Championship Meeting

18 hours ago, Griff said:

It's not a debate - the clubs voted for it.

To be fair, though, things have changed dramatically since then. I can't be bothered to look back but did we not have 28 or so clubs below Superleague? A 28 club division would be totally unwieldy with probably three quarters of the clubs having nothing to play for realistically.

Split it into 4 Conferences and then there's plenty to play for.

4 conf Winners,

4 conf Runners Up

Play off Winners and R/U - involving  top 2 in each group

Promotion [if not robbed by Unfair grading system]

That's 11 things to aim at.

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

Yet champ clubs are at fault for league 1’s problems? The league isn’t fit for purpose never as been, majority of the clubs in league 1 are just above amateur level, I’d hazard a guess some amateur clubs are better supported too. You have to remember champ clubs now are on massively reduced funding no tv deal means less sponsorship money also, so that’s a double financial whammy, then the central funding as been slashed, champ clubs are a business first and foremost and they will do what’s best for them like SL clubs continue to do. 

The majority of league one clubs are just above amateur? How many league one games have you seen?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

The majority of league one clubs are just above amateur? How many league one games have you seen?

Seen enough to know it’s a very poor standard. Clubs that get promoted usually sign near enough a new team and still go back down. So if it’s that good why do clubs get rid of most when they’re promoted? 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's a bare faced lie.

I’d rather watch fev lions so it isn’t lol. Dewsbury blitzed that league last season if league 1 still exists I bet they go straight back down and they will sign better players then they had last season. 

Edited by Rovers13

23 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Split it into 4 Conferences and then there's plenty to play for.

4 conf Winners,

4 conf Runners Up

Play off Winners and R/U - involving  top 2 in each group

Promotion [if not robbed by Unfair grading system]

That's 11 things to aim at.

Four conferences won't happen. Too many blow out scores.

The work in America because the teams are closer to each other in ability. Not the case here.

Crazy idea.

• Sad 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I’d rather watch fev lions so it isn’t lol. Dewsbury blitzed that league last season if league 1 still exists I bet they go straight back down and they will sign better players then they had last season. 

No they didn't and no they won't.

• Like 1

Seen enough to know it’s a very poor standard. Clubs that get promoted usually sign near enough a new team and still go back down. So if it’s that good why do clubs get rid of most when they’re promoted? 

I’ve been following this thread and you’ve actually made some good points at times and other times total rubbish. This is one of the latter. Are you seriously saying that Keighley, Rochdale, Donny and the rest are just above amateur. I doubt you’ve seen much of league 1 and you’ve just jumped in without thought and now you’ll waffle about to save face. 

• Like 2

Just now, clwydianrange said:

I’ve been following this thread and you’ve actually made some good points at times and other times total rubbish. This is one of the latter. Are you seriously saying that Keighley, Rochdale, Donny and the rest are just above amateur. I doubt you’ve seen much of league 1 and you’ve just jumped in without thought and now you’ll waffle about to save face. 

Just above amateur was a phrase of speech because they’re just above amateur level. I didn’t actually mean amateur teams could actually beat them (but some have in past).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Isn't that what York did after the original club folded in 2002? The Knights couldn't get things ready in time (or were told they weren't ready) for the 2002 season but the newly formed Knights applied to join the league and were accepted starting in 2003? If I am remembering correctly they had a year out before the resurrected club joined so there would be precedent for it happening if Newcastle are able to organise something even if it was for 2025.

Actually that isn’t what happened, the club ceased to exist and another club was formed with different owners and a different name, albeit still retaining York in the new clubs name who then applied to be admitted to the League the following season, not re-admitted, which is different from asking to take a year out. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Do you have a better one - or just yet more negativity?

Over the course of the thread, I've suggested four or five, albeit I've dismissed a couple of those as impractical.

It'd be nice to know what League 1 actually want.

2 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

You can dress it up in as many fancy bows as you like league 1 clubs bring nothing to the championship, yes that mentality is wrong but its same for some champ clubs going into SL according to SL fans. 

i thought barrow brought a fair but to the championship as did Bradford when they got promoted and i suspect Dewsbury will do next season and maybe Doncaster

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

i thought barrow brought a fair but to the championship as did Bradford when they got promoted and i suspect Dewsbury will do next season and maybe Doncaster

I’m not disputing that I think every club brings something to the game I was using the SL mantra of you will bring nothing stay where you are. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

As ever, it depends who they sign and, possibly more importantly, if they do well in 2024, whether they can sustain it in 2025. Quite often, there's a massive drop off.

14 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I’m not disputing that I think every club brings something to the game I was using the SL mantra of you will bring nothing stay where you are. 

if that was the case then promotion would never have been reintroduced after licensing and Catalan would not be in super league. indeed, London would not be in super league next season given they have a bit less traveling support ten Wakefield.

are you not just a little bitter that fev after spending more money than anyone yet again failed to be promoted again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

if that was the case then promotion would never have been reintroduced after licensing and Catalan would not be in super league. indeed, London would not be in super league next season given they have a bit less traveling support ten Wakefield.

are you not just a little bitter that fev after spending more money than anyone yet again failed to be promoted again.

I’m used to where my club is this is about corruption not losing on the pitch. You do know we lost our place in SL for a team that doesn’t exist anymore? I’m bitter about that not what happens on the field. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

As ever, it depends who they sign and, possibly more importantly, if they do well in 2024, whether they can sustain it in 2025. Quite often, there's a massive drop off.

that's always been the case in all divisions. all teams spend as much as they can and, in some cases, more than they should by chasing a dream that will cripple them so is that not an argument against promotion in the tradition way. 

1 minute ago, paul hicks said:

that's always been the case in all divisions. all teams spend as much as they can and, in some cases, more than they should by chasing a dream that will cripple them so is that not an argument against promotion in the tradition way. 

Sport is about dreams that’s what it’s all about, I’d rather their not be a fev trying to chase a dream than not be a fev that’s stuck in a league they can’t do anything about. 

3 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I’m used to where my club is this is about corruption not losing on the pitch. You do know we lost our place in SL for a team that doesn’t exist anymore? I’m bitter about that not what happens on the field. 

corruption is a big claim and something i don't recognise as a fact. of course, if you have proof of actual corruption then i would be interested to hear about it as a fact but not if it's just bitterness because the process did not suit you .

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Sport is about dreams that’s what it’s all about, I’d rather their not be a fev trying to chase a dream than not be a fev that’s stuck in a league they can’t do anything about. 

fev have had a number of chances to achieve that dream including in 2023 which was there best chance i would think and i would say if they could not manage it in 2023 then i think that dream has had its day. 

13 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

OK - what evidence do you have of corruption?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

It's not so long since you were saying you were fine with London beating you, better side, that's sport, no no, it's just kids on Facebook who are saying we were cheated by the system.

A few days later - here we are.  Another Fev supporter claiming the game's corrupt.

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Griff said:

The decisions are made by the clubs.  They vote.  The role of the RFL is to do as it's told.

The number of fans who still fail to understand this is truly staggering.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

27 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

Sure.  Hence the opening to my post.  As ever.