Rumours re signings at London Broncos 2024

2 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Thing is, if the Broncos do get promoted, there us no relegation next year. They've got a full year of trying to get enough IMG points which will be easier in SL.

They would have to have a helluva year next year to get enough IMG points.

With their league position, crowds, stadium utilisation, etc over three years (two of them in championship), it will be really difficult to even finish above Wakefield (who will have two years with the benefits of SL to London's one).

My guess is that if Toulouse get promoted this year, they stand a chance of staying up under the IMG system. If it is Fev, Bradford or London, they have next to no chance. Wakefield have to be favourites to get more points than the promoted club.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

They would have to have a helluva year next year to get enough IMG points.

With their league position, crowds, stadium utilisation, etc over three years (two of them in championship), it will be really difficult to even finish above Wakefield (who will have two years with the benefits of SL to London's one).

My guess is that if Toulouse get promoted this year, they stand a chance of staying up under the IMG system. If it is Fev, Bradford or London, they have next to no chance. Wakefield have to be favourites to get more points than the promoted club.

I'd say Wakey are nailed on 

49 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Assuming they put together the strongest squad in the Championship and win it, and their crowds stay above 3000, then yes, they're in the box seat to replace whoever go up this year.

Of the Calder clubs I suspect IMI have them as the preferred option.....it's a city and has a nice shiney new stand and improvements.....

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Wakey have the advantage of having an academy over Fev, but I don’t see what other huge advantages they have over us. 

For two out of the three years Wakefield have been in Super League and as a result had better attendances and TV viewership than Fev. Those two years have given them better league position and profit. All of those are awarded IMG points.

Fev (or London or Bradford) might get one year of those SL inflated figures, but it will be difficult to overhaul those gained in two years by Trin.

Wakefield's new stand should ensure they get full marks for the ground and add to their financial diversification and sustainability scores.

Edited by Barley Mow

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

It seems sensible to hold off when you don’t know what division you’ll be in next season. If they re-signed all their players and went up, they’d be accused of lacking ambition when they didn’t sign anyone new. 

Imagine they get promoted and sign 15 new guys for a single season of SL. Where does the 2023 squad go in 2024? In 2025, do they just re-sign the 2023 lads who've all moved on?

If they were serious, they'd re-sign the bulk of this year's squad now and - promotion or not - focus on the off-field business.

14 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Shut up

If you're so precious about people commenting on London RL, I suggest you don't frequent a forum populated by people that might talk about London RL and the lack of anything that the Broncos are doing.

27 minutes ago, Click said:

If you're so precious about people commenting on London RL, I suggest you don't frequent a forum populated by people that might talk about London RL and the lack of anything that the Broncos are doing.

He asked a stupid question and he got the reply it deserved.  Your 2nd point is also stupid so I won't respond to that either.

6 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

He asked a stupid question and he got the reply it deserved.  Your 2nd point is also stupid so I won't respond to that either.

You said "They're doing some good things and the team and coach deserve lots of praise" - So someone asked what good things they were doing.

Are you just referring to the team on the field? I assume you were, as I cannot see any other "good" things they may be doing.

Again, if you are so defensive about the Broncos, perhaps a forum isn't the best place. 

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

For two out of the three years Wakefield have been in Super League and as a result had better attendances and TV viewership than Fev. Those two years have given them better league position and profit. All of those are awarded IMG points.

Fev (or London or Bradford) might get one year of those SL inflated figures, but it will be difficult to overhaul those gained in two years by Trin.

Wakefield's new stand should ensure they get full marks for the ground and add to their financial diversification and sustainability scores.

Fair point.

28 minutes ago, Click said:

You said "They're doing some good things and the team and coach deserve lots of praise" - So someone asked what good things they were doing.

Are you just referring to the team on the field? I assume you were, as I cannot see any other "good" things they may be doing.

Again, if you are so defensive about the Broncos, perhaps a forum isn't the best place. 

I assume everyone on here's an RL fan. Any RL fan can clearly see what good things they are doing.  I said they are doing 'some good things'.  It's hardly a controversial comment needing extra clarification, unless you're an anti Broncos troll which i assume you and him are.

4 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I assume everyone on here's an RL fan. Any RL fan can clearly see what good things they are doing.  I said they are doing 'some good things'.  It's hardly a controversial comment needing extra clarification, unless you're an anti Broncos troll which i assume you and him are.

Yes, I am very much an anti Broncos troll. I have only been regularly going to watch them since I was a child in the 90s, and only in more recent years stopped going. But I am glad you are here to tell me my opinions and thoughts on my RL club.

Apparently the "good things" they are doing are only seen by yourself. Unless, again you are just talking about performances on the field? Then sure, they have done alright, but other than that?

I didn't realise there were any "die hard" fans left of the Broncos after everything that has happened over the last 20 years, fair play to you sir.

8 minutes ago, Click said:

Yes, I am very much an anti Broncos troll. I have only been regularly going to watch them since I was a child in the 90s, and only in more recent years stopped going. But I am glad you are here to tell me my opinions and thoughts on my RL club.

Apparently the "good things" they are doing are only seen by yourself. Unless, again you are just talking about performances on the field? Then sure, they have done alright, but other than that?

I didn't realise there were any "die hard" fans left of the Broncos after everything that has happened over the last 20 years, fair play to you sir.

I'm not a die hard Broncos fan, not even a fan tbh, i was a season ticket holder years and years ago.  I'm not the only one who can see the good things they're doing.  Any RL fan who can't see any of the good things for themselves clearly has a chip on their shoulder and blinkers on.  Probably deliberately to make a point.  I'll communicate with anyone who wants to have a good faith conversation about it.  But instantly dismissing the possibility just shows people up for what they are.

12 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I'm not a die hard Broncos fan, not even a fan tbh, i was a season ticket holder years and years ago.  I'm not the only one who can see the good things they're doing.  Any RL fan who can't see any of the good things for themselves clearly has a chip on their shoulder and blinkers on.  Probably deliberately to make a point.  I'll communicate with anyone who wants to have a good faith conversation about it.  But instantly dismissing the possibility just shows people up for what they are.

I consider myself to be a RL fan, I'm entirely neutral on London Broncos but would be grateful for a bit more information on what good things the club are doing.

They've had a fantastic second half to the season on the field. They've finished higher in the table than I anticipated and must be thrilled to have reached the play-off semi-finals. Is it those good things on the field that you are referring to? Or are there other things - academy developing star players,  community work, off-field investments, etc - that I haven't noticed from 200+ miles away?

Edited by Barley Mow

If we're looking at this from commercial growth POV, it's mental that Super League finds itself in a position where it's down to fortune as to whether London (population: 8,776,535) will be in its elite comp or Featherstone (population: 18,086).

Just get them in and leave them in, then investors will come along. I mean, WTF are we doing here?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just get them in and leave them in, then investors will come along. 

You needn't worry, chief. Your Dons will get their rent cheque regardless.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, yeah. Play the ball not the man etc.

Seriously though, it's mental. The NRL wouldn't be leaving having say, Melbourne or Wagga Wagga, to chance. 

No, but the Premier League promoted Luton not Coventry.

Mind you, they do also insist on enforceable minimum standards.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Seriously though, it's mental. The NRL wouldn't be leaving having say, Melbourne or Wagga Wagga, to chance. 

You're conflating two issues.

Should the RFL invest in London RL. I absolutely think they should.

Is an investment in the London Broncos sensible? Not a chance, as things stand.

It isn't chance though.

- It is currently based on on-field performance.

- In the past it has been based on meeting criteria to obtain a licence.

- From next year it will be based on obtaining points for on and off-field accomplishment.

There are reasons for supporting each of these. We all have our preferences. Licencing/franchising isn't more obvious than the other options, some people just give more weight to the arguments in favour of it, others favour the other arguments.

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

You're conflating two issues.

Should the RFL invest in London RL. I absolutely think they should.

Is an investment in the London Broncos sensible? Not a chance, as things stand.

Even if the RFL had two pennies to rub together, it shouldn't need to invest in London if the market conditions were sensible.

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If we're looking at this from commercial growth POV, it's mental that Super League finds itself in a position where it's down to fortune as to whether London (population: 8,776,535) will be in its elite comp or Featherstone (population: 18,086).

Just get them in and leave them in, then investors will come along. I mean, WTF are we doing here?

Running Super League on "it'll just happen" is why the game is where it is. London won't just get investors until they stop moving grounds at the drop of a hat, or have a recognisable squad from year to year. Same thing as when Toulouse were promoted and the game's ills were supposed to be solved as they'd magically bring in additional sponsorship and a TV deal. Cherry picking sides into Super League based on where they are because "it'll just happen", isn't the way.

• Like 1