fit) lads I had seen in NCL Premier in years gone by.

I made a call then that any person aged in their 30s or later who plays first grade RL without getting paid handsomely for it, is either the most passionate person in the world, or quite simply has rocks in his head. Especially with work to go to the next day.

Then I recalled I played my last and only game of seniors in 2012, in my 30s, having not played a game of RL since I was 14, I realised I must have rocks in my head 😂

Would love to have a run around at Masters RL but my knees and shoulder wouldn’t handle it.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Hopefully something we can aim for next year, now we’ve just got started! , … 

Best of luck to you all. I hope to see you at Blackpool if not before at one of the other Masters Festivals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I really admire the Masters RL players. RL is such a brutal game. I remember watching a Sth Sydney Juniors A Grade match one Sunday afternoon about ten years ago, thinking that the few blokes which looked nearly 40, running around out there playing first grade amateurs, getting belted, must be mental. Then I recalled how many older (yet fit) lads I had seen in NCL Premier in years gone by.

I made a call then that any person aged in their 30s or later who plays first grade RL without getting paid handsomely for it, is either the most passionate person in the world, or quite simply has rocks in his head. Especially with work to go to the next day.

Then I recalled I played my last and only game of seniors in 2012, in my 30s, having not played a game of RL since I was 14, I realised I must have rocks in my head 😂

Would love to have a run around at Masters RL but my knees and shoulder wouldn’t handle it.

Why is a South Sydney Juniors A Grade game is played on a Sunday afternoon when the NRL is on..I thought these matches were played on a traditional Saturday afternoon ?

3 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Why is a South Sydney Juniors A Grade game is played on a Sunday afternoon when the NRL is on..I thought these matches were played on a traditional Saturday afternoon ?

Isn't NRL played all weekend?  Probably difficult to avoid all clashes

8 hours ago, EggFace said:

traditionally in Sydney, grassroots AFL and Rugby on Saturdays, RL on Sundays. It’s the way it’s always been.

On 14/09/2023 at 20:12, Sports Prophet said:

I started playing at 33. My first ever game was 36°c and I copped a horrible crusher tackle where my forehead hit my groin. 

Just finished my 5th season. Not sure if I'll go again. I'm playing with guys who's parents I went to school with. 

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

I started playing at 33. My first ever game was 36°c and I copped a horrible crusher tackle where my forehead hit my groin. 

Just finished my 5th season. Not sure if I'll go again. I'm playing with guys who's parents I went to school with. 

You really are crazy P 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

So you started underage 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2023 at 13:05, Pulga said:

You're a spring chicken....I'm in my fourth full season (had some gaps in between season 1 and season 2) age 64!  Just back from a weekend in Ireland playing for Wales Masters. I absolutely love it.

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gogledd said:

You're a spring chicken....I'm in my fourth full season (had some gaps in between season 1 and season 2) age 64!  Just back from a weekend in Ireland playing for Wales Masters. I absolutely love it.

Love it mate. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg